Pre Reg'90 Day Rule.

leckman

A vehicle Pre-Registered and with Delivery miles but New and a car that a Dealership has as a vehicle Registered and as a Demonstrator are different things.

^ 'tis true but I don't know the rules.

I've bought prereg that I was able to pick up just like any other car and I've also had ex-demo that have had to be put away for the 90 days to expire.

• Like 1

Do the dealers have to keep the pre reg' cars the full 90 days before selling them or is the date 'optional' shall we say?.

Some manufacturers will have conditions that they can't resell them for 90 days if they still want them to count towards their bonus figures, but that's not a legal requirement. It

They could register them and sell them on straight away if they find a customer. That said, it's not unheard of for some companies to register them as fleet sales, and offer them for sale with a disclaimer that you won't get the V5 for three months so they comply with manufacturer rules.

I thought keeping hold of the V5 for 3 months by the dealer is actually illegal?.

It does seem a dodgy practice, how does the new owner stand when they Tax/insure the car in their own name. Would it be valid if they were in an accident ?

I helped my aunt find a car a few years ago, the car I found was a few months old with a number plate, I assumed it was a demonstrator. My aunt was happy with the car on test drive and I left her to sort the purchase out. She told me latter that after agreeing to buy the car and handing over payment they mentioned that there would be a delay on transferring the V5 as they needed to wait until the three months were up. By this point she felt she had no option but to continue with the purchase. As things turned out she had no problems and the V5 turned up a few months latter. 

On another occasion I was looking at a pre reg car and was approached by the salesman, I said I was not keen on the colour and was told that I could spec a car and they would source one and pre register it for me. Which surprised me.