Skip to content

Phoenixboy

Members
  • Joined

  • Last visited

Everything posted by Phoenixboy

  1. They had my car for 3 hours to do my wiper motor, I went up to the service desk, asked there, they said it was £550 under their fixed price servicing. I then asked if they were sure. They said they'd double check the price & ring me back later that day to confirm. They did & said yes it was £550 for my engine. So if I had booked it in for the work, I'd of held them to that price. I just asked out of curiosity, as I new mine wasn't due until Jan next year.
  2. Yep the dealership confirmed the price to me, but mines not due until Jan next year, only has 25k on the clock. I think Skoda were also doing 2 services, one a major, other a minor, 2 years extended warranty & 2 years AA breakdown cover for £698, for cars up to 6 years old with under 60k on the clock when I last looked. If I decide to keep my car, I'd go for that, too.
  3. I own the same engine on the same year, I wouldn't touch the dsg oil, unless you were having issues with it. With regards to a cambelt kit change on your engine, my local'ish Skoda dealer would change it for £550 all in. As I'd asked when I was in a month ago having my rear wiper motor changed under extended warranty.
  4. I've always found Pagid to be decent, I agree about the earlier post about Brembo. I once replaced a set of Brembo pads on a Abarth 500, they were absolute rubbish, lasted around 5k. I've used pagid on a few different makes of vehicles, never had an issue once, always seem decent quality. I've not changed a set on my Octavia yet, but they look an easy to replace.
  5. Update. Took it into the dealers and their in-house warranty covers it, so I'll be having a new one fitted next week. Although I had to agree to an initial diagnostic fee of £126, which I wouldn't have to pay if it was covered under their warranty.
  6. No doubt this topic has been covered a few times. When I bought my car seven months ago I had an intermittent fault with my rear wiper, sometimes it would work, others not and I decided to live with it. Anyway it stopped for good this time. So I presumed it would be the fuse (probably not), wiring, the connectors or motor. So to isolate the fault quickly. I dropped the rear hatch trim. Got out my multi meter, tested the connector that went into the motor for a 12v feed and earthed it at the same time. Turned on rear wipers, feed was there, turned off wipers, 12v feed gone. So it looks like a faulty wiper motor. Whole job took me 10 minutes, first time I've done it, too. So it was very easy, really. Now to check to see if my years Bristol Street Motors extended warranty covers wiper motors or not, if it doesn't, I'll buy one myself and fit it. Above connector from the motor, I tested that with an earth from the lower hatch striker plate.
  7. Does anyone know if there were any engine modifications performed by the manufacturer on the later 1.5t evo engine? Not Inc the software update for the 'kangerooing', related issues. I realise that the 1.5t Evo 2 engine was introduced within 2022. I already own a 19 reg 1.5t Octavia dsg, but I'm considering buying a Scala dsg later this year with either the 1.0t or 1.5t engines. Thanks.
  8. Did the dealer state that your car had a fsh at the point of purchase? If so & it's been less than a month since you've purchased it. You could move towards rejecting the car, as it wasn't sold as advertised (no service history). You'd need to put this into writing to your dealership within a month after purchase, then see what they come back with. It also depends how important the previous service history is to you, if they can't provide it & you still want to keep it, maybe negotiate some free future services from them (have them put it in writing). If it's ex rental, then it'll have some form of service history, just a case of tracking it down or living with it. I bought my 19 plate Octavia just over 6 months ago from a none Skoda main dealer, they printed off it's previous service history for me. I also con firmed it's history from a Skoda dealer.
  9. Mine didn't come up with any codes, even at the dealers. It was intermittent, they changed it because they'd seen the same thing replicated within a previous Mokka (auto), they'd had in for repair. Fortunately I didn't have to pay for it, as I had a dealers extended warranty that covered it. Although I did look on ebay at the time to cost one up, wasn't too bad from memory. When it happens again try pushing the lever a bit further past the parked position. That worked for me a few times, then mine slowly became worse. I'd put up with it for around 3 months, as it was initially very intermittent.
  10. I may be barking up the wrong tree, but I suffered from the exact same issue, but with an previous Astra K, auto. It was intermittent like yours, but very annoying. Anyway I had it repaired under extended warranty. The cause, the gear selector mechanism, it sits just below your gear stick selector. The Astra had a torque converter box, yours is a dsg, but they both have a gear selector mechanism. If it sticks again, try pushing your gear stick lever forward past the park position, see if that then releases you key. It did so for a while with mine. Good luck and I hope you get it sorted.
  11. It's only a bit jerky at zero degrees & below, until it's warmed up, still driveable & doesn't cut out. 95 ron fuel improved it, too. It had a fssh prior to m buying it. I asked my local Skoda dealer about this update, they said they've checked & there's not one available for my 19 reg car. Although there is another close to me that I could try, but to be honest I'm not too bothered now.
  12. The 1.2t engine that's within the K was g.m designed. I think the one within the L was different, this one can suffer from the wet belt issues. I've previously owned a few K's, the quality of paint on them is very poor, too. Easily scratched and chipped, both within metallic and base colours. The 1.6t engine seems to be the most reliable engine fitted to the K's, the 1.0t not bad either if economy was your priority. The metallic paint on my Octavia is far more robust. Yes there were a lot of earlier Eco Tec roller and tensioner failures back then.
  13. I'd have to disagree with you there, I've had many dealings with vauxhall main dealers over many years, there's now still plenty of engine failures which Vauxhall/Stellantis have no interest in resolving, including the infamous 1.4t (150), GDI, self destructing engine due to lspi and end float issues. Stellantis' new 1.2t engine which has also destroyed it's self due to the internal timing belt shredding, causing catastrophic engine failure. These are only the recent engine failures. So as I've previously stated, their reliability has took a big hit over the last 10 years or so. I've made many previous successful claims over the years under Vauxhalls manufacturers and extended warranties. Regarding my dash warning light that came on, it was the engine management warning symbol in yellow, was flashing for 5-10 seconds after starting the car, then went off. Not seen it again, since. It only came on briefly whilst my car was static from a cold start.
  14. I'm averaging 48 mpg long term, mainly on e10. Also mine is an dsg, as I prefer autos now. I've not noticed an improvement within mpg with e5, just slightly more responsive & a little better from a cold start. Mine has not had the ECU update, as far as I know & my local Skoda garage said there was not one available for mine. My car is an early 19 reg, on a 68 plate. It's now covered 25k from new & I'm the second owner, first being mobility. I also like the Superbs. I'm not going to use e5 all year round, only during the very colder months, then it'll be straight back to e10. I've owned mainly Vauxhalls from the 80's on, but had a lot of trouble with them, especially over the last 10 years or so, so decided to jump ship & I'm not disappointed.
  15. Well I've owned my car for around 7 months now & the engine management light had only come on briefly the once on start up, not whilst driving. So I'm putting it down to a spurious fault. I've not had the s/s light ever eliminate yet. Although it is hit & miss when it works or not, but to be fair I've owned loads of cars within the past with s/s, none have ever worked 100% of the time, on average I'd say around half of the time, if I was lucky. You are right about the cheap code reader, just thought I'd give it a go to see if any codes were logged. The car has been excellent so far, massive boot, it's my first Skoda, too. I can be slightly jerky when driven from a cold start at zero degrees or below. This has vastly improved after using some higher octane rated petrol. To be honest it's not something that massively bothers me now, more a character trait of this engine. My car is also very good on fuel, partly to do with the two cylinders dropping out when not needed. I'd certainly consider buying this engine again within the future, possibly within a Scala. Thanks for your reply.
  16. After a cold start this morning my yellow ECU light was flashing on my dash for around 5 to 10 seconds during idle, then went off. I've stopped and started my car 4 times since, all good with no light. When I arrived back home I checked my engine with my cheap plug and play code reader, no codes stored. My car is running well. Has anyone experienced anything similar? I'm hoping it was a one off, spurious fault. Time will tell.
  17. I own an 2019, 1.5t dsg. I'll be taking mine to a trusted independent garage to have my cam belt replaced when the time comes. I've owned my car for 6 months now & took a years extended warranty out on it when I bought it, but at least it'll be out of warranty when the time comes to change the cam belt kit, so I can use my own garage of choice. I've also dropped my oil changes to yearly, instead of the extended service intervals it was on, prior to me buying it.
  18. I suppose manufacturers state that their engines can run on e10, but not necessarily well. At least I've now resolved my issue. I might have a go with Sansburys posh stuff next, as it's a bit cheaper. Over the summer months my car seems to run OK on e10. I really notice the difference when temperatures drop under zero degrees. Although it's smoother all the time now with better power delivery. I suppose with a lower powered naturally aspirated engine you probably wouldn't notice the difference. I also wonder if E10 fuels extra water content does not help the engine, either.
  19. Well it was -4 this morning and traveled my usual route to work having previously filled up with 99 ron momentum and my car is running very smoothly at lower speeds whilst cold. So on conclusion my car runs better at all temperatures using higher octane fuel. I'd advise anyone whom is having cold running issues with the 1.5t engine to try some higher octane fuel.
  20. I definitely noticed the difference between Momentum & the previous e10 I'd been using, whether it be supermarket E10 or Shell E10. Hopefully it'll work just as well from a very cold start.
  21. Update of sorts. Just filled my tank for the first time ever with Tesco momentum 99 ron fuel, my car seems consistently smoother with better power delivery, compared to my usual E10 fuel. I've not used my car when the weather has dropped below zero yet, but when it does I'll update then.
  22. I'm experiencing minor issues I suppose, sign of modern motoring I'm afraid, modern smaller turbo charged engines tuned to their emission limits. Something I can live with, as long as my car stays reliable, I'm happy. Thanks for the fuel info, my car is happy on e10, but I'll try some of the premium stuff when it gets colder to see if it makes a difference, if not I'll stick with e10, as I'm acheiving good mpg from it & my car usually runs very well. I've not owned a car yet without a minor niggle here or there.
  23. I can certainly say I have no issues from a cold start above zero degrees. Even below zero degrees my car is still driveable, never cut out or anything like that. I'm hoping for colder weather so i can try some different fuel. Seems to be running well on Shell e10 at the moment. I always fill from empty. Yes cars on forecourts can stay there for months on end, usually running on empty. Then maybe the 1.4t would be your choice, lower mileage car. I'm relatively new to Skoda, but I'm not disappointed with my Octavia, very much like my dsg box, too. I also prefer the SE spec, not too many tech gizmos I don't want, I can turn my lights on & off when I like. I also prefer the 16" alloys more for practicality, rather than looks. Showing my age😂
  24. Obviously I'm only talking from my own personal experience of owning the 1.5t engine with the dsg 7 speed box. Not trying to speculate on other owners experiences of this engine. Within my opinion the positives outway the negatives, only negitive I've experienced so far was slightly lumpy running issues for up to the first two miles from a zero or below cold start. This generally only occurs within speeds 40mph or below. It can be rectified by placing the car in sports mode until it fully warms up, not something I've done on a regular basis. I've always ran my car on E10, I'm awaiting a cold snap to see if using an higher octane petrol would help, too. I've not had any cold running issues once the outside temperature was above zero degrees, so probably over 90% of the time. The 1.5t is the most fuel efficient 4 cylinder 150bhp engine that I've ever owned so far and I've been driving for over 30 years. I'd consider either the 1.4t or the 1.5t petrol engine if you had the finances to do so, providing it had a fsh and had relatively low mileage. It may not help taking the 1.5t for a test drive from cold, as what's the chance of you taking one out below zero degrees.
  25. I'd recommend the 1.5t engine within the Octavia with the dsg 7 speed box, as this replaced the 1.4t within the Octavia 3. My 1.5t engine within my experience is excellent on fuel. I've averaged 48 mpg long term with mine on e10, just done a round trip of 160 miles, b roads & town, averaged 52 mpg, ran on 2 cylinders for 35% of the time, not that I'd noticed apart from the dash light to inform me of the fact. Only downside with this engine I have found is that it can run slightly lumpy for the first 2 miles from 0 degrees or lower, only if you are covering this initial mileage around town, until the engine warms up. At any other temperatures It runs sweet as a nut. It's not enough to put me off from buying this engine again, though. The 7 speed dsg box has been 100% smooth, over the 6 months of ownership without any issues at all. I've ran diesels for around 6 years within the past (different manufacturer), I certainly wouldn't buy another now, especially one with adblue, diesel seems to be around 20% more expensive at the pumps, too.

Important Information

Welcome to BRISKODA. Please note the following important links Terms of Use. We have a comprehensive Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.

Account

Navigation

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.