At 107,000 miles, my Superb has just blotted its copybook

On Wednesday, I was driving locally, when all of a sudden, a buzzer sounded and a red coolant alert appeared on the dashboard. Fortunately, I was only 4 miles away from my usual Skoda garage, Startin of Powick, near Worcester. When I arrived, I looked at the coolant reservoir and found it to be empty.

The service staff, especially Stephen, couldn't have been more helpful and, within 15 minutes I was on my way in a new Roomster Scout courtesy car. I received a call later the same afternoon advising my car was ready for collection.

On arrival, I was informed that the water pump had packed up; not what you'd expect of a 35 month old car. This necessitated a new water pump, timing belt, tensioner and coolant, to the grand tune of £611. At least it was the leasing company picking up the bill. It was also fortunate that the garage had a water pump in stock.

I count myself lucky that I was able to get to my usual garage, rather than being stranded with an overheated engine miles away from home. I cannot commend Startin highly enough- they dealt with my unscheduled visit very efficiently, as if this kind of occurence happens every day. I've used this same garage for the last nine years and have always found their service staff to be friendly, courteous and knowledgeable.

http://www.briskoda.net/forums/topic/65252-startin-skoda-powick/

nice to see someones taken the time to praise a dealer when they've done a good job-might be worth adding a reply to their dealership thread above?

Good suggestion. I've copied my post to Startin Skoda's Briskoda page.

• Like 1

Unfortunately things do wear out and go wrong, but the way your dealer dealt with the problem sounds fantastic. Glad you got it sorted so quickly, and for praising your dealer. I think more people should post when they've had great service, unfortunately we usually hear of the people that feel they haven't got the service they hoped for. 

I also have a 2013 FL Superb Greenline Estate, and so far so good.

A similar story was posted recently, Skoda will cover the failed part (the waterpump) but not the timing belt kit (that needs removing to access the waterpump - it is not recommended to refit a removed timing belt).

I think the warranty is up to 60,000miles.....this car has covered 107,000miles.

A similar story was posted recently, Skoda will cover the failed part (the waterpump) but not the timing belt kit (that needs removing to access the waterpump - it is not recommended to refit a removed timing belt).

I would hope that at least the water pump is covered under warranty.... after all it is their recommendation that it is changed at 140k/5 years :sweat: ... if the timing belt had failed, it is their recommendation when it is changed.... i doubt that i will leave mine that long.... 70k will be just fine thanks.... dont fancy snapping a belt!

You'd hope Skoda would cover it but they are well within their rights to say no.

As correctly pointed out the official Skoda UK warranty is a two year unlimited mileage manufacturers warranty topped up to three years by the UK Skoda dealer network, but with a 60,000 mile cap in this last year.

So at 35 months old the Superb is in warranty, but at 107,000 miles it is well outside the 60K year 3 cap.

The waterpump is not a service requirement and is not recommended for change in the service regime, however as we all know it is a weak point (or at least it used to be when they had poor quality plastic impellors) so it is generally advisable to have it replaced when the car is in for a timing belt.

The other obvious reason for this is to change the waterpump you have to remove the timing belt, so if you are doing one then you may as well do the other at the same time.

I bought a 2012 superb estate 1.6 Greenline in July 1 owner and full service history but with 108,000 miles on the clock.At the time quite a few come on the market with mileages from 80,000 to 130,000.I eventually settled on my car due to the overall condition of the car and the fact that the clutch and dual mass flywheel and discs and pads all round had been replaced at just under 100,000 miles. After checking the service book I found a warranty letter which mentioned warranty work on the waterpump at 90,000 and after ringing Skoda up they confirmed the waterpump had failed and had contaminated the cambelt so it also had a new cambelt kit along with the waterpump replaced due to the car just being under 2 years old at the time. At least I won't have to have the belt replaced in the next 5 years. A bit worrying though when something like the waterpump fails at 90000 miles .

A new clutch and DMF at 100K is good going too, might suggest the previous owners driving style was not as mechanically sympathetic as it could have been.

At least you have the piece of mind that it is now as new.