Hi, I'm thinking about changing air filter after 20k miles even when schedule says 40k. Would you recommend it?

Would this one be enough? http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/350729173090?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

or should I pay bit more for this one? http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/160971928788?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

Thanks for the advice.

I'm sure I only paid £15 something at the dealers for an OE one from my local dealer (1K0 129 620 D). Skodaparts have them for £13 http://www.skodaparts.com/product/air-filter-octavia-golf-turan-30047

I have a 1.8 TSI (but it looked the same as the one from my Octavia 2.0 TDI 140 BKD). 

I would stick with genuine and I do mine every 10,000 miles. They are so cheap and an easy way to keep them on the top of their game

And chance blocking the MAF with the filter oil..... I had a green cotton one in my Toledo and it was a faf. Cleaning it and oiling took to long compared to swapping a simple paper filter. 

I changed to a K&N on Day 1 with my Superb so didn't have a chance, really, to compare back-to-back.  With my previous Saab 9-3, however, it made a noticeable difference to smoothness, throttle response, tractability.  You only have to clean and oil it every 40,000 miles or so...

• Like 1

Fouling the MAF with oil from a K&N filter is pure myth, never been known or proven. The quantity of oil required to recharge after cleaning is so small the filter is almost completely dry, if any oil is picked up on your fingers after the soak-in period it has been drastically over oiled.

It should only need cleaning every 40,000 miles unless you live in a very dusty area or even a desert when it could need cleaning earlier.

Another myth is that they will not filter out particles which could damage an engine.

If you have a MKII vehicle look inside the air cleaner box, look in the bottom at the back left side (looking from the front) and see what any filter will filter out in this position.

I DO NOT WORK OR HAVE ANY CONNECTGION WITH K&N OR ANY OTHER AIR FILTER MANUFACTURER.

I was a Motor Vehicle Technician for over 40 years, I once had a quite highly tuned Ford, self tuneed, kept this vehicle for 14 years  never gave any trouble.

• 1 year later...

K&N arrived this morning for my 3.6 :)

I've driven the car for a couple of months now on the standard filter so it'll be interesting to see what change I get, induction roar aside, on performance.

Dave.

• Like 1

• 1 year later...