Highest mileage VRS

• 3 weeks later...

I'm only on 140,000. New clutch at around 100,000. Turbo has just had to be replaced. Out of interest for you guys with the high mileage, have you had to replace many parts, apart from timing belts?

Turbo and clutch were both replaced before they failed. At this MOT the exhaust heat shield was falling off so that was replaced, as was the centre exhaust clamp which had corroded through (exhaust was fine, but the clamp was corroded). It's had the CV joint covers replaced on both sides. It's on it's second set of Koni FSDs and Eibach springs just because it seemed like a good idea to refresh the suspension after 8 years on the road and it's had new discs at the rear for the first time this year as well (although that's not really true because it got 312mm/288mm Octavia discs all round at about 70,000 miles so you have to factor that in as well.)

It has now got an oil leak on the bottom of the engine somewhere near the front and they're looking at that today. It's just a couple of drips on the garage floor but it needs sorting. It's now getting to the point where the servicing is more than the car is worth. But as SWMBO pointed out, a £500 service is still only 2 payments on a new one and on a new one, the first 24 payments just cover the depreciation, so we could spend £6000 on this one and still break even. And the next thing on both our lips was "and what would you replace it with anyway?"

It needs the seats cleaning (again!) and in September it will get its annual bodywork once-over from KDS and it looks like it will need 4 new tyres before the next service as well.

I think it's perfectly possible to service these cars and keep them running. I like to maintain my cars, and that's starting to get expensive relative to the market value of the car.

• Like 1

wja96  

I think that you get to a point whereby you think its not worth selling, so will just keep it till it completely falls to pieces, then sell off parts to at least recoup paying someone to take away the scrap.

• Like 1

I'm waaaaay beyond the point where the car has any value except to me as a reminder of where my business started out. I genuinely love the car and although the bills look high in relation to the car's value, they're cheap compared to what it costs to run my other cars and, in absolute terms, it's very good value for the enjoyment I get from the car.

• Like 1