Veg oil in my 2001 TDi 90bhp Octavia-my Experiences so far..

4TH Tank in on this today-

Had to bash 5l of veg and 6l of derv in until I could get to the veg supply.

786.7 miles covered and 56L of fuel used (50L wvo, 6L derv)

cannae complain at 63.86mpg!

Koxlmxxx.jpg

I did post a while back my old L&K I had running on WVO with .216 injectors and a blacksmoke remap... 99.9MPG! Sweet! But that was me driving trying to get the baby to sleep.

I did post a while back my old L&K I had running on WVO with .216 injectors and a blacksmoke remap... 99.9MPG! Sweet! But that was me driving trying to get the baby to sleep.

yup, have seen a displayed 90mpg (genuine 82 mpg or so)for 17 miles a couple of times- but that was proper effort!

have altered the map to a more economy bias but then had commute from hell in this morning!

what miles do you get out of yours.. mines to £20 of LPG at 43.7 a litre makes 235 miles... whats yours like?

probably better to PM me as i dont think we would be quite welcome to hijack the derv page.. :giggle:

I get 27.4 to the gallon, link to fuelly - http://www.fuelly.com/car/skoda/octavia/2005/russellwheeler/189874

10.5ppm all time includes all towing, and when LPG hit 75p per litre.

LPG is 20% less calorific than petrol so would be 32.88 mpg if running on petrol.

e5gQU7Ih.jpg

Damn you, I got my best mpg for commute to work the other day, now it looks crap and I really really had to work for it :( my trip 2 average MPG comes up almost bang on what I get real world mpg brim to brim at 66.9mpg on computer and 66.3mpg real world over last 3 tanks.  

20150830_044924.jpg

The following days commute (car being heavier with fuel)

20150901_045303.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

As part of the general going over I did the usual fluid level checks.

Coolant/brake fluid all spot on, jowever the Oil level was ABOVE maximum..

This is a sign that the WVO is getting past the piston rings- and collecting in the sump.

The car is still running well, no obvious running issues and no MPG drop

Obviously this is not ideal! I took the most sensible path possible, based on the fact that it is a supercheap beater -

I dropped some oil out the sump and topped it up to max with fresh oil.

Zwr52lB6.jpg

Over the last 4000miles it appeared to be approx 500ml- will keep an eye on it.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Also got the sock filters for the WVO set up, 10micron on the Right, 5 Micron on the left

FQub0wuK.jpg

The bottle on the right contains the oil as bought, the bottle on the left is after the 10 micron filter- good improvement:)

aJG17ZyK.jpg

I filter down to 1 micron.  on the basis that a diesel filter is 5 microns (so i was told).

I filter down to 1 micron. on the basis that a diesel filter is 5 microns (so i was told).

I honestly dont know what the filter is on the car.

I've only run it on 10micron stuff since I got it- still on the same fuel filter as it had when I got it.

I keep a spare in the boot but have not needed it yet.

Tbh definately not doing any harm filtering to 1 micron:)

Well she was grumpy to start this morning on a 90/10 wvo/derv mix..

4degrees was the temp.

time to go to 75/25 I think

Have you adjusted the timimg and glow plug duration? These help cold starts with WVO. My ALH lump was perfect with WVO even in deepest darkest winter. Be careful adding more petrol, the exhaust gasses get hotter.

Edited by whitep

where are you

Well she was grumpy to start this morning on a 90/10 wvo/derv mix..

4degrees was the temp.

time to go to 75/25 I think

where are you based?  maybe try bio instead as that would be cheaper if you can get hold of some

Have you adjusted the timimg and glow plug duration? These help cold starts with WVO. My ALH lump was perfect with WVO even in deepest darkest winter. Be careful adding more petrol, the exhaust gasses get hotter.

Can i use vagvom to switch the plugs on longer?

what is the script regarding timing?

I'll use derv rather than u/l

Can i use vagvom to switch the plugs on longer?

what is the script regarding timing?

I'll use derv rather than u/l

Yes:

1) Turn on ignition

2) Go to engine controler

3) Log in using 12233 as the code

4) Click on Adaptation and go to group 12.

5) Change adaptation number from 32768 (default) to somewhere around 32700

6) Click test, then save the new value.

7) Close controler

8) Turn off ignition and turn back on again.

9) Go to the engine controler & log in again.

10) Go to adaptation block 12 and you should see a change in the second window. This value is the amount of time in seconds that the glow plugs will be active.

For WVO you should advance your timing to 0.3, or is it -0.3 I cant remember offhand its been a while. But it really helps with the starting and running of WVO on the 1.9 lumps. I used to use Acetone, 50ml in a tank I think it was. In my ALH I never needed any petrol, even for the 3 or 4 bad winters we had a few years back. But 10-15% RUL is probably OK if you want to use it. My wifes ASZ lump in her A3 wasnt so good but it still runs fine on WVO.

Not sure whats happening with the fonts....

Yes:

1) Turn on ignition

2) Go to engine controler

3) Log in using 12233 as the code

4) Click on Adaptation and go to group 12.

5) Change adaptation number from 32768 (default) to somewhere around 32700

6) Click test, then save the new value.

7) Close controler

8) Turn off ignition and turn back on again.

9) Go to the engine controler & log in again.

10) Go to adaptation block 12 and you should see a change in the second window. This value is the amount of time in seconds that the glow plugs will be active.

For WVO you should advance your timing to 0.3, or is it -0.3 I cant remember offhand its been a while. But it really helps with the starting and running of WVO on the 1.9 lumps. I used to use Acetone, 50ml in a tank I think it was. In my ALH I never needed any petrol, even for the 3 or 4 bad winters we had a few years back. But 10-15% RUL is probably OK if you want to use it. My wifes ASZ lump in her A3 wasnt so good but it still runs fine on WVO.

Not sure whats happening with the fonts....

helpful stuff thanks!

do you have a screenshoy I could see?still very new to this vagcom malarky.

cheers!