Audi S1 BRIEF REVIEW in Autocar and Autoexpress today.

vrskeith

When Skoda announced that the MK3 Fabia would be out late next year they did actually say NO vRS.

So there go the new customers & those who currently have one & would like another .

Accept that it's a different market but would like to see a comparison "FUN " test with the S3.

Chuckabilty and power /weight uumph!

Fun factor pound for pound VFM.

Could be interesting.

If they get it right, it could be a good driver's car and stick two fingers up to the "lifeless steering" comments that are always aimed at most S and RS Audis.

But would they make an S1 that's better to drive than an S3, 4 or 5?

• Like 1

Just had 2 A1's outside my house, Driving Instructors cars. (its usually them or Clattering Diesel Minis.)  

As much as i really like them inside,

They are Pig Ugly cars. Even in the dark.

Dark Grey Metallic or Black would have to be the way to go for me, & bin that rear roof Spoiler.

Furbytom, on 05 Mar 2014 - 17:23, said:

We had a look at The A1 a little while back. The interior was lovely on the s-line but the boot seemed tiny compared to the Fabia hatch - I'd assume that with the addition of 4WD the boot will get even smaller. Not that most buyers in the market would care about that tbh.

I'm looking forward to having a test-drive in one of these.

So did we I found the car overall very cramped (6ft 1) and when u have people in the rear seats my knees were almost around my ears.....another pet hate of mine are these huge dashboards.....make smaller dash boards and u'll have more space inside....it can't be that hard can it...???? :wonder:

• Like 1

Simple Then, put the drive train etc. in the Fabia vRS MK3,  then we just might have the motor with go ,handling and practical space .

Solved your problem.

Oh! and at least £3 k cheaper

• 2 weeks later...

I see today that AUTOCAR has an actual driving review published today. 

Getting to really like the look of this potentially FABIA vRS  fun car.

Yes it's a bit on the small side and a bit pricey, which flies in the  face of the Skoda packaging ethos.( vfm)

In the absence of a mk3 vRS, this might be the Enjoyment factor for me ,even with the Fiesta ST around.

Consider it to be 2+2 package.

Now waiting for my test drive-probably more country lane fun than an S3.or Mini Cooper S. 

If Skoda are going Rallying with a 1.6T R5,

then it will need to be in the Body Shape of a MK3 Fabia or Rapid Spaceback surely.

So you would hope there might be a slightly nippy model on sale to the public,

and 122 PS will not be the only option.

No point going on about Motor Sport Heritage, Rallying Success & all you have for sale is cars with 

'Sporty Looks'

or Sporty Family saloons and estate that resemble Taxis & Airport Transport,

some of them with diesels that sound like Taxis..

• Like 1

If Skoda are going Rallying with a 1.6T R5,

then it will need to be in the Body Shape of a MK3 Fabia or Rapid Spaceback surely.

So you would hope there might be a slightly nippy model on sale to the public,

and 122 PS will not be the only option.

No point going on about Motor Sport Heritage, Rallying Success & all you have for sale is cars with 

'Sporty Looks' or Sporty Looking ones that resemble Taxis..

Lets hope so George.

We need some inside info George.

Only problem is that it normally it takes Skoda 3 years to launch a breathed on car, after the launch of the base cars.

So maybe it's 2017/18 before we see anything.

They need to get their fingers out in R&D and marketing for what the punters desire - e.g. manual and DSG options and not be constrained as they were in the Fabia MK2 vRS.

Dr Winfried Vahland is the man that can, the man that knows,  or just the VAG Brown Nose.

We need to see what they price Mk3's at. and just what they reveal,

because Rapids are just a bit too expensive IMO, not very advanced and options for Skodas are just silly in price.

So as VW & Audi quote better value prices, Skoda seem to rise.

http://www.broadspeed.com/new_cars/Skoda/Rapid

http://www.broadspeed.com/new_cars/Skoda/Fabia

Looks like Ford might be the winner for capable cars with a choice of power outputs at more affordable prices.

Ford seem to have buyers in the UK for nippy cars and can produce cars that handle well

even if we only have 60 mph National Speed limits, and ever car on sale in the UK no matter how cheap can get around corners safely, even in the wet.

(well as long as manufacturers are fitting ECO tyres.)

• Like 1

Skoda missed the window of opportunity, a year or so ago coulD have facelifted the vRS, WITH NEW MOTOR AND MANUAL BOX. 

Please, a choice of manual or DSG; DSG is fantastic and the way forward.

• Like 1

Please, a choice of manual or DSG; DSG is fantastic and the way forward.

Okay, think there should be an option for the punter then.

Interesting to see the split stats, when you have the option on new- i.e. Octavia vRS.

I enjoyed driving my Fabia vRS MK2 but my personal preference would be a slick manual box.

'Top Gear' mag for this month just dropped through the door.

Good Articles IMO

Ones on the Audi S1,

Fiesta ST vs MINI Cooper S,

vRS Skoda Octavia Estate, long termer,   Citigo etc etc    

Thanks George, will check it out.

S1,wonder when the first Demo will arrive in UK showrooms, for a "real test drive" .Rather than consume the hype and magazine bull.?

My dealership tells me that their first available Demo won't be available until June 2014 for Customers.

Shame that it's a 3 months wait, post press testing.

Strange Hot Hatch test in Auto Car this week.

180 bhp,

Fiesta ST2  1596cc, Manual, 17" Alloys, £17,995  

3 door , 1163 kg kerb weight

155 bhp ,

Citroen DS3 1598cc, Manual 17" Alloys, £17,800

3 door , 1185 kg kerb weight

189 bhp,

MINI Cooper S , 1998cc, Manual 17" Alloys, £18,650

3 door, 1235 kg

182 bhp

Audi A1 1.4 TFSI S-Line 'S-tronic' 18" Alloys, £21,415

5 door, 1190kg

So they get the crazy priced Audi to match or beat the others on speed,

(on the table of manufacturers offiicial figures)

& not come last in their choice of the 4 cars.

But then one has only 155 bhp.

The various figures given are obviously the Manufactures and not checked,

Especially not the Audi A1 5 door which is quite a heavy lump really.

I wonder when they will compare like for like in prices and class, 

obviously a Skoda DSG & the same engine would not be considered for the Test on the prices 

of the other 3,

it might not have handled liked the others, but at least it might have better than the A1 did on 18's.

oddly they compliment the Audi chassis, handling, gearing and steering,

but they might have 'preferred the suspension to be softer'.

Just an odd set of 4 cars IMO,

putting in the Audi at near £3,000 more than the second most expensive one.

• Like 1

Yes agreed,  

so there are 3 door VW 1.4 TSI Polo GTI's if you want to be nearer the price of the MINI in a Similar Size/Style

@ £1,000 more than the MINI.

even a 3 door A1 Twincharger.

(as it is they published the kerb weight Audi give for a 3 door, even though that is still not correct.)

3 x 3 door Manuals

& 1, 5 door Semi Automatic, £3,000 more expensive than the cheapest is a bit of a leap.

EDIT,

forget that,

it looks like the Polo GTI production must have stopped,

Audi are maybe trying to get shot of the last of the A1's they have.

http://autocar.co.uk/car-news/week-autocar/autocar-magazine-26-march-preview

Bare figures are misleading in those tests at any rate - the Citroen is obviously in because it matches on price, the Audi because it matches on performance (according to bare stats).  Fiesta is benchmark (isn't it?) and Mini the new model (but heavier and pricier).

But then as with every test, the price printed is garbage, because the press car will have EVERY option box ticked, making it £3000+ more expensive than the list price given and probably weigh a bit more. 

I also question the logic of that, because some options are handling enhancements, so if a car comes up trumps on the test for ride and handling, but has the £3000 Magno-hurological (or whatever they call it) suspension package, then is it a fair test?

The Citroen looks well of the mark though for Fiesta money, but 25bhp down for a similar weight.  Equally, the Mini looks a good 70kgs heavier (extra passenger anyone?) for only 9bhp, but I bet they praise it's 1.6 T engine and chassis and the fact it's a Mini...

They should let me do the tests - give me the theoretical amount of money (in this case 4 x £17k) and see what I can get with a +/-10% performance/stats margin limit.  There should also be a +/-10% price factor if something extraordinary is available. 

For instance, for that money you can almost get a Kia Pro'ceed GT (201bhp, £18k? Of the top of my head).

• 1 month later...

Corking little motor but with everything Audi its too expensive.

By the time you've added sone useful spec and the styling packs you're looking at a 30k A1,just madness.