Help - Horn not working

Hi, help needed to fix the horn on my 2005 Octavia II.

Just stopped working, I checked the fuse, all ok and power going through the fuse. Next checked the horn itself by taking it off and connecting to a battery, made me jump so nothing wrong there, but no power through the connector.

So off with the airbag unit and eventually the steering wheel, can't find anything except only getting 4.5 to 5 volts to the horn connector.

Now it's pure guesswork from now on for me. Is there some control box with something wrong in it?

Is there anything else I can try?

I'm getting close to visiting the main dealer but I fear I may have to save up for sometime before I let them loose.

Any help appreciated.

Did you check the Horn Relay under the Steering? It's the 449 as can be seen in this pic:

under-dash-1.jpg

No, there is no mention of a relay in the owners handbook only fuses , but I plan to check this out today.

Looking at your photo I can swap the relays around to see if that works.

the horn works through the steering control module, which is fitted under the steering column. it's basically a printed circuit board with part of the board for the horn. you can get used steering control modules on ebay.

the horn works through the steering control module, which is fitted under the steering column. it's basically a printed circuit board with part of the board for the horn. you can get used steering control modules on ebay.

Thanks will look at that.

The horn definetly goes via the steering control module, so if you've checked everything else, i'd say the module is the problem.

I've a vw caddy that I use for work,  last year I decided to fit cruise control to the van,  after doing a bit of research, I found out I had to change the steering control module from a lowline module to a midline module, plus change the indicator stalk. so I got a used steering control module from ebay and a new stalk from vw, fitted everything, got the cruise working but the horn wouldn't work.    After pi$$ing about & wondering what the problem was,  I decided to get another control module, and this got the horn / cruise working.

you'll need vag-com [vcds] to code your new module, unless your lucky enough to get one with the exact same coding as your existing.

here's a link about steering control modules   http://wiki.ross-tech.com/wiki/index.php/Steering_Wheel_Control_Module_Versions