useless dash illumination dimmer switch

It's a pain that the radio display and heater panels don't dim..

My Saab 93 had an awesome feature called night mode and pretty much shut off all dash lights other than the speedo and rev counter..

(i) It hardly more than dims the dash illumination (to my poor night vision eyes anyway)

(ii) It absolutly DOES NOT dim the very bright radio/heater display panel.

Why is this?

Doh!

Is this a general observation, or are you saying the dimmer function in your vehicle is faulty?

My heater display dims very well, as does the Bolero display. I think the Bolero display dimming settings are actually in the unit itself, but I may be wrong!

All the lights inside the car including the climate controls dim with the switch.

The screen and buttons on my Columbus also dim.

Phil

Mine also all dim.  However, I would like the lowest setting to be even dimmer - still too bright when driving on unlit roads after my eyes have become accustomed to the dark.

Dwabo appears to agree with my assessment.

yes the dimmer "works" to a limited degree in respect of the main dash display

but

does not have any effect on the radio/heater settings display thingamabob.

Over which I now drape a clean hankerchief.

which works.

I must admit my dimmer control doesn't seem to do much at all there's very little variation between maximum light and minimum light .. I'd a Citroen C5 that had a night mode and shut off everything other than the speedo.