Update Fabia Monte Carlo tech sat nav.

Hi,

As the title states, really simple job yea? Err no....

So basically my sat nav is somewhat out of date with the car being over a year now and travelling through many a field I thought it might be time to update it.

The system is a Amundsen+ and got the following details from the the local skoda stealer.

Go here download maps for your skoda -

http://www.navigation.com/is-bin/INTERSHOP.enfinity/WFS/Navteq-NavteqEurope-Site/en_GB/-/GBP/View-Promo?&cwt=application/ApplicationFrame_campaign_light&&Page=Skoda-Landing-Page-MIB-Amundsen&&NewDomainName=Navteq-NavteqEurope-Site&

Once downloaded go to here and follow the instructions -

http://new.skoda-auto.com/SiteCollectionDocuments/download/maps-update/en/amundsen.pdf

Ok so following the instructions and putting the SD card in the only slot I have (at the front) I get SD card error? It looks like it's reading it but doesn't work.

I have tried a full sized SD card and also a micro SD card with SD adaptor and both do the same.

I went back to the local stealers and they looked at me blank and said they come back to me - yea right!

I did ask the stealers "does the SD card have to be a certain format" and they looked at me blank....

Anyone here have any experience or can help me?

Thanks

Willo

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

what size SD card?

was it formatted as FAT (the normal as the arrive)

was it a new card or old one previously used? if so how did you format it?

what class card? 4, 6 or 10?

It states "1. You need the SD-CDA card containing the previous map data from your navigation system. The SD card is inserted in SD card slot 2 at the factory." so where is SD Card Slot 2 on the Amundsen navigation system. Mines a Monte Carlo Tech which came with the Amundsen factory fitted, I was not given the SD-CDA card and I don't know where SD Card Slot 2 is.

I want to get mine updated, but I think they have sent you to the area where Octavia Owners obtain their updates which they apparently get for 3-years, there was no mention of 3-years updates when I purchased my Monte Carlo Tech. 

SD card was a 16gb one. It was a used card that I formatted in a fat as that was default value. I literally have followed the guidelines on the link and it makes no sense. It's almost like Prykey says that it is only compliant for the Octavia sat nav? HELP!

SD card was a 16gb one. It was a used card that I formatted in a fat as that was default value. I literally have followed the guidelines on the link and it makes no sense. It's almost like Prykey says that it is only compliant for the Octavia sat nav? HELP!

I don't think you have because you are supposed to use the existing SD-CDA Card that is in SD Card Slot 2 wherever that is!

I think, after a lot of reading, the reference to slot 2 is not relevant to the amunsden+, it is relevant to the yeti.

As I understand it the maps are preloaded onto the internal HD via a special encrypted (for want of a better word) card put into the sd card reader and then written to the HD. If you can get hold of an original card, the SD-CDA one, then you wipe it and install the new DB onto it then load it into the car. Wiping it does not remove the hidden 'security' file that the unit checks to ensure its not a pirate version of the maps.

If this is right then slot 2 is a virtual slot on the tech.

It sounds legit....As far as VAG goes!

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk

Edited by jonro2009

Just to try and get to the bottom of this I sent Skoda UK a message last night and received a call back today.

The advise was as follows: -

Only the MY2014 Octavia's receive free map updates for 3-years, the Fabia Monte Carlo Tech does not benefit from this offer!

The recommended update path is to buy the official upgrade from your dealer and get them to install it, the upgrades are licensed so they cannot buy one and update many, he did say that the update could cost as much as £180.00!!!!! The people that create the updates apparently do so once a year in March so to be sure that you get the latest version don't purchase your updates until April/May.

Now the words of warning do not attempt to buy any updates from any other outlet than your dealer as if you try and load something and it trashes your Infotainment System you've guessed it your warranty will not cover it.

That is what I was advised today by a very nice man called John.

Edited by Prykey

I do note in the second link

Note

Given that the navigation data is stored on the SD card inside the vehicle, the card is exposed to extreme conditions. In order to ensure that the navigation system is working properly, your MIB Amundsen navigation system only accepts SKODA Auto's approved SD cards. In the event of the loss or damage to the SD card, a replacement card is available from your SKODA Auto local service partner.

hmm so it looks like it checks something on the card to make sure it is official card, so most cards wont work

slot two is probably accessible if you slide the unit out, to make it awkward for a owner to update, bit like how fiddly they are making changing bulbs on modern cars