heat around car

Just possibly this is a silly question, does anyone elses car get bloody hot? when haven driven normally or brisk, when exiting the car i can feel the heat around my ankles just from underneath the car and obviously around the engine bay is scorching...My bonnet was nearly too hot to touch the other day after a 100ish mile drive. everything seems normal, all serviced and everything is topped up

What, in this weather? Yep mine's the same - especially if i've had the aircon going and I am wearing shorts. I also feel a waft of heat around the ankles when I get out.

Also, although my bonnet is black which doesn't help - yes, I could probably fry an egg on my bonnet after driving.

So don't worry. Only worry if your temperature gauge starts climbing well north of about 90 degrees!

The worst (best?!) car I had for this was my Porsche 911. When I got out of that - Jaysus, it was like the heat of hell itself came out from underneath! Also being rear-wheel drive with the engine and exhausts by the rear tyres, I also used to get the delightful smell of red-hot rubber from the rear tyres as well. Ahh, bliss!

haha ok then i wont give it any more thought, mine is black too. my temp gauge hasnt ever moved from the central position which is good, it just still surprises me when my feet hit the floor and that heat gets me! Like its on fire or something

Also, it'll be worse on the RHS with a standard car, because that's where the intercooler is. The intercooler generates enough heat to keep the wheel arch more or less free from snow even at -20C.

most cars have sound deadening material on the underside of the bonnet but these don't (well mine doesn't) so that would make the bonnet heat up a lot more too.

Sound deadening is fitted as standard to diesels, but I don't believe it is fitted to the petrols.