Wheel questions for the experts please - help required!

Hi folks

I have both a FL Superb 170 Elegance twindoor manual and also a Octavia 3, 150bhp Elegance Manual estate.

I have my eye on replacement wheels for the superb and i'm wondering whether the wheels from the superb will fit the Octavia as the standard 17'' Teron's look a little lost in the arches.

Superb wheels are - 7.5J, 18'', 5 x 112, ET46

Standard Octavia wheels are - 7.0J, 17'', 5 x 112, ET49

How will the extra 1/2'' wheel width and 3mm offset manifest itself on the Octavia using the Superb wheels?  Can anybody help please?

Does anybody have this set up?

Many thanks in advance

Dave

It depends what tyres you have fitted but it should be OK as18" is available on the Octavia and there's even a 19" extreme alloy for the vRS.

You might find this site useful:

http://www.willtheyfit.com/index.php?width=205&aspect=55&diameter=18&wheelwidth=7.5&offset=46&width2=235&aspect2=40&diameter2=17&wheelwidth2=7&offset2=49#content

Edited by Gabbo

Thanks for your help thus far :-)

Please have a look at this -

http://www.willtheyfit.com/index.php?width=225&aspect=45&diameter=17&wheelwidth=7.0&offset=49&width2=225&aspect2=40&diameter2=18&wheelwidth2=7.5&offset2=46#content

3.4mm further in towards the suspension and 9.4mm further out and therfore closer to the arch(liner)?  Do you still think this is ok?

I often have the car heavily laden - will i deffo not get rubbing etc?

And (daft question perhaps) but will i need longer wheel bolts?

Thanks, Dave :-)

Edited by turboman6680

When the car is next heavily laden on the existing wheels, check how much of a gap you have between the outer edge of the wheel and the arch. I doubt you will have much of an issue but I am definitely not an expert.

Thanks for your help thus far :-)

Please have a look at this -

http://www.willtheyfit.com/index.php?width=225&aspect=45&diameter=17&wheelwidth=7.0&offset=49&width2=225&aspect2=40&diameter2=18&wheelwidth2=7.5&offset2=46#content

3.4mm further in towards the suspension and 9.4mm further out and therfore closer to the arch(liner)?  Do you still think this is ok?

I often have the car heavily laden - will i deffo not get rubbing etc?

Thanks, Dave :-)

I was running ET 40 on winter wheels with the same width rim / tyres as standard 18". Even when fully laiden clear of arches - I'm assuming that arches are not wider on VRS over other models.

The bolt spec is the same 5 bolts with 112mm length ( 5x112) so there's no problem there.

As back sheep said, take a look at the car next time its fully loaded but I think 9mm further out & 3mm towards the struts should be fine.

If its closer than you'd like, you can always buy a narrower tyre next time you have to change.

I was running ET 40 on winter wheels with the same width rim / tyres as standard 18". Even when fully laiden clear of arches - I'm assuming that arches are not wider on VRS over other models.

Me too, only mine were 18x8s with 46mm ET.  Bags of clearance even fully laden.

Yup, 112 mm is the Pitch Circle Diameter, not the length of the bolts.

The pitch circle diameter (PCD) is, as you say, the diameter of the imaginary circle which the bolts lie on, not the distance between the bolts.  The PCD is difficult to measure directly if there is an odd number of bolts. 

If my trigonometry is correct, with five bolts the pitch circle diameter will be 1.70 x the distance between the centres of any two adjacent bolts or 1.05 x the distance between the centres of any two more-or-less "opposite" bolts.  (It goes without saying that this be different if the number of bolts is different!)

Obviously it is difficult to measure directly from the centre of a bolt or a hole. 

The most accurate way to (using a vernier caliper if you've got one) is to measure between the near sides of the holes (or bolts) and between the far sides, then add these measurements and divide by two.  Easy!

Edited by Stuarted

Thanks all for your help.

Swapped the Superb 18'' x 7.5J Trinity's over to the Octavia yesterday and very pleased with the result.  No clearance issues it seems certainly at the inside and on the outside, no issues at all on the rears and very unlikely at the front either.  Always amazes me just how much better a car can look with the right wheels.

Still unsure if (to be absolutely bang on) whether there should be longer wheel bolts? 

Problem is (for just now at least) my FL Superb has 17'' Teron's off our 2014 Elegance - looks more than a bit poop!  Still new wheels for the Superb by the end of the week - just to decide which ones!

Edited by turboman6680

Thanks all for your help.

Swapped the Superb 18'' x 7.5J Trinity's over to the Octavia yesterday and very pleased with the result.  No clearance issues it seems certainly at the inside and on the outside, no issues at all on the rears and very unlikely at the front either.  Always amazes me just how much better a car can look with the right wheels.

Still unsure if (to be absolutely bang on) whether there should be longer wheel bolts? 

Problem is (for just now at least) my FL Superb has 17'' Teron's off our 2014 Elegance - looks more than a bit poop!  Still new wheels for the Superb by the end of the week - just to decide which ones!

This thread needs pictures :)

My bad on the info, 112 is indeed PCD...

One way to confirm the bolt length is the same is to take one from the Superb & one from the Octavia & compare.

I'm pretty sure they should be a standard length based on the 5x112 specification of the wheels. (but as my last post confirms, I could be wrong.. :think: )