DSG Box---- Normal drive or sport

CBFBOY

Hi All

Picking up my 2.0 Outdoor SE-L DSG  4x4 in forest green on Monday !!

I was wondering , which mode do you mainly  drive in?---- Normal mode or sport?

Drive for normal driving. Sport tends to rev too high for a diesel in normal driving.

The only time I've used sport or manual really is on the Nurburgring.

Phil

Sport is useless with the diesel - just causes the engine to rev above its effective power band.  The only time I use Sport is on downhill runs so that DSG engages a lower gear for added engine braking.

I do find the steering wheel paddles useful for engaging a lower gear before overtaking rather than relying on kick-down - smoother for passengers.

99.99% Drive.

Sport does not use 6th gear.....unless you set cruise.....why?....I don't know 

That's weird. Mine uses 6th but only if I'm doing about 70mph. Sat at 60mph and it's in 5th.

Phil

Sport mode does made a difference with acceleration too I have found even on the diesel.

Did 0-60 in 12 seconds in D;

20150807_164825_zpsofb60dm6.jpg

Then managed it in 10 seconds in S;

20150807_165233_zpsuetpyku9.jpg

Edited by Phil-E

I drop it into Sport when approaching some hazards, juctions, roundabouts... especially downhill. I find it drops down a gear or two and helps a little with engine braking and or manouvreability.

Back into D as soon as we're back on the straight.

• Like 2

+1 and the only time I use Sport mode is on a local access ramp to a bypass as D gets into 5th too soon for joining the traffic stream comfortably. S holds 4th for better acceleration then as soon as I slot into the traffic I put it back into D.

DSG is the best choice I ever made!

Fred 

• Like 2

Re 6th in 'S' in Cruise Control,  

You are not actually in 'S' 6,  it just displays that you are,  check the RPM,

& while you are in 'S6' with CC on, switch the Cruise off and you will see you were not in 6th.

On mine you really do go into 6th....been posted before and I tried it

Drive for normal driving. Sport tends to rev too high for a diesel in normal driving.

The only time I've used sport or manual really is on the Nurburgring.

Phil

I had a Passat tdi with DSG and only tried it in Sport once. Didn't like it at all, as you say revving too high and didn't sound comfortable and like a bag of spanners. Also down a dual carriageway it didn't get into top.

Used to use manual though sometimes (no paddles though) along windy/hilly roads, when towing and when overtaking, especially when approaching/going uphill (as with Fred's scenario) when if left in D it would sometimes change up too early.

I loved the DSG box and how you could either let it do it's own thing or be in complete control. And unlike most autos, the fuel consumption was exactly the same as my previous manual and sometimes better. But in Sport, noooo!!

Edited by VAGCF

+1 and the only time I use Sport mode is on a local access ramp to a bypass as D gets into 5th too soon for joining the traffic stream comfortably. S holds 4th for better acceleration then as soon as I slot into the traffic I put it back into D.

DSG is the best choice I ever made!

Fred

If I keep the foot hard down it'll get to 4500 in D .....maybe because of the 'box'. (Including a 'flutter' from somewhere)

If I keep the foot hard down it'll get to 4500 in D .....maybe because of the 'box'. (Including a 'flutter' from somewhere)

Used to do that, but you only had to lift off briefly e.g. and the car would change up a gear and acceleration would be greatly reduced which then meant other drivers would try and undertake or be up your boot! Rarely used kick-down either as it wasn't subtle enough i.e. the sudden increase in revs/noise wasn't to my liking.

DSG's are very clever, but not as clever as us as we can see the road etc. ahead. Though I understand this is being addressed on some cars e.g. BMW where GPS is being used to identify bends etc. and choose/hold onto the appropriate gear. However clever it gets though there are still going to be situations where the human does a better job.

Anyway part of my enjoyment of driving for me is the skill that I have acquired in operating a machine and doing it it as smoothly and skillfully as possible. Same goes for my motorbikes. I've embraced many advances in car design e.g. parking sensors, that make life easier but I still want to do most of the driving myself.

Edited by VAGCF

Used to do that, but you only had to lift off briefly e.g. and the car would change up a gear and acceleration would be greatly reduced which then meant other drivers would try and undertake or be up your boot! Rarely used kick-down either as it wasn't subtle enough i.e. the sudden increase in revs/noise wasn't to my liking.....

I have the luxury of little traffic, and when I choose to drive......flooring it is a novelty.

Certainly don't have that luxury in the UK very often. The scenario was on way to work on the outskirts of Birmingham, coming off an island and then uphill on a dual carriageway. You either get stuck behind a slower vehicle or overtake, where the last thing I needed was an upward gear change!

Commuting over here can be a pain, where you sometimes have to drive faster than you really want to do to avoid certain situations or get taken advantage of by other drivers.

Even having a leisurely drive in the TT away from commuting times I get aggressive drivers sitting on my boot sometimes. I can drive fast but I don't always want to.

Too many people and damn cars in this country! :D

Certainly don't have that luxury in the UK very often. The scenario was on way to work on the outskirts of Birmingham, coming off an island and then uphill on a dual carriageway. You either get stuck behind a slower vehicle or overtake, where the last thing I needed was an upward gear change!

Commuting over here can be a pain, where you sometimes have to drive faster than you really want to do to avoid certain situations or get taken advantage of by other drivers.

Even having a leisurely drive in the TT away from commuting times I get aggressive drivers sitting on my boot sometimes. I can drive fast but I don't always want to.

Too many people and damn cars in this country! :D

Oh dear!

And we're about to embark on a 2week mission to record your 'green and pleasant land', admittedly avoiding motorways as much as possible.

Sounds good, despite what I've said! :)

Just avoid the busy times of day around built-up areas and it will be fine. There are still some lovely parts of the country and roads that aren't too busy.

It will be interesting to see what you think once you have finished your trip.

Oh, and something else I've just remembered. This is the time of year that Councils think it a good idea to extensively cover our roads in that second rate repair method known as tar and chippings! :devil:

In a hire car it's not such an issue but I make detours to save my cars from windscreen and paint chips! :sweat:

Edited by VAGCF

This is the time of year that Councils think it a good idea to extensively cover our roads in that second rate repair method known as tar and chippings! :devil:

The hours I've spent with tar remover - nearly drove me mad with the white Fabia I exchanged for the Yeti.

As for 'D' or 'S' - I tried 'S' once but won't be needing it again!

Edited by longedge

Sounds good, despite what I've said! :)

Just avoid the busy times of day around built-up areas and it will be fine. There are still some lovely parts of the country and roads that aren't too busy.

It will be interesting to see what you think once you have finished your trip.

Oh, and something else I've just remembered. This is the time of year that Councils think it a good idea to extensively cover our roads in that second rate repair method known as tar and chippings! :devil:

In a hire car it's not such an issue but I make detours to save my cars from windscreen and paint chips! :sweat:

It'll be mainly 'B' roads and a Sixt problem hopefully.