Help: one thing after another...

Hi all,

First it was the leaky door seals, then the aircon, then the radio.  Next it was (and still is the cd changer), then the continuous blown headlamp bulbs.  We also have the misty glass all over.  Oh yeah, lest not forget the steering wildly veering off to the nearest ditch and the blown front left speaker (and crappy rears)!

A few weeks ago I noted a slight air leak, I think around the IC connection, so decided to use the van in earnest. Now today, while taking it to the lock up to check it out, this:

Distinct loss of power, erratic but poor (well next to no acceleration), that brief whistle sound you get on start up. almost like the classic 'limp home mode'. So turned around, made it back home and stuck her on the drive - the vrs, not the wife - although it did cross my mind...

Anyhoo,  just wondering if anyone else has experienced this.  Whether it's terminal?  Early turbo failure?  I've drastically cut down it's use of the last few months and wondered whether there's condensation in the fuel?

Any pointers?

Many thanks in advance and sorry again for my usual 'essay' of a question ;-)

Robstaaaar

Sounds like the common Boost hose issue, Generally the bottom inter-cooler hose. If its popping off could cause car to go into limp mode. Iv had same problem with top boost hose from EGR. if you have a lil search on here there plenty of info on it to help you find out if its that. I had to take my o/s wheel off and arch liner to get in and have a look at the hose.

Hope this helps 

Leezo G

Leezo G,

Much appreciated. Guess i'll just have to bite the bullet and get all down n dirty with the furb over the weekend lol

Robstaaaar

The random, veering of the car is most likely down to really diteriorated console bushes. They're cheap and easy to change and will make a huge difference.

The front speakers are easy to change. Buy on Ebay Golf MK 4 speaker adapters that come with the cable adaptation.

About £9.99 I think

A fairly good set of speakers in halfords about £20 - £50

Drill out the rivets holding the standard speaker in place, screw on the adapter and then screw on the new speaker. It's a half an hour job. 1 hour MAX

:)

Many thanks all.  

After a day where i had to get the train (most of north london and the M25 in meltdown for the majority of the day) I can confirm i'd rather eat my own head than commute by train.

Roll on the furby repairs...

Rob

• Like 1

UPDATE:

Started the investigation earlier today.  Stripped the arch liners and undertray.  Tell-tale 'spray' of oil emitting under pressure around the intercooler bottom end;  traced the route of the hose and bingo!  Found the muthaf****** culprit (I hope): hose bend/joint directly behind the os headlight has popped out.

At this point, it's getting too dark to start fannying about taking off the bumper to get the headlight out to clean up all the grease and reconnect the hose.  That's for saturady morning.

Can anyone advise the best method of re-securing?  Using the existing clip, jubilee clips or anything else recommended?  I have a series pics of the disaster area if anyone interested.

Thanks,

Rob

Ok, so I'm kinda sorting the air leak issue in between work, wind, rain, dark evenings, icy weekends (you get the drift...).  I've located the dislodged hose.  Taken off the bumper and the headlamp to get to it.  I've now discovered it probably worked itself loose due to a cracked (plastic?) end capping/connection on the OEM intercooler   It's where the metal circlip sits to hold the pipe in place.

I have jubilee clips to re-secure, but somehow I don't think it'll be adequate and can see myself at the side of the road in the dark with the bleedin' thing popped out again, so am I looking at a new intercooler?  Opportune time to go FMIC?

Any info/comments from you peeps, will be gladly appreciated.

Rob

ps, I noted traces of oil in the hose above the intercooler (flowing to the mix chamber)  Is this a cause for worry?

• 2 weeks later...

Happy new year one and all!

I have now successfully repaired the leaking boost hoses.  However on testing, I subsequently noticed lots of coolant leaking from above the under-tray.  I suspect perished coolant hoses or maybe a damaged radiator.  Anyone able to point me in the right direction?

ps.  As per my subject matter, I've recently felt i'm always 'on the take' - for advice lol!  I do appreciate this forum and am very grateful for all the help/advice offered.  Please do let me know how I can contribute.

Rob

Please do let me know how I can contribute.

Rob

You could become a Freedom member. Helps out the forum, which in turn helps out everyone else including yourself.

Plus you get a free brisky sticker :)