Veg oil in my 2001 TDi 90bhp Octavia-my Experiences so far..

FUBAR, you'll be absolutely fine running it on veg oil. I ran mine on veg oil from it having 56K on the clock. It now has 156k on, six years later, and it goes through the MOT every year running on cooking oil, while they do the emmisions test. It pushes out less emmisions and less particulates running on cooking oil than it does regular dino diesel. I regularly tow with it, and just make sure every now and again i give it a dose of injector cleaner. Keep the engine oil and filter changed religiously, and the fuel filter changed at least half the recommended interval, even more if you are using WVO with dubious animal fat content.

Pretty much the plan I have for mine tbh-glad to hear of long term success!

• 2 weeks later...

I'll be well within the 2500litre personal limit before any requirement to pay tax arises- so it makes no odds to the boys in blue

details here:

http://www.vegoilmotoring.com/eng/legal-stuff

I drive around 10000 miles a year at around 50 miles a gallon so I should be well within the threshold

Something I haven't seen mentioned though is if you drive abroad a lot I imagine the litres used outside of UK shouldn't count

Then theres another question. Are the rules the same in the rest of Europe or is it different for each country?

However diesel is a lot cheaper in Europe so savings would be less.

In case its of any use to anyone.diesel in France is currently cheaper than it's neighbouring countries. I always fill up before leaving France in any direction.

Also Auchan supermarkets in Dunkerque or Calais can be a lot less than roadside service stations

• Like 1

I drive around 10000 miles a year at around 50 miles a gallon so I should be well within the threshold

Something I haven't seen mentioned though is if you drive abroad a lot I imagine the litres used outside of UK shouldn't count

Then theres another question. Are the rules the same in the rest of Europe or is it different for each country?

However diesel is a lot cheaper in Europe so savings would be less.

In case its of any use to anyone.diesel in France is currently cheaper than it's neighbouring countries. I always fill up before leaving France in any direction.

Also Auchan supermarkets in Dunkerque or Calais can be a lot less than roadside service stations

I dunno:)

FUBAR, you'll be absolutely fine running it on veg oil. I ran mine on veg oil from it having 56K on the clock. It now has 156k on, six years later, and it goes through the MOT every year running on cooking oil, while they do the emmisions test. It pushes out less emmisions and less particulates running on cooking oil than it does regular dino diesel. I regularly tow with it, and just make sure every now and again i give it a dose of injector cleaner. Keep the engine oil and filter changed religiously, and the fuel filter changed at least half the recommended interval, even more if you are using WVO with dubious animal fat content.

We don't even get an emissions test on diesels here. We used to get the smoke test, but due to the DVA blowing up too many peoples engines, they have stopped some time ago. lol

I have had a look around online and I can't see veg oil cheaper than diesel anywhere. :( google is failing me for bulk buying also randomly? Looking at new not waste oil? 

We don't even get an emissions test on diesels here. We used to get the smoke test, but due to the DVA blowing up too many peoples engines, they have stopped some time ago. lol

I have had a look around online and I can't see veg oil cheaper than diesel anywhere. :( google is failing me for bulk buying also randomly? Looking at new not waste oil?

Any catering wholesalers near you?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Another tank into this beastie 585.2 miles covered- 58.79mpg.

the drop from 66odds was likely down to all the drag racing and a bit more town work.

the refil consisted of 30L of veg, and 15L of derv. total cost was a most pleasing £32.49.

gives a cost per mile of 5.6p

1428it9k.jpg

Anyone in norfolk/suffolk/essex want WVO, I know a chap..... very good stuff. I wish my VRs was OK on the stuff, I would still be using it.

LPG the VRS = I am running at 8ppm with LPG costing 49.9 a litre at the moment.

Anyone in norfolk/suffolk/essex want WVO, I know a chap..... very good stuff. I wish my VRs was OK on the stuff, I would still be using it.

i could be interested - how much is there?

With them bashing diesels in the news currently due to the particles they emit. (ones without a dpf) and councils imposing taxes for diesel cars could this circumvent the tax. I.e if you prove your running on veg oil and paying duty etc then surely the particles can't be bad for you because they aren't a crude oil derivative.

With them bashing diesels in the news currently due to the particles they emit. (ones without a dpf) and councils imposing taxes for diesel cars could this circumvent the tax. I.e if you prove your running on veg oil and paying duty etc then surely the particles can't be bad for you because they aren't a crude oil derivative.

I know that lpg conversions can be registered for a reduction in road fund licence depending on year etc.

As to emissions and taxation in respect of towns I dont know-what is the deal with say snd LPG conversion in the congestion charging zone in London?

I know that lpg conversions can be registered for a reduction in road fund licence depending on year etc.

As to emissions and taxation in respect of towns I dont know-what is the deal with say snd LPG conversion in the congestion charging zone in London?

I Was more thinking about this stealth tax.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2913674/Council-charge-diesel-car-drivers-extra-100-park-outside-homes.html

If your running veg oil surely its no more dangerous than a chip shop.

Your pd VRS is likely not a fan of veg.. but biodiesel may work?

the Octavia has been remapped - 90bhp to circa 130, and 165ftlb torque to 225ftlb.

goes much better now, and still seema frugal.

I went drag racing on the last tank (15 passes) before tuning and got 48.39mpg from it.

Current tank is nearly done, and I reckon it may be very similar- despite being 1.2 secs faster up the strip.

and thats on 30L veg with 15l derv!

Time for another fuelling today-

602.3 miles on 47L (using a 44L WVO, 3L Derv mix). This tank included 17x 14 mile runs at Crail, after I'd remapped it.

Very pleased with that 58.3mpg (48.55mpg US), and a total fuel cost of £22.33 ($34.61)- giving me a cost of 3.7pmile ($0.057mile)

cW1KDMCF.jpg

On the run home I took it very easy- and had this as the shown average (based on the computer being 10% optimistic, I reckon a genuine 80mpg (66.61mpg US) over 17 miles.)

e5gQU7Ih.jpg

What do we think?

The WVO is sourced from a chap who offers it de- watered and filtered to 40 microns at 35p per litre. The on car filter is about 10 microns, so this WVO needs some additional work prior to being put in the tank.

To allow us to do this, we researched some options and came up with a potential solution at minimal cost.

All you need is a filtering medium, a storage device and a means of dispensing.

£18 bought the following:

1x 210L Water butt (with stand, tap, lid and filler tube)

1x Garden Riddle with 3x grading insert meshes

1x pack of coffee filters

This is what we cobbled together

1.Build up the Stand and place the water butt on top.
2.Screw in the tap (making sure the outlet is clear).
3.Fit the Riddle into the top of the Butt- we found a collar of cable ties provided the required support to avoid it falling in.
4.Place 1 of the meshes in the Riddle.
5.Line the Riddle with coffee filters.
6.Place a 2nd mesh over the top.
7.Check the tap is closed.
8.Pour the oil into the riddle and wait for it to drain through- repeat until oil is all filtered.
9.Draw off oil into fuel cans for pouring into the car tank.

£5 for a 210L water butt/stand and lid from an Associated Dairy
I58TxA9n.jpg

Genius! a 5L can fits under no bother
xlzO8e0W.jpg

The Riddle Base
CoOqfesr.jpg

Different Meshs
7CHXP6Et.jpg

Refined technique for supporting the filter setup
rXMGnnNi.jpg

"Would you like some Cwaffee?"
g6LqwRaB.jpg

Multiple Meshage
i8cRHIGx.jpg

Golden goodness!
4aKOeQ8P.jpg

So there you have it- a simple set up to filter the oil, for very little cost. We’ll soon know how successful it has been, as my Octavia is currently running 25L of this oil alongside the 5 micron filtered stuff we already had.

I’ll keep you updated. Although initial running has been faultless- we'll see how this tank progresses- I have a spare filter and tools in the boot incase they are needed

any questions please fire away!

*I offer no guarantees that any vehicle can be run on veg oil- anyone who chooses to do so does entirely at their own risk!*

• Like 1

LPG the VRS = I am running at 8ppm with LPG costing 49.9 a litre at the moment.

what miles do you get out of yours.. mines to £20 of LPG at 43.7 a litre makes 235 miles... whats yours like?

probably better to PM me as i dont think we would be quite welcome to hijack the derv page.. :giggle:

what miles do you get out of yours.. mines to £20 of LPG at 43.7 a litre makes 235 miles... whats yours like?

probably better to PM me as i dont think we would be quite welcome to hijack the derv page.. :giggle:

my 335i e30 has lpg- any and all alternative fuel discussion welcome!:)

I make it you're getting 23.5 mpg on lpg- can I ask how much your vrs is putting out?

cheers

my 335i e30 has lpg- any and all alternative fuel discussion welcome! :)

I make it you're getting 23.5 mpg on lpg- can I ask how much your vrs is putting out?

cheers

not sure what MPG it makes but its not a lot, but i havent got a clue what its putting out but thats on knackered coil packs and bad plugs also a blowing centre box and a LPG kit that hasn't been serviced since i've owned it, bare in mine the car has only just come into use since ive had it for almost 2 years its been in regular use the last 2 months.

i think with the new packs and plugs and with the new exhaust it can do more..

at one point the tap on the tank was open wide so it was throwing in alot more gas then needed but turned that down and it was alot better on LPG

modificationwise its got a Piper back box, will be fitting 3in down pipe with decat and straight pipe to the back box, its got a pipercross huge filter, forge 007p, samco silicone boost pipe set, n249 del, copper core plugs, and will be fitting audi R8 packs next week, and im not 100% sure its mapped but its quicker than most and power holds differently to a standard.

but all in all i feel it serves me well on LPG with a bit of servicing it can be better

As this turned into an LPG discussion. Weakest point on an LPG car coil packs leads and plugs. Fit NGK platinum every 10k for local driven cars. Make sure the leads are renewed for something up to the excessive requirements of LPG sparks and the coils are not weak. You get perfect petrol running and lumpy on LPG issues otherwise.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

As this turned into an LPG discussion. Weakest point on an LPG car coil packs leads and plugs. Fit NGK platinum every 10k for local driven cars. Make sure the leads are renewed for something up to the excessive requirements of LPG sparks and the coils are not weak. You get perfect petrol running and lumpy on LPG issues otherwise.

Yeah mine runs fine on petrol still misses abit cuz of packs but it's a lot worse on LPG

Today my tank ran out and since changing the plugs it's done 270 miles to a 50liter tank once my packs have been changed I think I'll be able to get 300 out of it!