Everything posted by Gissin
-
Comfort control window problem.
not possible in carista so you will need VCDS to change the coding
-
Comfort control window problem.
yeah should be able to activate it, not sure about carista or a standard ob2 - I have a carista in the car i'll have a look later
-
Anyone ridden Whinlatter?
aaaand this trips been cancelled due to the lockdown - got a refund for the cottage at least
-
help finding a new bike
Thought id provide an update to changes I've made which I think have made a difference Changed my grips to DMR death grips as my old ones were pretty shot, I have to say im impressed, the comfort and grip from them are great, I've not ridden for longer than 2 hours so I can't say how they fair on longer rides. put some Zip ties around brake lines and shifters to stop them moving about, this has tidied up the bike and reduced noise on the trail stuck on a Topeak ninja cage this comes with a comprehensive, solid multi tool and takes a 750ml bottle this combined with a tube strapped to the bike and CO2 cartridge hidden under the seat allows for shorter rides to be pack free. Humvee 2 liner shorts these are simply awesome and super comfy sat in the pub after and drove home in them too! few new bits on order for the bike Nukeproof 780mm Carbon bars (35mm) + Carbon assembly paste Topeak D2 digital pressure gauge Spank 45mm stem will update on the new parts once fitted and been out for a couple rides
-
Comfort control window problem.
if you don't have it currently it will need to be coded in
-
vRS Limited options available at Launch
what's with that arch gap though
-
Time to replace my trusty Passat b5.5
congrats on the new car dude.
-
VRS octavia diesel servicing
personally I wouldn't bother with main dealer and find a good indy/specialist unless you're bothered about having non-main dealer stamps
-
ALLOY WHEEL CLEANER
what I use on my wheels Bilt hamber Auto Wheels - everyday wheel cleaner non acidic works really well generally no agitation is needed if doing a proper deep clean Bilt Hamber corrosol - this is an iron fallout, use about once every 3 or 6 months Small amount of light cutting clay inside and out (take the wheel off) auto wheels with agitation seal with poor boys wheel sealant
-
Airbag light - I assume I need to go to dealer to reset?
not very expensive £30/40 is normally enough to find ones that reset EML/Airbag lights something like this would be sufficient: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/KW350-OBD2-Diagnostic-Scanner-for-Car-VAG-VW-Audi-ABS-Airbag-Reset-Oil-Service/233714201694?hash=item366a73b45e:g:P0UAAOSw3LxfYHg6 but if you're sticking with the vag range for the possible future then something like vagcom / VCDS would be much better, but more expensive. Sorry i'm not sure what the SOS light is but I personally would take the battery off for a bit and try and do a factory reset on info system see if this helps as a start - I assume you've removed the dash cam from fuse 6
-
Comfort control window problem.
do you have maxi dot? im pretty sure you can disable this through the menus but i'll check when i'm back at the car failing that if memory serves me correctly you can remove 'global opening' from the coding at this will stop opening/closing from the key fob
-
Airbag light - I assume I need to go to dealer to reset?
you could always buy a code reader/diagnostic with the ability to reset airbag lights
-
Time to replace my trusty Passat b5.5
at 3K you'll find something reasonable - the saloon isn't that much smaller (boot wise) but with the slanted hatch rear some things can't stand up such as bikes as an example. you;'ve not really stated what kind of driving you do but as you've opted for diesel I assume you do a fair few miles but one thing to consider some Octavia's have a DPF which if you only do short journeys often you'll soon have to replace that amongst other things - you really need to get diesels up to operating temperature. If you're only doing say a 5 mile commute i'd be looking at a petrol. I've attached a few examples: https://www.autotrader.co.uk/car-details/202010124917452?fuel-type=Diesel&onesearchad=New&onesearchad=Nearly New&onesearchad=Used&postcode=de78hj&radius=1500&advertising-location=at_cars&price-to=3000&model=OCTAVIA&maximum-mileage=90000&make=SKODA&sort=price-desc&page=1 https://www.autotrader.co.uk/car-details/202010134942232?postcode=de78hj&price-to=3000&advertising-location=at_cars&maximum-mileage=90000&fuel-type=Diesel&radius=1500&model=OCTAVIA&onesearchad=New&onesearchad=Nearly New&onesearchad=Used&make=SKODA&sort=price-desc&page=1 https://www.autotrader.co.uk/car-details/202010074710201?postcode=de78hj&price-to=3000&advertising-location=at_cars&maximum-mileage=90000&fuel-type=Diesel&radius=1500&model=OCTAVIA&onesearchad=New&onesearchad=Nearly New&onesearchad=Used&make=SKODA&sort=price-desc&page=1
-
Suspension and wheel spacer advice
yeah that's correct you wont really notice the drop but an improvement in handling without sacrificing too much comfort. https://www.dpmperformance.co.uk/car-parts/skoda/octavia/hr-50mm-cup-lowering-springs-shocks-suspension-kitoctavia-1z-20042013-12tsi-14-14tsi-16-16tdi-18tsi-19tdi-20fsi-20tfsi-20tdi-inc-vrs this would take it to about 30mm lower if you want lower you're looking at coilovers but then it's going to reducing comfort quite a bit. I used to have some Gaz coilovers on my ZS180 I remember the ride being very harsh and bouncy on rough roads
-
Time to replace my trusty Passat b5.5
depends what you want/budget/spec/type of driving you do Octavia/superb/rapid would be a similar size to your Passat
-
Suspension and wheel spacer advice
Eibach pro's are usually used with the Bilstein and pair pretty well. the eibach's were also listed as an optional extra from factory https://www.dpmperformance.co.uk/car-parts/skoda/octavia/eibach-30mm-pro-lowering-suspension-springsoctavia-1z-20042013-12tsi-14-14tsi-16-16tdi-18tsi-20fsi
-
Phillips MK3 Octavia VRS OEM+
jealous of that garage!
-
Suspension and wheel spacer advice
H&R hubcentric spacers are the only ones i'll use (and do) I run 15mm each side on the rears 30K miles and no issues Remember the vRS is dropped -15mm over standard car - suspension listed looks fine although I don't know anything about the brand . winding them down to -40mm drop is going to make them a little stiffer and I see you mentioned comfort similar to standard something like that would probably be similar to eibach pro springs and bilstein b8 shocks
-
Anyone ridden Whinlatter?
unfortunately due to nhs track and trace contacting me about being in contact with someone who tested positive I had to self isolate and move the trip - 20 Nov I'll be hopefully going now
-
Anyone ridden Whinlatter?
So I'm off to the lakes in a couple weeks for a bit of climbing, thought I might take my bike and head to whinlatter bike park and wondered if anyone had been ?
-
help finding a new bike
looking for some advice as I'm after a hardtail sub £1000 specs I know I want 1 x 10-12 gears 27.5 or 29er (leaning to 29) hydraulic discs 180/160 air forks ( ive been told with my weight 15-17st, air would suit me best) what I'm a little unsure about dropper post - I assume this can be added later? full suspension? - I've been told not really needed for what I do (Sherwood pines, through some wood lands, small jumps / drops and some bike path stuff with the Mrs) and I would be better of getting a better spec'd hard tail. tubeless wheels ? bikes I've looked at / considered buying voodoo - bazingo/bokor ( minustor/canzo -full sus) cannondale trail 2/3 / Cujo 2/3 trek roscoe 7
-
Gissin's White vRS project
Hi all, So after buying a few cars I wasn't bothered about working on, I'm back to playing with cars again I purchased a White vRS FL TDI and have enjoyed every minute of it so far, I've not done too much yet mainly just getting the car to a nice standard first, so in doing so I brought the following to do a full detail on it: Bilt hamber - korrosol and soft clay Poor boys - wheel sealant and light polish G3 colour restorer , super resin wax and clay mitt (for the wheels) Angelwax- heaven for leather cleaner Megs - gold class shampoo and lambs wool mit simmonz - tyre black and shine also picked up their hard wax with carnuba because it was on offer for £4 so why not I already had a few bits in my kit already but this lot did me proud