Said farewell to the Jag

Having `lusted` after a Jaguar XJ all my adult life, I finally got one early last year…a 53 reg 3.5 V8 . I usually change my car after a year or so, so started looking for a used one earlier this year. I must be honest and say that Skoda was not on my radar, but with an open mind I went into the dealership in Peterborough. I was mighty impressed with the metal I saw and especially the deals that were available (which, incidentally have now been extended until 30th September). To cut a long story short, I ordered a Superb 1.8 TSI DSG Elegance Twindoor. Now, a few years back, who would have thought that anybody would be swapping a Jaguar for a Skoda!!!

I collected the car this morning and I have to say how delighted I am. For an engine half the size of the Jag (though turbo charged) I was impressed by the power delivery. I was a little concerned about the ride, being as the Jag had air suspension, but again I was impressed. I know I have only driven the car for 50 miles or so (plus the test drive) but it is smooth. The noise level is good too…not too much from the wind or the tyres. My car has KESSY so I’m able to answer some of the questions I have been asking on here over the last 2 months or so…namely YES you can set the car up so as all doors open with one touch of the drivers or passengers door handle, and YES you can open the boot of the locked car without taking the key out of your pocket.

Many thanks to all that have answered my questions so far…there will probably be more, and I look forward to many years as a Skoda owner.

• Like 1

You won't be the last to trade "down" and feel as if you've traded up. I'm new to Skoda as well, but my Superb Elegance is like a limousine. Welcome to the club!

Enjoy. The Jag is a lovely car but so is the Superb.

It's funny as today I saw a Jag XF and a Superb both in black parked up next to each other and I thought about just how good the Superb stacks up against the Jag.

Phil

I must say, i like the Jaguar XF. Unlike Audi, BMW, Mercedes, you don't see them too often and it has touch of elegance that the germans just can't create.

That said, i drive a Superb. I could not justify the 5.000 pound extra for the XF.

Edited by tomcatdk

Superb tempts me now and again but I need my speed fix over and done with before I move "up" to the Superb :)

Enjoy!

I test drove back-to-back an Octavia CR VRS and a Superb CR 170bhp and the Superb actually felt faster. In the end I bought a petrol because of a great deal I couldn't ignore, but I wouldn't be put off if I were you - it's not necessarily "pipe and slippers" when you move to a Superb; it bloody shifts, believe me.

I test drove back-to-back an Octavia CR VRS and a Superb CR 170bhp and the Superb actually felt faster. In the end I bought a petrol because of a great deal I couldn't ignore, but I wouldn't be put off if I were you - it's not necessarily "pipe and slippers" when you move to a Superb; it bloody shifts, believe me.

The dsg in the Superb is a world apart fron the Octavia that's why it feels faster. For some inexplicable reason Skoda have decided that a faster reacting gearbox should be fitted to the Superb not the vRS??????

Idiots!

The dsg in the Superb is a world apart fron the Octavia that's why it feels faster. For some inexplicable reason Skoda have decided that a faster reacting gearbox should be fitted to the Superb not the vRS??????

Idiots!

Can the DSG Box in the Octavia Vrs be altered by software so it's the same as the Superb.

Can the DSG Box in the Octavia Vrs be altered by software so it's the same as the Superb.

Believe me i've tried.

I've taken readings from the Superb and the vRS and there doesn't appear to be any difference not that you can change them anyway as far as I can tell. There are certain perameters you can change but they did not seem to do anything. Without knowing what I was doing to the gearbox I didn't have the nuts to venture any further. Perhaps it takes time for the changes to kick in, who knows.

Idiots!

Possibly, but it was two manuals I drove.

Idiots!

Its the same?! It has an adaptive ECU on the box to change the shift times based on your style of driving. After a week of driving up and down hills in Germany mine is changing up at around 1.3-5k which is annoying for the moment until it re-learns.

As for shift times, i believe it is 8ms for all gears in all gearboxes......unless you confuse the gearbox by needing a gear that the other clutch isn't already in, such as if you are slowing down and then quickly accelerate.

Superb tempts me now and again but I need my speed fix over and done with before I move "up" to the Superb :)

Enjoy!

Find yourself a used 3.6 4x4, it will not dissappoint.

I too, have recently changed 'up' from a 4 year old XJ and am not dissapointed at all. I have never had so many comments, made to me, about a car, in my life. I was even stopped at the entrance to the car park at Chester Races, on race,day, so the ticket seller could talk about it. I've never experienced that in a Jag, ever.

Superb 2.0 TDI CR DPF DSG Elegance by the way.

Pete

I too, have recently changed 'up' from a 4 year old XJ and am not dissapointed at all. I have never had so many comments, made to me, about a car, in my life. I was even stopped at the entrance to the car park at Chester Races, on race,day, so the ticket seller could talk about it. I've never experienced that in a Jag, ever.

Superb 2.0 TDI CR DPF DSG Elegance by the way.

Pete

Estate or Twindoor?