MTEC Headlight bulbs, thoughts on these?

Hello,

Looking to upgrade my OEM headlights and have decided that i'm not going to get an HID kit and will go for a normal bulb instead. Looking for a blue/white light preferably 4500K+ and found these http://www.hids-direct.co.uk/mtec-h7-12v-55w-cosmos-blue-hid-class-car-upgrade-headlight-bulbs/

Any thoughts on them and MTEC in general?

Thanks

m brother bought a set of MTEC cosmos blue bulbs for his old Corsa VXR, they were nothing short of amazing, we used to always say how good they were, so when i bought my first 130i i bought a set for it and they were awful, in fact so bad they lasted a day before i put some nightbreakers in.  We were a little puzzled.  But thwne my brother bought his civic again he tried some cosmos blues and yet again they were ****e.  the only thing we could think of is that the Corsa had projector units and the over two were just reflectors, so we assumed that MTEc's were only good on projector headlights.

However saying that the Fabia headlights are pretty poop, so i would stick to Nightbreakers or you could risk the MTEC's if you have projector headlights.

• Like 1

m brother bought a set of MTEC cosmos blue bulbs for his old Corsa VXR, they were nothing short of amazing, we used to always say how good they were, so when i bought my first 130i i bought a set for it and they were awful, in fact so bad they lasted a day before i put some nightbreakers in.  We were a little puzzled.  But thwne my brother bought his civic again he tried some cosmos blues and yet again they were ****e.  the only thing we could think of is that the Corsa had projector units and the over two were just reflectors, so we assumed that MTEc's were only good on projector headlights.

However saying that the Fabia headlights are pretty poop, so i would stick to Nightbreakers or you could risk the MTEC's if you have projector headlights.

I've got projector headlights and I can't decide what bulbs to get lol... I want something as close to a Xenon look as possible but without the HID kit. What about these ones?

http://www.hids-direct.co.uk/osram-h7-cool-blue-intense-halogen-55w-bulbs-20-light-4200k-twin-pack/

Halford had/have a bogof offer on their 100% xenon bulbs. They say you get 120% more light from em. These are filament bulbs and not hids. 21 quid for my 2 h7 bulbs.

What I wrong with the hids btw?

It just puts me off buying an hid kit because I don't know which ones are good plus I want the cheapest as possible and have no clue about hid kits, make, wattage etc and also clueless on how to fit them..especially the ballast

I've heard a couple of bad things about MTEC bulbs, I myself fitted a full HID Kit from HIDS-Direct and the difference is unbelievable. It depends how much you want to spend really.

If money really is a big thing, then get a set of tested and proven Osram Nightbreakers. You might find that even then the lights are shocking, but what a lot of people have found is that the Fabia headlights are set right to the lower limit accepted by MOT centres - they can be raised just by turning the screw on the top of each unit.

If, like me, you don't mind spending a little extra if it'll do a more amazing job, then go for one of these kits. There was a thread quite a few months ago where a load of us bought and installed these at the same time, I posted a lot of photos explaining what I did etc so i'll get you the link and if you choose this route, just follow that thread and you'll be well on your way.

Honestly the HID Kit I would go for every time. With the nights drawing in I keep giggling to myself when I switch them on and also switch to high beam at just how good they are. Match them with a couple of LED sidelights and it transforms the look of the car!

I've heard a couple of bad things about MTEC bulbs, I myself fitted a full HID Kit from HIDS-Direct and the difference is unbelievable. It depends how much you want to spend really.

If money really is a big thing, then get a set of tested and proven Osram Nightbreakers. You might find that even then the lights are shocking, but what a lot of people have found is that the Fabia headlights are set right to the lower limit accepted by MOT centres - they can be raised just by turning the screw on the top of each unit.

If, like me, you don't mind spending a little extra if it'll do a more amazing job, then go for one of these kits. There was a thread quite a few months ago where a load of us bought and installed these at the same time, I posted a lot of photos explaining what I did etc so i'll get you the link and if you choose this route, just follow that thread and you'll be well on your way.

Honestly the HID Kit I would go for every time. With the nights drawing in I keep giggling to myself when I switch them on and also switch to high beam at just how good they are. Match them with a couple of LED sidelights and it transforms the look of the car!

Haha you are tempting me! I will look at some cheaper kits now and probably wait until payday :D . What do you think of these: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/SUNWOIF-55W-HID-Xenon-Conversion-KIT-H1-H3-H7-H8-H9-H11-H4-3-4300K-6000K-8000K-/281413571138?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&var=&hash=item41858e5242

and

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Upgraded-Slim-Ballast-Car-Xenon-HID-Conversion-Kit-H7-8000K-Blue-6000k-White-/281395664815?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&var=&hash=item41847d17af

and

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/XENON-HID-CONVERSION-AC-35W-SLIM-BALLAST-KIT-H1-H3-H7-H9-H11-HB3-9005-HB4-9006-/330789047472?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item4d04904cb0

and last one:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/CANBUS-XENON-HID-CONVERSION-KIT-ICE-WHITE-ERROR-FREE-H7-6000K-STANDARD-/110919715258?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item19d35489ba

there is also one exactly the same as the last one but it's £28.99 but doesn't say canbus error free?

Option one doesn't have any info on whether it's for CANBUS systems.

Option two states that it isn't for CANBUS.

Option 3 is definitely not suitable for CANBUS but links to this which would be suitable however is hella expensive.

The latter looks ok - in fact the box looks a lot like mine did!

http://www.briskoda.net/forums/topic/313270-hid-h7-kits-for-fabia-with-projector-headlights/?p=3751546 That's the thread I was talking about - I've linked to my post where you can see the differences.

pointing out whats wrong with HID kits is obvious,

They are illegal in UK, without auto levelling, xenon ready headlight fittings and lens, and headlight washers.

it was only a matter of time......

Now we wait for the MOT debate.

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk

• Like 3

pointing out whats wrong with HID kits is obvious,

They are illegal in UK, without auto levelling, xenon ready headlight fittings and lens, and headlight washers.

I's an MOT failure to have these systems fail IF they are fitted. Otherwise, as long as bulbs and kits are 'E' marked, you're good to go.

No arguing needs to be done - those are VOSA's words.

• Like 2