Help needed! Turbo death.

MTDuddy91

So my car just completely cut out on friday night, complete loss of power but no noises. Wasn't hammering the poor thing or going fast, around 45 i think. But any way, got it taken to the garage and was told the turbo had gone. I asked how so, they told me the impeller had complete torn it self apart and I am left with not much impeller just lots of bits of metal.  Ive been told by the garage, and by many people, I should replace the intercooler to get rid of the risk of fragments being brought back into the new turbo and destroying that one. And I was considering upgrading the turbo while I need to replace it, either with a PD130 hybrid or a Garret PD150. Im not looking to go mad with power, I would like to eventually get the car up to around 200, but no higher really. I have some money saved to buy a new exhaust, but it looks like im gonna have to use that on a turbo and intercooler.

My questions are:

Which Turbo should I go for?

Should I get a FMIC or just get a SMIC?

If so what one do you recommend? I hear alot about either SS or forge.

Any help or opinions would be greatly appreciated! Any questions just ask, as i may have left out some key information but I was in a rush :notme:

Turbo dynamics are good but expensive, everyone seems to like the xman turbos on here which cant really be beaten on price for the spec.

As for intercoolers if you want to save money the side mount is capable of handling upto 200hp, and in my opinion the garage was fibbing a bit, unless the fragments have actually damaged the intercooler theres nothing a good clean cant get rid of.

However the 90 degree bend coming out of your turbo will more than likely need changing.

If you want to go front mount i believe the seat sport is a straight forward fit, and if you look at ebay theres usually a couple as i saw one the other week for £100.

• Like 1

The PD150 and a good remap will give you what you want, you can do the intercooler later as long as yours isn't damaged, don't worry about the exhaust system, it makes no difference other than noise.

Whatever you do, DO NOT be tempted to fit an aftermarket air filter, stick with standard.

Contact Faboka on here about your remap, he's the best for both quality and value, a bad remap will lunch your clutch, don't risk it.

• Like 1

My turbo went a few weeks ago. I just used a pressure washer on my boost pipes and intercooler to clean them out. Darkside also said to do that too.

I just have to get rid of an engine management light then I'll be looking for a remap.

Cheers for all the responses! Yeh I went back and asked another lad, he said we could just wash it out and it should be ok but there's no guarantee it will remove everything. Still unsure whether to just get a FMIC while its all out any way  :D.