Heater

Hi

I got may 1.2 HTP Fabia back in March and it's been great so far.

On buying I noticed the heater did not really push out heat and I came on here and got some ideas of what may be wrong, from the simple to the more complicated heater flap.

Not done anything until now, but it's getting colder and I would like to see if I can do anything with it.

Just out of interest, I checked the two pipes from the bulk head through to the heater matrix, and the top pipe is hot but the lower pipe is stone cold.

Looking on-line that seems to point to a blocked matrix and it advises flushing the pipe and see if that helps.

Does that sound correct?

I know it may not be but I was wondering if anybody had done similar, if it is not cost effective to repair, I will just buy some gloves as other than this it's a great little car.

Thanks

Martin

It is a closed circuit so the chance of dirt getting into it just by accident is pretty close to null. I suppose somewhere in the system it was a leak, maybe the heater itself was damaged. One of the previous owners tried a quick fix using that 'magic' sh!y poweder and things didn't went as expected. The idiot typing this message did it a few years ago. He also tried to flush the full system but without noticeable results. The only thing I had to do is to drive the car 'as was', meaning pretty hard and after about 10.000 miles all that stuff got back into the expansion tank (slowly, but efficient). If you look for an aftermarket heater matrix, it should be less than £30 without labour. Since winter is pretty close, it would be a good moment to solve this issue. Replace the matrix, fill with water, use some dye and an UV torch (ebay kits, ~£10, good DIY youtube videos) for any possible leaks and if everything is alright, get fresh G12 in the car and call it a day. :)

If it would be my car, I'd also replace the thermostat since it's a known soon-to-fail thing, the G62 temp sensor and for the next 2 years I'd just enjoy the ride. 

Edited by Alexandru
  • Like 1

Thanks for the reply, I suppose replacing saves flushing.I will look into that then and I may as well replace the thermostat. Worse case, as I said, I will just have to wrap up warm as besides this, the car is great.

I did think about the air flap motor and this was mentioned in my orginal post. The top pipe being warm and the bottom being cold, I thought that may point to something elselse. Worse case, I have to hope for a mild winter.

I did think about the air flap motor and this was mentioned in my orginal post. The top pipe being warm and the bottom being cold, I thought that may point to something elselse. Worse case, I have to hope for a mild winter.

You might be right, TMB, but that is an air flap, he says that the coolant doesn't return from the heater matrix for some reasons. A faulty air flap could be identified by using VCDS.

Fair point Alex :)

• Like 1

I have decided to flush the matrix pipes, hopeful this weekend, if that does not work, I think I will look into replacing the matrix. I gave it a good run this morning, nearly an hour, and I can get a small amount of heat from the system but on checking the pipes to the matrix the top pipe is hot but the bottom pipe is stone cold, so I still think the matrix could be blocked. I have read a lot about the know heater flap problems, but at least if I try this I know I have tried everything else. I have also checked the thermostat and that is fine and the temp gauge is at a steady ninety and the fan kicks in as well. 

Just an update to say I took it to the garage today and they flushed the system for me and added new antifreeze, net result, I have heating again, must have been crap in the system/blocked matrix. On checking now both top and bottom pipes from the engine to the matrix are now hot. So if you have a similar problem check the pipes before assuming the dreaded heater flap problem.

• Like 1