Repaired (and working) fan won't run.

I recently repaired the smaller air con fan on my Octy2 1.6 fsi (2005).

One of the brushes was stuck in its holder and wasn't making contact with the rotor.

I released it and reassembled the fan and I tested it before fitting it to the car and it ran fine

Now it is fitted it to the car it does not run even when the air conditioning is switched on. 

Does this fan run constantly when you switch the air con on or is it triggered by a temperature sender. Are there any specific relays or fuses that would prevent it from running.

I am at a loss because I can't find any info anywhere.

Any help would be gratefully appreciated.

Thanks (in anticipation) and all the best

Tom

Edited by 7omly

Thanks for the reply silver 1011. 

I only have a generic reader but scanned it and it showed the following codes; 18320,17887, 16500, 16475, 07183, 17833, 17935, 17435 and 18068.

all but the last four reset.

I can't seem to find out what all the codes mean but I will keep looking.

Thanks and all the best

Edited by 7omly

More confusion.

Because I thought I might have damaged the fan putting it back on the car I took it off and retested it.

The small one separately will run either way but the large one, that's another matter. When I applied power to the large plug both fans ran......backwards. Reversing the polarity did not make either fan run. Perhaps their is something in the plug circuit from the cars ecu that prohibits reverse polarity?

Also does anyone know what this is (see attached pics) or where it plugs in.

It is attached to the same wiring loom as the fans power supply.

I am assuming it is a temperature sender probe but is it for the dashboard instruments temperature display or for the air conditioning fan.

Any help would be appreciated because I am getting nowhere on my own.

Thanks (in anticipation) and all the best

post-93860-0-29393200-1408103771_thumb.jpg

post-93860-0-76937900-1408103791_thumb.jpg

See below for 18068.

http://wiki.ross-tech.com/wiki/index.php/18068/P1660/005728

Other decodes on the web:

17833 - P1425 - EVAP Purge Valve (N80): Short to Ground

17435- P1027 - Activation Intake Manifold Flap for Air Stream Regulation, Short to Ground

17935 - P1527 - Intake Camshaft Contr. Circuit, Bank 1 (N205), Short to Ground

The common fault in all 4 is a short to ground. One discussion suggested testing every fuse for continuity.

• Like 1

More confusion. 

I have noticed on some threads on other forums that some people have suggested that the 

Fan Control Unit (J0 919 506K) could be the culprit. On a golf it is supposed to be mounted next the battery but         I can't find where it is at on the Octavia. I wish Haynes would bring out a manual for the mk 2 Octavia.

I have never owned a car before where it is so hard to get any technical information on.

The Briskoda forum is a godsend.

All the best.

All the technical information you need is available by logging in to ERWIN. The first link is for ERWIN Skoda and the second gives some information on what is available and the cost of access.

https://erwin.skoda-auto.cz/erwin/showHome.do;jsessionid=61B14BFFEE4B67B983860AEADE99398F

http://www.briskoda.net/forums/topic/271960-vin-decoding-build-list/?p=3215717

Posts #5 and #6 in the thread below have useful information related to the fan control unit.

http://www.briskoda.net/forums/topic/188455-fan-control-unit-faulty/