Towbar Recommendations for SE Kent

noileum

Would be interested also, my local Skoda dealer did quote me £850 earlier in the summer as car did not have pre-electrics fitted in factory, needless to say did not continue. Wanted the tow-bar primarily for a bike rack, so went a bought one that hangs on the back.

If you fancy a trip up to Horndean I can wholly recommend Phil Taylor Towbars http://www.philtaylortowbars.co.uk/

Just had my second towbar fitted, this time to my Yeti. This time it was a Wesfalia detachable with the full 13 pin electrics including split charging and the cover for the hole where the towbar goes through, including recoding the car, all for less than £600.

Ian

If you fancy a trip up to Horndean I can wholly recommend Phil Taylor Towbars http://www.philtaylortowbars.co.uk/

Just had my second towbar fitted, this time to my Yeti. This time it was a Wesfalia detachable with the full 13 pin electrics including split charging and the cover for the hole where the towbar goes through, including recoding the car, all for less than £600.

Ian

That's a good price. Go for it Noilium!

Fred

This one is a bit nearer to you http://www.tanfieldtowing.co.uk/towbars

I have had a quote for £500 for a single 7 pin electrics recently and although I have not gone ahead as plans have changed, I have had towbars fitted by them 2 or 3 times in the past on various cars and their work is first rate.

Dave

Dave,

If you are thinking of buying a new trailer in the near future then go for the newer 13 pin sockets. They are much more secure and corrosion resistant.

Thanks - we were looking at getting a trailer but have decided against it now, but I take your point on the 13 pin sockets. I was given the option but it was quite a bit more expensive as I was only looking for single electrics

Thanks - we were looking at getting a trailer but have decided against it now, but I take your point on the 13 pin sockets. I was given the option but it was quite a bit more expensive as I was only looking for single electrics

Even with single electrics it's still a good idea to go 13pin for the reasons Graham stated.

Fred

• Like 2

And I'm very surprised the 13 pin kit was that much more expensive than the old 7 pin 12N unit, since the only difference is the cost of the new socket. Methinks your fitter might have misunderstood what you needed.

Also worth noting that all new trailers should now come equipped with 13 pin fittings.

• Like 1

The original quote I got was for 13pin socket and twin electrics. When I told him I only needed single electrics the price dropped by about £100 and you are right, I could have had a 13pin or 7 pin socket. As I was contemplating getting a second hand trailer with 7 pin lead, that was the type he quoted.

Purely academic now as I changed my mind.

When I recently had my tow bar etc fitted the price of the 13 pin kit was about £100 more than the 7 pin - more electronicery?

The kit was fabricated in Telford and it might void any warranty if you substitute a 13 for a 7 as the 7 pin socket is bonded to the loom, (no screwed fittings) - just a thought!!

When I recently had my tow bar etc fitted the price of the 13 pin kit was about £100 more than the 7 pin - more electronicery?

The kit was fabricated in Telford and it might void any warranty if you substitute a 13 for a 7 as the 7 pin socket is bonded to the loom, (no screwed fittings) - just a thought!!

I suspect this is because 13pin is relatively new to UK towbar fitters and moves them out of their comfort zone. What difference does it make what is fitted on the end of the cable providing the fitter conforms to the international 13 pin wiring standard. Because there are more pins they don't all have to be used! The design and construction of 13 pin is so superior to the "old" 7 pin ones that it's a no brainer.

The standard 13 pin connections are published in many places so if the fitter can read a wiring diagram there shouldn't be a problem and certainly no additional charge.

I'm not getting into the "split charging" argument as in 15 years I've never needed the facility. There may be an additional charge for this as it's only UK caravan owners who think they need it so most car manufacturers don't provide it, so the fitter has to provide ONE additional connection..........................?

Rant over, tin hat donned and ducking below the parapet!

Fred

• Like 1

• 4 months later...

Sorry to drag up this old thread, but we had a detachable tow bar fitted at Phil Taylors yesterday and just wanted to add my endorsement. They were great at explaining the options and really nice people to deal with. Fitting was incredibly quick as well - they've done a lot Yetis now and know them inside out.

Oh, and £540 for a Westfalia detachable with bumper panel, and 7 pin electrics (13 pin was £50 more, or the same price, if only the basic lighting / indicators pins were wired up)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sorry to drag up this old thread, but we had a detachable tow bar fitted at Phil Taylors yesterday and just wanted to add my endorsement. They were great at explaining the options and really nice people to deal with. Fitting was incredibly quick as well - they've done a lot Yetis now and know them inside out.

I hope Pam made you a cup of tea while you were waiting! Completely agree, the Yeti was my second tow bar done by them and they have done a good job both times.

Ian

• Like 1