My best MPG yet Yeti 140 TDI

fugly

First the specs

Yeti 140 bhp TDI    3 years old    37,000 miles    last service May 2014

Route   Rugeley Staffordshire to Cefn Coch Powys and return total distance 158 miles.

I own a caravan near a village up in the mountains of mid-Wales and needed to do a couple of repairs today which gave me the opportunity to a proper MPG test. Yeti was up to temperature when I cleared the MFD and left Rugeley for Wales. I pulled every trick in the book to get the best MPG keeping the speed down to between 50 and 60 on A roads and 65 on the M54.I eased off and coasted to islands and over the brough of hills and took in a couple of air tows off the odd juggernaut.I don't normally drive like this, lets just say that my Yeti has been properly loosened. Its always possible to cheat if you know a route mainly downhill for a number of miles which is why this was done over the same route each way.

Rugeley to Cefn Coch      64.0 mpg

Cefn Coch to Rugeley      63.4 mpg

Ive done 3 brim tests in the past which show my MFD is out by 4 mpg or 7%

• 3 weeks later...

Well I am very dissapointed with my MPG.

I hope it gets better.

When we first bought it with delivery miles on the clock, I brimmed it to the first click of the pump, then today I brimmed it again.

The car has done 333 miles to 37.37 litres, so that works out to just over 40 mpg, in a 1.6 hdi greenline.

The first 200 miles were motorway, never exceeding 65 mph, and similarly another 100 miles motorway, again, limiting it to 65 mph.

the remainder around town, no queuing.

I drive as if I have a raw egg between my foot and the throttle, I am so gentle, and we are of course running in and I am keeping the revs less than 2/3.

However, the in car mpg indicator shows an incredible 55 mpg....

So what is going wrong..?

I imagine the engine will still be pretty tight at that mileage, it should improve over time!

I really hope so, we have a 200 mile motorway trip tomorrow, then the big one.. 400 miles each way to Scotland and back, but we'll be stopping off half way overnight, to enjoy the area, as well as the drive.

I will brim it again, and report back.

Thanks for the reply.