1.8 TSI DSG 7spd - Judder on pull away, worse with heavy car

DBT85

Some info first

My car is 3 years old give or take a month, 18 months of that is mine

it has 28,000 on the clock, 14,000 is mine

Its the 7 speed DSG 1.8 with the 1.8TSI Engine

Originally it was due in last week for it's first MOT. 2 days before that I took the in-laws to the airport, total of 4 people in the car with luggage. When pulling away at usual speeds the car would vibrate quite violently but the traction control light never came on, and there was still a slight little vibration when it shifted into 2nd. It would be fine once the car was moving again.

The next morning Allams called to remind me about my appointment and I took the opportunity to tell them about the issue. Making quite clear that with the cars standard warranty about to expire, I didn't want a bill in 6 months if something pops that reared it's head before the warranty ran out. They said they can do both the MOT and look at the problem today as I'd need a hire car.

In the intervening time I used the car as little as possible, but I did notice that even with just me in the car it would vibrate only much more gently, when pulling away occasionally but not always.

Reading around could this be a DMF on it's way? Or could I be looking at something more related to the DSG?

Does the petrol have a DMF?

It sounds like it could be the clutch pack that's faulty - seems to be known issue on some of the 7sp DSG. I think the replacement packs solve the issue but the sensation can be quite violent when pulling away.

Ok, they couldn't seem to get it to do it, so I took one of the guys out along with their Master Technician.

It refused to do it 4 or 5 times but was a bit lumpy when changing gears. The technician leaned forward and just asked me to pull away as slowly as physically possible, and it did it. Only a wee one, but enough for them to acknowledge it.

As soon as that happened both immediately knew what it was.

Apparently there is a Technical Bulletin regarding the clutches, I don't know if it's specifically for the 7 speed DSG that mine has, or the clutches in particular or what.

Apparently there are a few stages they have to go through to adjust the settings electronically and if that doesn't do the trick then it's a new clutch. Booked in for the 7th for them to do it.

I'll keep the thread updated as I go, partly for my own record keeping but also so anyone else can see what happened.

Does the petrol have a DMF?

It sounds like it could be the clutch pack that's faulty - seems to be known issue on some of the 7sp DSG. I think the replacement packs solve the issue but the sensation can be quite violent when pulling away.

I think it might have turned the indicator on once when it did it. So yeah fairly violent.

• 2 weeks later...

Ok, the car is in today for Allams to look at the clutch. The guy who took my keys said he would guess it'll be back with me by tomorrow evening.

We shall see!

Judder at the final stages of slowing down (traffic lights, stop etc) is classic sign of DSG clutch pack needing replacement. Don't let them fob you off, it's a very well known and documented issue, on early cars clutches were too weak and are being currently being replaced with uprated model all around the world as a warranty/good will gesture.

They already updated the clutch pack once, starting with cars made in May 2011.

The clutch kit in the DSG7 is made by LuK, and here's the page from their parts catalogue.

KpzJEUW.png

That's the kit for cars up to April 2011. The newer pack is not yet listed, so it's probably only available through the VAG dealer network. 

Well I picked it up today expecting them to only have adjusted the electronics, but they replaced the entire clutch pack. Apparently the changes they made didn't work so they just did it all under warranty. The warranty ran out 9 days ago, fortunately I told them about the problem 5 days before it ran out!

Car goes beautifully now, maybe even better than when I first had it. It's odd driving it though when you are still expecting it to judder and it doesn't.

The car did 10 miles while it was with them, and was on for 70 minutes in total.

• 3 weeks later...

Well I picked it up today expecting them to only have adjusted the electronics, but they replaced the entire clutch pack. Apparently the changes they made didn't work so they just did it all under warranty. The warranty ran out 9 days ago, fortunately I told them about the problem 5 days before it ran out!

Car goes beautifully now, maybe even better than when I first had it. It's odd driving it though when you are still expecting it to judder and it doesn't.

The car did 10 miles while it was with them, and was on for 70 minutes in total.

Hi, if you like you are more than welcome to take the DSG Problems Survey ->> Here ->>

Thanks!

• Like 1