Redders octy mk2, air ride, 20's, 2014 trim and more...

_redders_

Is that actually a matt vinyl wrap or plasti-dip you have covered the car in?

I am considering going down the plasti-dip route with my vRS in the next couple of months!

No mate, its vinyl, im a professional vehicle wrapper, and my advice would be to steer well clear of plasti dip. Jon

What issues have you been seeing with Plast Dip? In everything I have read I haven't really seen anything negative about it!

Obviously I am still very open to which route I go down but I imagine a vinyl wrap to your standard would be in the £1k+ area.....

You have to remember that the plastidip is not really made for cars, although its use as such is not all that bad in small quantities, its great on small areas such as badges, mirrors etc, but the idea of spraying a full car makes me cringe, although its supposed to just peel right off, unless the plastidip is applied thick, around 8-10 layers, you won't be able to peel anything off, and you'll be left with overspray mess Inside your door shuts, window lines and anywhere else a spray can get that you can't mask,.

its also not that hard wearing, too much rubbing for instance on a handle or alike and it will peel away, you can't touch it up so it would need doing completely again, same goes for large panels, damage a panel sprayed in plastidip, you can jus repair it, the whole thing has to be redone, now while this isn't a problem, and you would have to do the same with vinyl, colour match is, you don't have te same problem with vinyl colour matching or the problems with removal...

The finish is also very questionable, lumpy, textured, and nothing but matt colours, the glossifier, leaves a lot to be desired too, more like satin... if your spraying with tins, you'll need ALOT, one tin in my experience will do one door, if your planning on ordering in buckets of paint, you'll need to thin the plastidip down in order to be able to spray it smoothly.

videos make out like you don't need to prep the car, mask it up etc, but you do, have a look for plastidip fails where people have sprayed their cars and not masked them up and can't get it off their windows and lights and rubbers etc...

For me, it's vinyl every time, yes if you paid me to wrap your car, an octavia hatch like mine, to the same standard, in the same material, you be looking at £1000 to 1200, bearing in mind you'd need 22 metres of vinyl for your car, at roughly £25 per metre depending on colour, so there's £550 in vinyl, plus prep, strip, wrap and rebuild time, approx 3-4 day turn around, i wouldn't be making much money, but you WOULD have a better job.

Jon

• Like 1

Having attempted my grille surround in Plastidip before eventually succumbing to a professional paint shop I'd have to agree. I'm pretty dire at DIY but fancied my chances with Plastidip. Although the finish was ok, once up close you could see areas of slight bubbling. Couldn't see it lasting against stone chips etc.

I'm running 20" wheels with stretched tyres so its never going to handle like an f1 car, but I can confidently push the car hard in and out of corners with no worrys, the ride is amazing, 36 point dampening, keeps the anti roll bars and the bag provides alot of comfort. If I catch you at a meet, I'll take you out in it. Jon

• Like 1

I'm running 20" wheels with stretched tyres so its never going to handle like an f1 car, but I can confidently push the car hard in and out of corners with no worrys, the ride is amazing, 36 point dampening, keeps the anti roll bars and the bag provides alot of comfort. If I catch you at a meet, I'll take you out in it. Jon

Cheers, I'll keep an eye out for meets then :-)

Looks awesome.

What air kit are you using?

The kit is airlift, running the new performance front struts, with built in camber plates and adjustable bag height and anti roll bar mounts, and double bellow rear bags so they can't rub through, and running the v2 management.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

First i just want to say when static and on Bentley rims, it was the most awsome octavia i have ever seen.

Then i wonder what splitter it is you have in the first pictures ?

This looks fantastic. Great work on the wrap too. Looks brilliant.

Unsure on the red on the wheels. Maybe if the inner spokes were black would work better imo.

Otherwise stunning car :)

• 5 weeks later...

20's oh my!! Sir I dip my head to you!!!

Very nice looking Octavia, I love the seats. Its probably the main reason I like the mk3, I'd love a set for mine!

Everything looks great, but the seats really do it for me! (Is that wrong?)