Auxiliary Heater (Cabin Heater) Exhaust running in general...

Hi. Regarding my 2.0 diesel, 2010 Superb. I have noticed on a few occasions lately that the dedicated exhaust pipe for the auxiliary heating is pumping out smoke/fumes after I start up the car.

I am referring to the small exhaust pipe under the cars engine, not the main exhaust at the back of the car.

This happens even if I do not activate the auxiliary heating by the remote key fob, and the auxiliary heating is not set on a timer either.

I assume the auxiliary heating is running if this is pumping out exhaust fumes, or am I wrong?

I'd prefer for it not to run! It has been cold of late (winter, between -5 and +5'c). Is this something to do with it being active without me manually activating it? Maybe it happens all the time, but I only notice on some days (e.g. frosty, non-windy days)

• 1 month later...

The auxiliary heater should activate automatically to assist the coolant temperature to reach normal operating levels. This will put less stress on the engine, reduce emissions and help to heat up the cabin quicker.

I'd assume this is what's happening. But why wouldn't you want it to do this? As far as I understand it, this operation has only advantages, and it's one of the main reasons for me to order my car with the auxiliary heater.

Do all Superb diesels have the aux. heater?

Thanks,

Rob

There are two possible aux heaters and they are both optional (depending on market).

One is a webasto/eiberspacher that burns diesel to heat the coolant.  It also has a remote control and timer so you can set it to come on.  If you have this one, you may have an extra button in your climate controls that looks like a flat line with wavy vertical lines coming up.  It doesn't require the engine to be running to operate.  It's not an option in all markets, for example, it's not an option in AU (neither is the heated windscreen).

The second is an electric booster heater.  This isn't 'option-able' as such, VAG just includes it based on the market if they think the car needs it.  It directly heats the air that passes through the airbox and consumes electricity from the alternator (up to around 900 watts when flat out).  It requires the engine to be running to operate.  I have retrofitted this to my car and it works well.  It has no visible controls.

• Like 2

It's unlikely you will have the heater in Ireland.

At most you will have the PTC electric heater element inside the heater matrix. This just runs on electricity to heat the cabin.

Again though it's optional and not available in msot countries.

Phil

Aux heater is a €200 option in Ireland.  I didn't bother with it myself

I presume thats for the electric one not the diesel fueled?

I had a diesel one on a Fiat Ulysse a few years back and rarely used it.

I presume thats for the electric one not the diesel fueled?

I had a diesel one on a Fiat Ulysse a few years back and rarely used it.

Yes that's the electric one

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk