Annoying intermittent starting problem ..

Got this annoying starting problem over the last month or so.

Engine whether hot/cold will spin over, (bags of power) every now and then, simply refuses to start.

Keeping the engine turning over/cranking will not help, as it refuses to start-up.

Switch off/on again is the my only option/ solution that works, to get started, if you can say that.

Can only guess it's a wiring fault..

Open to idea's before I take it to garage, but problem there is, the fault is intermittent ????

Camshaft or crankshaft position sensor?  We had a similar problem on our old Merc.  Sometimes it would refuse to start and after checking everything from injectors, cylinder compression etc, it transpired to be a faulty camshaft position sensor.

Sounds more like immobiliser to me.

If it was a sensor, I can't see why turning the engine off and on again would make any difference to curing the fault.

Crankshaft sensors tend to be faulty under temperatures also.

Sounds more like immobiliser to me.

If it was a sensor, I can't see why turning the engine off and on again would make any difference to curing the fault.

Crankshaft sensors tend to be faulty under temperatures also.

That's true. When our problem engine was part warm, if turned off then an attempt to start it again happened, it refused to start until it had cooled off.  When fully up to temperature, it started every time.  It was more intermittent from cold.  Could well be an immobiliser issue. 

Edited by SEVrs

Thanks to all for your input, fellow members.

I haven't got a scanner, to scan ECU, but would you think a scanner would pick-up this annoying intermittent fault?

Any pictures where to find the two sensors mentioned..Camshaft and Crankshaft position sensor.

Battery is 10 years old, but spins engine over really fast for a long time (if required) without slowing down at all..