18's vs 17's

Well, guys, what do your handbooks say? In the back of my Saab owner's manual there is a quite large section dealing with all the various sizes which I can have on the car, including winters. Nowhere does it say anything regarding speedo reading, and I have not checked with any tyre fitment comparision sites. (I may, just for curiosity)

The normal size for my car ia 225/45R17. Alternative size for my model is 235/45R17, both sizes also given for winters. Very handy for me, as due to my lad fitting 18" wheels to his Evo, I have inherited both his summer and winter tyres. Currently on the car are his old Yokohama Advan Neova AD08 235/45R17 and boy do they grip and quieter than I thought they would be. Waiting in the wings for me is his set of winter Vredesteins. These will go on at the beginning of November and come off next April, to keep the snow away in true 'umbrella' principle.

Speedo readings are still fractionally over according to my both my satnav and my iphone on the GPS. Admittedly the fact that both profiles are 45 may well mean I don't have a problem.

But with regard to insurance and vehicle construction & use regs, be a good idea to see what the handbooks say guys 'n' gals. Should I ever rise to the dizzy heights of Superb ownership, I would hope for 17" wheels, both for comfort and to use the tyres....

My 2 pennorth!

Pete

• Like 1

Not really noticed a difference in the ride from 18's to 19's because I've not driven a Superb with higher profile tyres. It's not that bad, I think the Superb has pretty hard shocks as standard.

Recently I've checked with my insurer and they confirmed that I can go from 45/18s to 50/17s or anything else within reason. The only thing they won't cover are the actual wheels!!!

I hate the 18" wheels that were 'standard' on my '61-plate' Superb Estate Elegance although I love everything else about the car.

Now that the tyres are worn I'm looking to change the wheels to 17" (or even 16" if they'll fit over the brakes).

Anyone know of a good source of replacement wheels? (Skoda or after market)

I guess my scratched 18" ones could be refurbished and sold on.

Any advice welcomed.

I have just collected a set of Audi A6 wheels for my car. 17's and fit the Superb perfectly. Fitting new tyres tomorrow and will sell on the L&K wheels. The. Audi wheels prob look even better than the original ones.€200 for the set and all are perfect.
  • Like 1

I have just collected a set of Audi A6 wheels for my car. 17's and fit the Superb perfectly. Fitting new tyres tomorrow and will sell on the L&K wheels. The. Audi wheels prob look even better than the original ones.€200 for the set and all are perfect.

I hope that solves the ride issues for you!  That's a good price, what style of Audi alloys did you go for - five spoke or multi-spoke etc?

I hope that solves the ride issues for you!  That's a good price, what style of Audi alloys did you go for - five spoke or multi-spoke etc?

They're 7 spoke aluminium coloured yokes. Didn't get a chance today. Fitting them tomorrow.

They're 7 spoke aluminium coloured yokes. Didn't get a chance today. Fitting them tomorrow.

Should look good, I've seen a few Skodas with Audi wheels and they don't look out of place.  Keep us posted on the ride quality and handling.

hah - well i was only joking (am on 18" themisto wheels myself, and am happy enough with them) 

that said, i have the rough road package and upgraded to the 18's for no good reason other than I like the look of them :)

t.

Got the wheels/tyres fitted today. Both cars now on 225/45/17's and a dream to drive.

Very happy with the L&K for the first time since we got it.Mrs Odyssey will even drive it now. The Audi wheels look good to boot.

Adverts here I come with 5 L&K wheels and tyres.

Five?? Did you get a spare 18" alloy as well?  Good to hear you're happy at last with the L&K.

No Mrs Odyssey scraped one of the wheels ( her car)so I just bought another one to replace it. The spare is scratched but the new owner can fix it if he wants. Yes I'm happy at last, took a while but the Skoda dealerships in this neck of the woods need to buck up and cop on....

kilkenny, drop me a PM - am looking out for a set of VAG 18;s for winters on another car 

t.

Edited by tmg

A word of warning for those contemplating 18 inch wheels, they are desperately easy to kerb!  I suspect that 17 inch wheels with 45 aspect tyres would be less prone to kerbing and quieter as well. 

Edited by Bule

A word of warning for those contemplating 18 inch wheels, they are desperately easy to kerb!  I suspect that 17 inch wheels with 45 aspect tyres would be less prone to kerbing and quieter as well. 

I have to say I think you're right.  I'd rather take that risk than drive around on licorice allsorts, though.

A word of warning for those contemplating 18 inch wheels, they are desperately easy to kerb! I suspect that 17 inch wheels with 45 aspect tyres would be less prone to kerbing and quieter as well.

Agee with you there for sure. Even taking great care it's difficult to avoid damaging them and they will always be noisier. It's aesthetics versus practicality to an extent. Having said that I still like the look of them but would make me think twice again

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You are definitely right. Don't know ourselves on 17's again,however the difference between 40's and 45's was €35 per tyre.So €140 would buy you another tyre therefore a no brainer especially since we have had a car on 40's for over 5 years.