little info please?

Alright guys , I've been browsing about for a change of car , I'm pretty new to driving (7months) I've currently got a fiesta haha but the car is too small for me

the novelty wore off

but seen a few fabia vrs about and I like the look of them and I know the pd engines are long lasting?

so really just wondering what's the good points and bad about these cars? also an insight to the mpg as I'll be travelling 30 miles to work 6 days a week

yeah so any information would be greatly appreciated

thanks

rowey

Good points:

Cheap to buy.

Lots of low down torque make it feel faster than it is.

Bolt on modifications are cheap and plentiful.

Unfortunately because of the above they are also fast becoming a chavvy favourite car.

It is a good engine as long as it is serviced every ~10k miles, and most importantly - the correct oil is used, the PD engines common rail generate huge amounts of pressure, because of this they are quite fussy when it comes to the oil. But it is not a problem, as long as you use the right stuff!

As Softscoop states above: the vRS is cheap to pick up, however due to modifications being cheap, easily done and plentiful, there are a lot of examples out there that shouldn't be touched with a barge pole.

Don't worry too much about mileage, as long as the service history is complete and reliable. In an ideal world you'd be able to pick one up that has been used mainly on motorways as that's what a good Diesel engine is best at.

Approximate Mpg on a 30mile run, driven sensibly and assuming it is mainly 'flowing' rather than stop start driving, I would be expecting 45mpg or so. I find my car performs best in terms of economy on a long hour+ motorway run, sat at 67ish in 6th gear with the cruise control on :thumbup:

Bad point : light grey seats are susceptible to looking dirty/shabby. Rear door seals are notorious for leaking (not a major worry, an easy fix). Boost leaks seem to be a fairly common fault, again, not a major worry, another easy fix.

Apart from that it is a cracking little car. Or so I've found so far!

My only concern for you is: With only 7 months driving, I'd assume you haven't got any no claims bonus yet? One thing that could hinder you is insuring a vRS (LV, amongst others, would not insure me until I am 23).

Have a good read through the Skoda Fabia 1 pages, you will find endless information on every aspect, good and bad of the car.

JRJG

It's still small, which was one of the biggest reasons I got rid of mine.

Same here. But for a supermini, it's still pretty roomy. :)

Edited by softscoop

Just to correct you Jrjg, PD engines don't have a common high pressure fuel rail.The high pressure is generated in the injector.

The special oil is to protect the camshaft.

I stand corrected :)

JRJG

If you do consider buying a Fabia VRS without/ very little service history, be prepared to have/ do a major service to cover most service history points.

Besides renewing the 4 filters, engine oil change, check all fluid levels gearbox,steering, (& brake fluid change +  every two years) , lubricate hinges locks etc.

Renew camshaft belt, water-pump & alternator belt.

Check discs and pads for wear, both are DIY with the rear pads requiring a rewind tool for brake piston (cheap on E-Bay) 

A general list, can do as and when finances come on stream, keep a note of mileages when changed/ fitted.

As said (above member) rear door cards prone to allow water-in onto footwell, easy fix DIY, ensure correct specific engine oil,fully synthetic (VW505.01spec.)

Good luck, again as said (above member), check your insurance company for a quotation..

Renew camshaft belt, water-pump & alternator belt.

+1 try and find one that has had the cambelt and waterpump changed recently as it is the most expensive maintenance.

JRJG

cheers lads! noticed a few have asked about the insurance side of things I've been getting quotes for 2.4k , which my fiesta to insure was 2.1k and that's a 1.4 zetec.. so a few quid a month extra plus the 80 they want for a change over.

I know the fabia isn't a massive car but I'm sure it's still bigger than my fiesta plus the bigger engine would suit me nicely,

by the looks of it ill most likely be searching for one towards the end of may so ill keep an eye out and see if there's any little gems about!

thanks again!

rowey

TBH- on the face of it, both Fiesta and Furby seem of similar size, but we used to have Fiesta vans at work at one time, and my daughter had several Fiestas ,but I've always found Furby a lot roomier on the inside , and a lot more comfortable on longer trips. And that's on petrol zetec /1.9TDCI versus my 1.4TDI.