Buying Advice for a new Fabia

Hello

This is my first post but my ex-girlfriend was on here when I advised her to buy a new ŠKODA Fabia in SE plus trim.

I really liked her Fabia so when it came to advising my Mother what car to get to replace her 1996 Nissan Primera 2.0 SE ŠKODA was my first choice.

Initially we looked at the Rapid but we decided it was too big so the Fabia was the best suited.

Before we go to the dealer again to start negotiating I thought I would ask some questions.

Here goes:-

• What are the delivery time scale for a vRS?
  • What type of discounts are available on vRS model?
  • Are there discounts available on factory fitted optional extras or are they fixed price?
  • Is it better to get a personal load or the ŠKODA Finance packages when negotiating a price?
  • On the vRS there is an option of having a Multi-Function Steering Wheel for £165. What does this have that the standard MFSW one doesn't?
  • Around what build week does the Model Year get revised for the Fabia?
  • With the introduction of the new Fabia happening has there been announcement regarding a cut off date for orders being taken?
  • Has there been any announcement regarding making the existing engine line-up becoming European 6 compliant.

Probably there will be more questions as I look more at the brochure.

Thanks.

Welcome to the forum.

I have bumped the thread on some bargain demonstrators & pre reg vRS around the country.

You can maybe save your self a couple of thousand with these.

there are a good choice of cars already in the UK 63 or 14 plate.

Have fun looking. 

See what dealers near you are saying.

george

• Like 1

We know that Skoda are supposed to reveal the Fabia MK3 in the Autumn for 2015.

But there could be good engine choices.

the Fabia mk2 out sold all other Skodas in the UK last year, nearly half UK Skoda sold were Fabias.

& this first Quarter 2014, Skoda Registered over 5,700 Fabia, more than they registers Octavias,

& twice as many as Citigos.

So the Mk3 Mabia needs to be good.

Maybe Deactivating Cylinders,

cars with Electric Motors & Petrol/Hybrid coming in at some point like with small VW & Audi.

We need to wait and see what Euro 6 engines are fitted.

george

Fabia 3 out in the autumn going to have a 1ltr 3 pot and a turbo version from the citygo sounds rubbish + 1.2 tdi 

I didn't realise it was going to be out so soon.

So I guess the production line for the current model will be stopped soon as they get ready for the new model.

I doubt there'll be any revised model build now with it being a run out model.

Add whatever options you would like before you nail a price, that way you'll get a discount on the whole package rather than just the base price.

They may have some pre build stock and as George says, trying looking at late demonstrators or 14 plate pre regs as they'll probably start panicking thinking that they're not going to get rid of them prior to the Mk 3 coming out.

I've had my Monte nearly a year now and will be looking at the new Mk 3 from next year but as far as everyone is aware, there's no plans for a new vRS so you might be one of the last to get a new one.

Happy haggling!!!

Thanks Gazbull17 and George.

It seems time is running out for ordering a Fabia 2 from the factory. 

I think vRS version is most suitable. It will offer diesel levels of torque without the lag or the threat of having a clogged DPF.

I hate negotiating with the dealers they never want to take money off and make you feel like rubbish for even asking for one.

My parents walked out of a Rover dealership because the attitude of the finance salesman was so bad even though the person that demonstrated the car had sold it to them.

Hello

This is my first post but my ex-girlfriend was on here when I advised her to buy a new ŠKODA Fabia in SE plus trim.

I really liked her Fabia so when it came to advising my Mother what car to get to replace her 1996 Nissan Primera 2.0 SE ŠKODA was my first choice.

Initially we looked at the Rapid but we decided it was too big so the Fabia was the best suited.

Before we go to the dealer again to start negotiating I thought I would ask some questions.

Here goes:-

• What are the delivery time scale for a vRS? I waited 3 weeks for mine as the car was already built and waiting to be shipped. Picked it up on Friday 11th.
  • What type of discounts are available on vRS model? I managed to get £2.5K knocked off using Skoda finance (Santander at 3%) rather than the 0% finance.
  • Are there discounts available on factory fitted optional extras or are they fixed price? Not sure on this but I managed a free service and a set of mats with some haggling.
  • Is it better to get a personal load or the ŠKODA Finance packages when negotiating a price? As above, the finance was cheaper as the best loan I could find was 4.5%. Payments work out cheaper with Skoda using the PCP scheme.
  • On the vRS there is an option of having a Multi-Function Steering Wheel for £165. What does this have that the standard MFSW one doesn't? Phone & radio controls etc. Styling looks alot better IMO.
  • Around what build week does the Model Year get revised for the Fabia? Not sure on this one.
  • With the introduction of the new Fabia happening has there been announcement regarding a cut off date for orders being taken? I would assume this will be very soon if not already done. You are unable to build a new vRS to your spec so will need to choose one that is very close.
  • Has there been any announcement regarding making the existing engine line-up becoming European 6 compliant. Not sure on this.

Probably there will be more questions as I look more at the brochure.

Thanks.

First off I do believe that the Fabia vRS will no longer be built to your spec (local dealer told me this before I bought mine). I had to look at cars that were similar or as close to what I wanted. Some points above after your Q's. Bare in mind the spec of mine came to £19.6K.

These are my experiences over the last few weeks but hope they help.

Edited by phil555
  • Like 1

I'd agree with George.
Get a lightly used one or ex-demo.
Far better value for money.

Dynamically the car has fallen behind other hot hatches (it's a four year old design based on a fifteen year old platform) and with no VAT free deal now the asking price doesn't add up.
Unless you have to get an auto or need the 0% PCP deal.

If you do go new it's going to depreciate heavily.

For comparison the Fiesta ST has far superior handling and isn't priced that differently.
It's got a far better set up chassis.
Yes, it's a manual but you can even boost it to 220(ish)bhp and that's covered under warranty.
A top spec one with sat nav, cruise, auto lights/wipers and DAB is available discounted to around £17,500. Lower spec models with the same handling and fun are cheaper.  Available from about £15,500.

Personally I'd go for a used bargain VRS or buy something else new.

I don't see the sense in buying an old design just before it's dropped when they are no great deals to shift them.

In a year or two you'll probably lose £5,000+ in depreciation.  On a Fabia.

Apples and pears and oranges being compared again.

No mention yet of Lemons.

So the Magazines & some motoring journalists are currently pushing on behalf of VAG the VW Polo GTI from 2010 & the FL Seat Ibiza from 2013 (2009) Bigging them up more now than they have over the past 4 years,

cars on the same platform, same engine, same gearbox, brakes and steering.

Both more expensive.

Nobody seems to worry about the 15 year platform. not that the Platform is 15 years old.

People seem to still like their Mk1's if they actually are the same platform.

http://pistonheads.com/news/29772.htm

?

So what other 5 door 180ps petrol Auto Hatch or Estate can be bought new for under £16,000 with a 5 year warranty.?

*That will be a Renault Clio RS 200 1.6T that dealers struggling to shift, so big discounts can be had,

Maybe an Ex Demo one for vRS money,

or stay VAG, petrol & auto but go 3 door and a Seat Ibiza Cupra that also are hardly flying out the door at dealers.*

http://youtube.com/watch?v=IDKQzFaUwGY

• Like 1

Pro VRS people will recommend them.

It's what you'd expect.

I've had one too.

As I said, if you need an auto they make sense.

Or an estate come to think of it.

But no amount of debate hides the fact it's an old design due for replacement so needs a big discount to take a lump out of the expected depreciation.

If the suits your needs, fine.

But as George originally said correctly (before getting defensive) go for a used or demo car.

Can save you a lot of money.

Sorry George not going to get drawn into a debate about fruit.

Weather is nice and I am busy. :)

All depends on your budget but IMO drive a shed load of little hot hatches and see what floats your boat etc. The Fabia vRS did it for me as the rest look gash.............. all IMO of course.

George is not actually defensive, he knows the downside of MK2 vRS, and that you bought one and kept for 4 days. So not your thing obviously.

Not many cars around that were introduced 4 years earlier,

that you can buy new now for the same or less new than 4 years earlier as new cars.

Thats what all the Skoda Discount thing does sometimes.

Gets you bargains through the life of a model. That was never that expensive in the first place,

The thing is that up to now the vRS depreciation has been the same as other VAG models or better over 3 years from 

new purchase at the price you get them.

Now they are stopping production of All MK2 Fabias, so people need to decide if the want to buy keepers,

or buy by value and still maybe have less depreciation than you get with a SEAT.

Anyone looking at a 5 door, probably have looked at Fiesta 3 doors or the likes,

car of the Year,  etc, great value. But 3 doors and manual.

Great drive, and probably at £17,500 now and selling lots, will loose 50% by 2017 like other Hot Hatches do. There will be no shortage used unless Ford stop production suddenly,

or people keep them past 3 years old,

Only time will tell how any cars value holds up.

Used vRS have been OK up to now at not being depreciation disasters, they were cheap in the first place,

(keeping for less than a year or 2 will usually always cost you, or trading in)

but the CAVE problems mean that Used ones are certainly less of interest to people,

& as it is in the UK, only 1800 Early Twinchargers sold and another 800 with the revised engine.

• Like 1

If a man buys a car but then only keeps it for 4 days does that make him a good judge of cars?

(Said in jest...sorry I couldn't resist!)

Just my 2p's worth.

Don't get the £165 steering wheel controls, I ordered these thinking I'd get extra buttons but you don't. It's just slightly extra functionality of the existing ones, massive waste of money IMHO.

I'd also got for a pre reg or nearly new, as 1 year old ones are worth about £10k - £10.5k part ex, so it's a lot of depreciation if you don't get a decent discount.

Thanks for the great feed back regarding the vRS.

The reason why I think the vRS most suites my mother is because of the following:-

• It slightly excels the performance of her current car 2.0 Primera which she wanted for motorway driving.
  • Its available with 0% finance.
  • The centre console is low to allow easy access to the passenger seat because the only access when parked in the garage is through the passage door. It is very hard to find a modern car with a low centre console.

From my point of view I think the Fabia is outclassed in terms of safety and equipment that should be available in this class of car but these issues are outweighed by the positives of the car and meet the requirements. I'm trying to choose a car subjectively rather than choosing a car that I would buy but still be happy to use. 

If a man buys a car but then only keeps it for 4 days does that make him a good judge of cars?

(Said in jest...sorry I couldn't resist!)

400 miles.

Should have taken an extended test drive instead. :)

• Like 2

I phoned the dealer and customer care line today to ask the official response regarding ordering a new Fabia from the factory.

The dealer said the vRS is available to order with a 3 month waiting time. The only reduction in model was that the Estate is now not available for factory order. With the new Fabia model available for delivery from January 2015.

The customer care line also said the vRS was available for factory order with a 3 month delivery time as well as all other models in the Fabia range available. They mentioned June as a date for the new Fabia. Seems a bit early to open the order books for a new model without showing it in advance.

So there is some confusion regarding what is available from the Factory but they both said there is no official closing date for accepting orders been given as yet.

It would be a bit better if they just said they have no idea other than what they have heard or read,

No official word on anything yet other than its going to be revealed at a show this Autumn.

http://briskoda.net/forums/topic/312125-fabia-3

Has your Mum had a look at Seat Ibiza's with DSG, 5 door or maybe even a ST.

http://firstforseatcars.com

Good deals can be had.

I hadn't thought about showing her the Ibiza.

I've now had a look at the brochure and the Ibiza 5 door comes with the 1.4 140ps version which offer good performance with a manual transmission.

She hasn't driven an automatic before so she thinks she would prefer a manual.

Thanks George for the suggestion will defiantly look into the Ibiza as well.

• 2 weeks later...

To give you an update my mother went for a test drive today.

She test drove a 1.2 Manual and 1.2 Automatic.

She really liked the Fabia to drive and after some initial scepticism she actually preferred the Automatic.

Now the hard work starts of trying to decide which model to go for.

I have explained the model ranges to her and the 1.4 is the "Sporty" version equivalent to a 2.0 powered car and she was happy with that until she went to the dealership.

After speaking to the salesman she thinks that the 1.4 is now "The Very Fast Car". Even the salesman asked me what car I drove so I told him it was an S3. :p

So she might end up getting 1.2 105 Automatic.

The salesman confirmed that all models are currently available except for the Estate are available to order from the factory.

I will keep you posted how it goes.