Skoda Wheels - Warranty Question

Small rust pockets have appeared around the centre boss of all four wheels on my 2013 L&K Superb but advised wheels are not covered as a warranty item.

Any one had the same problem and a similar response?

Who advised you wheels were not a Warranty item?

Dark Chrome Gigaro wheels on Fabia MK2 vRS have been getting replaced for over 3 years now under Warranty.

If it is Faulty Coatings or Poor Manufacturing on the Superb Wheels, it will be a Warranty Item.

Take the Pictures & have the Dealership take Pictures and put the Warranty Claim into Skoda UK.

If the Dealer have some problems doing it,

send your own Pictures to Skoda UK Customer Services.

george

eg

Corrosion, on Alloy wheels, rather common. On Painted & Lacquered ones.

Reaction where the Alloy Wheel seat on a Steel Hub, and no Copper Slip or other barrier used.

Dissimilar materials.

Porous Coatings,  damaged coating sometimes in Manufacture, sometimes user abuse.

I had the same thing and they replaced three of the wheels under warranty. The centre boss edge is not subject to stone chips as I think it is caused by surprise, surprise the centre boss.

Alloys are covered under warranty. Tell your dealer they are not correct.

A lot of dealers try to wiggle out of warranty claims by trying to show that the damage is as a result of kerbing, stone chips or poor tyre fitting.

The alloys fitted to the L&K are called 'Sirius bi-colour' and the silver finish you can see is called 'polished or diamond cut'. This is where the alloy is highly polished to a mirror finish and instead of being painted (offering good protection) it is simply laquered.

This is a huge weakness as water can get under the clear coat and result in the white worm as already mentioned. Very common on the Fabio (Gigaro), Superb (Thermisto) and now the Sirius it seems, and the Octavia Scout (Proteus)...

car_photo_585010_25.jpg

I suspect that when the centre caps have been applied the laquer has been damaged and you are now seeing the effects of water ingress (this was a well documented issue on the Citroen DS3 to the point Citroen modified the centre caps to make it less likely for the dealers to make a mess of the alloys when fitting them during the PDI).

This will only get worse once you have a set of tyres fitted as the laquer is again likely to get damaged around the circumference of the rim, as well as the centre caps having to be removed and refitted!

Even if you are successful with a warranty claim the issue will return, I'm afraid it's a trade-off for polished / diamond cut alloys.

A lot of us with older Skoda's that are now no longer under warranty and have been through the pain have chosen to have the alloys refurbed - but without the polished finish.

Good luck!

Edited by silver1011

• 7 months later...

Alloys are covered under warranty. Tell your dealer they are not correct.

A lot of dealers try to wiggle out of warranty claims by trying to show that the damage is as a result of kerbing, stone chips or poor tyre fitting.

The alloys fitted to the L&K are called 'Sirius bi-colour' and the silver finish you can see is called 'polished or diamond cut'. This is where the alloy is highly polished to a mirror finish and instead of being painted (offering good protection) it is simply laquered.

This is a huge weakness as water can get under the clear coat and result in the white worm as already mentioned. Very common on the Fabio (Gigaro), Superb (Thermisto) and now the Sirius it seems, and the Octavia Scout (Proteus)...

car_photo_585010_25.jpg

I suspect that when the centre caps have been applied the laquer has been damaged and you are now seeing the effects of water ingress (this was a well documented issue on the Citroen DS3 to the point Citroen modified the centre caps to make it less likely for the dealers to make a mess of the alloys when fitting them during the PDI).

This will only get worse once you have a set of tyres fitted as the laquer is again likely to get damaged around the circumference of the rim, as well as the centre caps having to be removed and refitted!

Even if you are successful with a warranty claim the issue will return, I'm afraid it's a trade-off for polished / diamond cut alloys.

A lot of us with older Skoda's that are now no longer under warranty and have been through the pain have chosen to have the alloys refurbed - but without the polished finish.

Good luck!

Just to update, as advised to another dealership, actually closer to me than where I bought the car.

They agreed straightaway that the wheels were worthy of a warranty claim and sorted it out without quibbling

The supplying dealer won't get any of my business in future so they will lose out in the long run

Thanks to all who responded on this

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Skoda are denying that there is a problem with the Proteus wheels on the Scout.  They are corroding after 2 years.  Could anyone who has had problems with these wheels send me some info.

Many thanks 

Frankie Kitt