Can someone ID this tow-bar ball for me? Need a replacement

alex_leigh67

15437353960_0bc9400aaa_c.jpgCusto

med Yeti Tow Ball by Alex Leigh, on Flickr

It's bent upwards. Not surprising since a combination of parking on a slope and forgetting to fully engage the handbrake had the consequence of me returning to a vehicle some 30 feet from where I'd left it nestling against the wall of the car park! And yes when it goes for a service, I'll get skoda to have a poke about to make sure I haven't bent the subframe! Don't think it hit that hard as it was only a couple of inches away from the wall when I found it in terms of rebound ;)

Anyway this was skoda fitted but they outsourced it. I'ms sure they can get me the park and I'm equally sure it'll be expensive. So I'd rather show around. No marks on the casting t help me, so any ideas? Don't think it's a witter having check their website...

There seems to be a few sellers with essentially the same or slightly tweaked design. I'll give the garage a call Monday and see if they can point me in the right direction. And ask them for a quite as the car is due a service. I have a feeling their quote might be a bit lively tho!

Either a Witter or a Thule. Certainly not the approved Westphalia.

You need to find out who fitted it and get confirmation from them.

And TBH, if you've managed to bend the hook I suspect there may well be damage elsewhere. Just think about the loads the hook is designed to take.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks all. Sorry been busy working. It's definitely a Westfalia. I checked with the dealer and we found a part number that matched. Pretty much as Helg says above. Can't actually just buy the towbar, they wanted £250 for the whole kit, so now looking for an alternative.

In terms of damage, well it's been up on the ramps in the local garage and been prodded about and it all looks straight. No creases in the boot floor pan or anything. It's been serviced by Skoda on Friday and I've asked them to have a look as well.

Skoda did help out in saying it was £250 for a new one! I found one on the web through PF jones at a very competitive price. Should be here next week. Less than half the price of RRP and apparently the same unit. We'll see when it turns up. Anyway my Yeti is getting traded soon for a new one, dealer had a good look at ti and happy to PX it for top money so looks like I dodged a bullet. Thanks for all your help.

• 2 weeks later...

I just got a complete towbar with a ball very similar if not identical to yours from DGH system. It was cheap, well made and ideal for a truck, but it was for a Kia Rio, its too heavy. It was made in Poland , sent to Germany , then here (UK), it took over a week. You could find their address on ebay if your interested.