FL VRS DRLs - possible to make them brighter in side light mode?

Hi guys,

Do you know if this setting can be changed? When I put side lights on, the DRLs dim. They look broken though.. Half lit! So I always go to full lights (don't mind as have xenons)

Just, well, would love to have rear lights on with full DRLs as option... Anyone ever worked out if possible?

Cheers

Mike

Hi guys,

Do you know if this setting can be changed? When I put side lights on, the DRLs dim. They look broken though.. Half lit! So I always go to full lights (don't mind as have xenons)

Just, well, would love to have rear lights on with full DRLs as option... Anyone ever worked out if possible?

Cheers

Mike

Unlikely. It is a legal requirement for the LED's to either switch-off, or in the case of the Octy (and many others) for them to dim when in side-light mode. The full-brightness LED's would be too bright for night-time use and would be a menace to other road users.

Hi guys,

Cheers

Mike

I should certainly hope that you do always "go to full lights" (headlights).  Side lights (really parking lights) are far too dim to illuminate the road or make you visible to other road users.  As others have said, DRLs MUST dim to comply with the lighting regs - DRLs are far too bright to be used in the hours of darkness.  Your question makes it sound that you are more interested in using your car's lights as a fashion statement than for practical purposes - surely that can't be true! :notme:

• Like 1

Erm, well I wasnt expecting that kind of response

I only asked as you have one setting before full beam, side light setting, where the DRLs dim... They look broken... Like car battery is low!

So I go straight to full lights... Essentially, I have a pointless setting on my dial!

Guys I'm 40! Hardly a poser, just asking a simple question.

Mike

• Like 1

Mile

I fully understand what youre asking but they would be too bright to be legal if they didn't dim when the headlights are on or even the sidelights/parking light switch

With that respect..They cannot be disabled to stay fully bright

I only asked as you have one setting before full beam, side light setting, where the DRLs dim... They look broken... Like car battery is low!

So I go straight to full lights... Essentially, I have a pointless setting on my dial!

Mike

Well yes - the sidelight setting is a waste of time really. Sidelights are not designed to light up the road in front of you, and they are poor at illuminating you enough to be seen by others.

When you switch to main-beam your DRLs are still switching to a dim setting.

I use the auto-light feature (it's always left on auto) and I think I can safely say that in the 3+ years I've had the car it has never actually auto-switched to sidelights. Either my lights are off, or I'm striahgt into Xenon's and dimmed DRL's.

Mike

It's not a pointless setting - it's for use when parking your car on a poorly lit road at night.  Many, many years ago (I am old enough to remember) these lights were always referred to as parking lights; never side lights.

It'll be in 09 Central Electronics somewhere.

VCDS actually offers more access / adjustability than the dealer software. 

There will be someone on here who can give you step-by-step instruction. If not try a quick post in the dedicated VCDS software thread.

The side light debate continues to rumble on.

Using side lights is perfectly acceptable, it is actually in the highway code that you can drive on a street lit 30mph road in the dark on side lights. Now we are all aware that in this day and age that is no longer appropriate but there are conditions that suit side lights over dipped headlights.

Parking lights, whilst utilising the same bulbs are operated using the indicator stalk, not the headlight switch.

I thought from your post you had figured out how to do it with VCDS, from the posts I have read before the consensus seems to be that it is a dealer only software option that can be enabled.

Edited by radders567

The side light debate continues to rumble on.

Using side lights is perfectly acceptable, it is actually in the highway code that you can drive on a street lit 30mph road in the dark on side lights. Now we are all aware that in this day and age that is no longer appropriate but there are conditions that suit side lights over dipped headlights.

Parking lights, whilst utilising the same bulbs are operated using the indicator stalk, not the headlight switch.

Cannot think of one single situation where I'd take side-lights over main beam.

I cannot either

Scenario: A car on sidelights is in front of a car with headlights on...the car in the front effectively disappears...fact

Do you want to be that car?

Please answer this question..."Why would you use sidelights when you can use headlights?"

I was always brought up that you used you side lights at dusk, or overcast weather... As it got darker you would switch to full lights.

So, overcast or dusk in my vrs... Straight to full lights as dimmed DRLs with back lights on is my only other option which for me don't cut it?

Really can't believe the level of strong opinion on this one...

Headlights on first? I'm not sure what you mean?

I asked a simple question? I will clarify:

1. As default always drive with DRLs on like other vrs owners.

2. When it becomes dark or dusk or overcast I got straight to full lights.

3. So I use lights off setting, or full lights setting on my dial

4. I mearly asked the question if it was possible to brighten the DRLs on the side light setting.

That was it... I'm not driving improper, I don't want to pose, I've been driving 18 years and know when and when not to use lights.

Mike

For heavens sakes? Really?

Sorry mate.. Sure your a decent guy, but this is getting a bit petty.. What order do you so stuff what I said etc...

The question was a clear, simple question, judging by the responses on here I wish I hast asked.

I've said u will carry on as I am, let's leave it like that!!!!

Mike

• Like 1

Dipped headlights in certain situations can be too much, as the light begins to fade but it's not dark. Remember dim-dip, a half way house between side lights and head lights?

Even correctly adjusted headlights can dazzle or distract, this is why driving at night is so more tiring.

I use side lights to be seen when I don't need to illuminate the road to see. When I'm on side lights those around me often have no lights on so I'm at an advantage without distracting others. If other road users have dipped headlights on I do too, quite often I'm the one of the first to switch on dipped headlights.

DRL's will now do away with the use of side lights, which brings us right back to the beginning. Having the rear tail lights operate with DRL's will be beneficial in situations where dipped headlights are not required.

The issue is those that don't use their lights appropriately, DRL's at dusk, headlights during the day, no lights in rain or poor visbility, not realising DRL's aren't dipped headlights, not realising having DRL's on means no rear lights, relying on automatic lights, driving with poorly adjusted headlights, driving when you know you have faulty lights or blown bulbs, not changing from main beam back to dipped headlights before oncoming traffic comes into view, the list is endless. 

• Like 1

Cannot think of one single situation where I'd take side-lights over main beam.

Main beam?

Do you mean dipped headlights?

I can think of lots of situations where side lights would be more appropriate than main or high beam.