Air con compressor issues?

Took my 2.0 CR TDi vRS to the dealer recently just to have the differential pressure sensor changed (cost £170), and was given a bit of a shock by the service manager

He gave one the traffic light sheets showing all greens save for one red, saying it requires an air con compressor at a princely cost of £1141.70 inc VAT

I queried why this check had even been done when I only took it in for the sensor swap, and was told that dealers had been asked by Skoda UK to look at the bolt holding the compressor in place as one had apparently given way, causing massive damage to the engine

As can be seen, on my form it says 'centre bolt loose'

I was initially given the impression that, with it being flagged red, it was an urgent issue. When I delved a bit deeper he said that there were 'a couple of threads' showing on the bolt, so it has been tightened, and they will monitor it

I asked if it is not the bolt which needs changing, to be told that the compressor is threaded and also needs changing, hence the massive cost

Anyone else been presented with this yet?

post-37884-14140483885367_thumb.jpg

I had a new compressor fitted by a main dealer for £400 including parts and labour. They originally wanted £600+ but I refused.

That price you have been charged seems hugely over the top no matter how you look at it. A second opinion would be a better choice at this stage.

The centre bolt in the centre of the compressor pulley is a fail safe device , if the compressor seizes up then the pulley does not break off and destroys the drive belt etc. and you are still able to drive on with it.  The only symptom is no AC

The compressor is held onto the engine block with 4 bolts,  so I wonder what they mean ?  

Take it elsewhere for a second opinion.

• Like 1

If the thread did give way you may be able to get it heli coiled which would cost a lot less than a new compressor

It does seem a ridiculous cost for the sake of a bolt.......I think the service manager acknowledged my shock from a few choice responses