Lightsetup Highbeam + foglights

Webbax

Hi,

I got a Superb model year 2013 that i would like to have a change, but im unsure if its possible.

When im driving and its dark, i often want to use my foglights, since its "widen" my lightspectra, but its a nightmare to turn on and off the foglights when i get a car around me.

So therefor, i would like to have the normal lights when im driving inside towns, and so on, but when im using my highbeam, i would like to turn the foglights on automatically.

Is there any settings in VCDS for this, or am i screwed?

Hope you all get what i mean.

Regards,

Peter

Hi,

I got a Superb model year 2013 that i would like to have a change, but im unsure if its possible.

When im driving and its dark, i often want to use my foglights, since its "widen" my lightspectra, but its a nightmare to turn on and off the foglights when i get a car around me.

So therefor, i would like to have the normal lights when im driving inside towns, and so on, but when im using my highbeam, i would like to turn the foglights on automatically.

Is there any settings in VCDS for this, or am i screwed?

Hope you all get what i mean.

Regards,

Peter

You are obviously being considerate enough not to have them on when other cars are around but what is the legal situation in Sweden with regards to foglights?  In a lot of countries it is illegal to drive with your foglights on when they are not actually required i.e. when is it very foggy.

I thought that fog lights (in UK and perhaps Europe) turn off automatically when you go to high beam as a legal requirement.

Edited by Danny 57

I can't recall seeing such an option on any Skoda with VCDS. So I doubt you could do it.

Given the purpose of fog lights I would say they don't help on unlit roads as a lot of the light is reflected off the road immediately in front of you and it can actually decrease how far ahead you can see.

I think a better option would be some additional driving lights, but getting some that looked OK may be hard, unless your not bothered about the aesthetics.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

The other problem with having fogs on with high beams is that fogs cast their illumination directly in front of the car, this causes your pupils to contract and the high beams then seem less effective.

I agree though that the extra extreme-side illumination would be handy.  I seem to recall that previous central electronics modules had an option "fogs with high beams" but it seems to be missing in the later editions.

Hi,

I've read everyones posts and heres the both law and my purpose.

The Swedish law says i can have whatever lightsetup i want, asfar as i dont disturb other drivers in the traffic, so having foglights and high beam is not any issue in the law.

My purpose, is to widen the lightspectra, so i get a couple of meters wider light, so i can see down into the trench besides the road, since im living about 30km from nearest city.

[...]  I seem to recall that previous central electronics modules had an option "fogs with high beams" but it seems to be missing in the later editions.

I have seen that too, thats why i think it would be left in VCDS but not in MCDU..

/Peter

I too wish this was an option. If the front fogs only come on with main/high beam then there is no issue with dazzling other road users.

A lot of my driving is spent on rural roads so I can drive for lengthy periods on main beam. There are lots of fury creatures that like to jump out in front of my car so any extra light, especially shining into the verge would be helpful.

Hi,

I've read everyones posts and heres the both law and my purpose.

The Swedish law says i can have whatever lightsetup i want, asfar as i dont disturb other drivers in the traffic, so having foglights and high beam is not any issue in the law.

My purpose, is to widen the lightspectra, so i get a couple of meters wider light, so i can see down into the trench besides the road, since im living about 30km from nearest city.

I have seen that too, thats why i think it would be left in VCDS but not in MCDU..

/Peter

Hej Peter!

This sounds like an interesting possibility if available! I will look around for any VCDS option as soon as I can get hold of a Ross Tech cable again ... Never thought of it but now when it's being mentioned it sounds better and better, I am also living on the countryside outside Malmö ...

Have a nice day!

Edited by AndersNordh

A bit off topic perhaps - but still on the subject of improving the high beam.

I converted the "extra" high beam H3 halogen bulbs to 35W xenon on my old Superb - the light on high beam was really good with 4 x 35W Xenon.

I haven't modified my new Superb yet, but as it's getting darker, I'm missing the extra light. Might go for 55W xenons to replace the H7 halogen bulbs. 

I live far from Malmö - in the countryside outside Eskilstuna.

Edited by Joakim

• 3 weeks later...

A bit off topic perhaps - but still on the subject of improving the high beam.

I converted the "extra" high beam H3 halogen bulbs to 35W xenon on my old Superb - the light on high beam was really good with 4 x 35W Xenon.

I haven't modified my new Superb yet, but as it's getting darker, I'm missing the extra light. Might go for 55W xenons to replace the H7 halogen bulbs. 

I live far from Malmö - in the countryside outside Eskilstuna.

Joakim, as i can remember, the lights on a superb is already in a good condition and shouldnt be changed to any other lightbulbs, is your car a greenline or exclusive?

/Peter

• 2 weeks later...

My Superb is an Exclusive with bi-xenon and AFS, and yes, the high beam is quite good but with Xenons replacing the halogen bulbs...Wow! :clap:

Just out of curiosity; why shouldn't it be changed?

/Joakim