Very stiff hand brake

JohnD52

Over the last few months the hand brake on our 13 170D 47k miles Yeti has become very stiff to operate. It is still working as well as usual, but feels as if it binding somewhere, particularly when releasing it. I have to push the hand brake lever down. I assume that it needs freeing off and lubricating somewhere, but would be grateful of any ideas on where to start, e.g. with the lever mechanism or at the wheels?

The back of the slider panel is corrugated to allow it to slide around the curve. These corrugations crack and course it to jam/stick. Had this problem with the first yeti, Repaired under warranty

I had one replaced under warranty when it got stiff. At the last service I mentioned it again and they said it would cost me £xxx to replace it. I said "really, you only replaced it last year" at which they discovered you could clean and lubricate them for free. They also scolded me about keeping the blind clean, which is sort of ironic given that the job of the blind is to prevent any ingress to the handbrake ratchet and pivot and keep them clean.

Edited by weasley

My handbrake has been like this since I got the car. MOT advisory by the dealer this year, why then didn't they tell me about it on the umpteen times they had it for warranty work. I just put up with it. I'll look into the lubrication method now though.

Which bits? & how do I get to them?

Edited by vRS G60