Turbo woes?

Here goes.......

Had sticking vanes on the turbo a couple of months ago so did the Mr Muscle treatment and all was well BUT the turbo was louder, siren type noise when cold that went away as the engine warmed up. It wasn't loud, but I could hear it when driving.

So, a week or two ago, sticking vanes again and a big puff of whiteish smoke out of the exhaust. I did two 500 mile round trips down to London on the motorway a d the sticking vanes have gone. Instead, I know get some whieish smoke out of the exhaust from cold, which clears as the car warms up. This is getting progressively worse. No boost issues and drives like it always has.

Checked all the fluids, needed a litre of oil but hasn't been topped up since the last service, so not overly concerned about that. Coolant level is spot on and no sign of oil in coolant and vice versa. My initial feeling was turbo on the way out again with the sticking vanes and the slight siren noise from cold.

Seems to only do the smoke when started from cold after being stood for some time. The longer it is left, the worse it is and the longer it takes to clear. The amount also seems proportionate to the boost, set off hard in first and second and you get more. At idle there is nothing, runs clean.

My thoughts have been along the lines of oil in the intercooler and pipework that settles overnight and gets pushed through the engine when there is some boost. Under normal running the oil is just lining the pipes and intercooler so isn't noticeable in the exhaust fumes.

Took off the pipe to the ASV tonight and it was quite oily, a lot more than when I removed the EGR. Had a look at the intake side of the turbo and the pipework after the breather had a very light misting, didn't look unusually oily, so I don't suspect it is being forced out of the engine through the breather.

So, my current conclusion is that the oil seal is on its way out on the turbo. I have been quoted £310+VAT from Midland Turbos for an off the shelf recon on an exchange basis, no surcharge on the old unit but it has to be returned. They reckon they could rebuild mine for about £200-250, but the car would then be off the road for the week. The internals on the exchange are better and stronger than the OEM apparently, but not a 360° bearing like a hybrid.

So, what are the communities thoughts? Does the diagnosis seem correct and is that a fair price? Midland Turbo have come highly recommended from contacts in the trade.

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 4 Beta

Don't get the smoke until it comes on boost. If I just start up and leave idling it runs clean. Given the sticking vanes and amount of oil in the intercooler pipes the turbo is getting changed anyway. I wouldn't be surprised if I had a ducky injector as well though ......

Could be, it is a revision B, but no effect on coolant levels. I discounted it being anything pooling in the cylinders as it runs clean on initial start up until you give it a bit of boost. Turbo is sticking anyway so needs replacing, will have to see if that cures it.

White smoke can be un-burnt fuel - are you still on the original glow plugs ?

Does it run OK or miss fire at the same time ?

http://www.tdiclub.com/ is a good source of info specifically on VAG Diesel issues, it might be worth a logging session on VCDS to see what is going on - whilst it is producing the white smoke.

No, 3 out of 4 glow plugs have been replaced. No glow plug errors in VCDS. Runs perfectly fine and no loss of power. I am going to look at injector and cam measuring blocks in VCDS tonight.

Well, new turbo gone on today. Problem solved. Intake side was in pretty good condition, exhaust side full of oil and you can feel the play in the bearings. I'll get a piccie of it later before I box it up to send back to Midland Turbo.

Midland Turbo in Nottingham. £310+VAT, no surcharge just return the old one within 10 days. They arrange all of the collection and provide a full gasket set as well, which was a bonus.

• 1 month later...