Everything posted by Phoenixboy
-
Service Interval
My car is a 19 plate with the same engine as yours fitted (now covered 24k), it was initially on extended oil servicing with Skoda, up to two yearly intervals. I've now dropped it to yearly, for what oil costs, it was well worth it. Skoda also recommend that the timing belt should be replaced at 5 yearly intervals, not a cheap job if you use Skoda, I'll be using an trusted independent.
-
Timing belt
I wouldn't use an independent that couldn't do the job. It's not due for a year, yet. I've used a few decent independents over the years that I'd trust. If I do have it done before I sell my car, I'll post prices. Looking at your link, I think Skoda would of had my eyes out. Yet their servicing prices seem more competitive generally, compared to some other manufacturers.
- Timing belt
-
1.5t dsg jerking from a cold start.
I asked my local dealer about the software update, they ran my reg through their system & said there was no update available for it. To be honest I can live with it, just a bit annoying at times, only effects my car when the outside temperature was zero degrees or lower. Other than that it runs very sweetly. I'm putting it down being a "quirk", of the car/engine. Although I will try some different fuels, higher octane ratings to see if it makes any difference. My car has not quite performed the full kangerooing act, more a bit jerky/choppy at lower speeds up to around 40mph, more if you are trying to hold it at a certain speed, say at around 30mph around town. Anything above freezing it performs perfectly well. Yours being an 04 registration, model, it'll be the 1.4t engine?
-
1.5t dsg jerking from a cold start.
Probably mainly b roads & town, with some occasional motorway trips. So mixed, really.
-
1.5t dsg jerking from a cold start.
The jerkiness was there prior to the new plugs being changed, not as bad, as it wasn't as cold then. I have a receipt for the new plugs, but just states- Additional work- spark pugs changed, then date, that's all. I'll see if the new fuel makes any difference, maybe something I have to live with, not at the point of cutting out, just slightly choppy for up to the first 2 miles of driving at zero degrees or below from a cold start, above that it's within the realms of acceptability. Maybe it's part of owning a fuel efficient gdi modern engine, as this issue seems well documented. Slightly too lean during cold running. The oil the other main dealer had used, have no idea, probably 5w 30, as it's cheaper than the 0w 20 stuff. Although as I'm now changing it yearly, I travel around 8k a year, I'm not too bothered about that. Have an invoice for all the servicing done during it's last service, but only just states- oil, one unit at £45. Was a Ford main dealer that I bought it from, but part of the same group as the Skoda garage. Hence the extended warranty. Then the plugs were changed a month later at the Skoda garage.
-
1.5t dsg jerking from a cold start.
Have you used higher Octane fuel for a while? Up to now I've never had an issue with any supermarket fuel, e10 or other. That's if the issue would be improved with higher octane fuel, still it's worth a try. Cheaper than a visit to the dealers. I'd realised that the shell e10 stuff wasn't higher octane rated, just thought it would have more additives than reg supermarket fuel. Once I've ran a couple of tank fulls, I'll post my results.
-
1.5t dsg jerking from a cold start.
Normal mode, that's it's default setting.
-
1.5t dsg jerking from a cold start.
Yep first thing I checked myself when I took delivery of my car, now that was an easy check. Oil looked clean, too. Only when I checked the receipt I noticed no plugs, rang them up, service manager agreed to have them changed at another Skoda garage within the same group, as this is what we'd agreed on prior to purchase & a years warranty. I think I'll try a tank full of Shell e10 first, as it should have more additives than the usual supermarket e10 stuff I normally use, if no better, then I'll try a tank of e5. Maybe the easier cheapest option first.
-
1.5t dsg jerking from a cold start.
Does make sense, as it feels as though it's running too lean when very cold. OK if I were to put my foot down hard (which I wouldn't want to do), especially bad at between 30-40 on a slight downhill incline within the first mile from starting cold. If you were straight onto motorway you'd have no issues at all, cold town driving it performs the most at around zero degrees from a cold start on e10 fuel. 7 speed dry box I have. I'm just making my mind up whether to stick it in the dealers or not or just live with it & maybe try some e5 first, then drop to e10 maybe over the summer. I think a lot of modern engines are now tuned to there emissions limits, which doesn't help. Made my mind up I'll try some e5 next & I'll post the results.
-
1.5t dsg jerking from a cold start.
No I asked for a major service to be done prior to me taking delivery of it as it was 3.5 years old, didn't think it would harm. Yes it had an oil change at the end of year one, end of year two a pollen, year 3 brake and clutch fluid. Then I bought it from a none Skoda main dealer when it was 3.5 years old. Yes it was on a flexi service schedule.
-
1.5t dsg jerking from a cold start.
I might try some higher octane fuel within my next tank to see if it actually helped or not. Although in theory my car should run OK on E10. I've never expperienced any issues with any petrol within the last 35 years plus of driving, but I suppose it's possible with this engine.
-
1.5t dsg jerking from a cold start.
Thanks for the info, I'll probably stick it in at the dealers to have a look at it within Jan (earliest they can do), as I have an in-house none Skoda warranty, which I could use at the Skoda garage, as they're within the same group. I think it's more engine related than the dsg box, my guess not enough fuel to the engine when it's cold. As the engine it's self seems very fuel efficient. Car runs fine once warm. Thanks for your reply, I had my plugs changed at the Skoda main dealer, didn't get a price, as they were finishing a major service off which was promised to me by another none Skoda main dealer, prior to me receiving the car. I didn't buy the car locally you see, once I took delivery of my car, I checked the service receipt & the supplying dealer had missed out the plugs. So agreed to have them changed at the Skoda main dealer. The plugs & service were carried out at around 20k, cars now covered 24k. prior to this it had a fssh. It was on a 2 yearly service schedule, I dropped it to a year. As I wanted to change the oil yearly for what it costs. The guy at the service desk didn't deny that the 1.5t was prone to cold running issues, just that this engine wasn't within the previous recall list for this issue. I have an in-house warranty, which may or may not cover this issue if they could find one. I'll have a think about their fixed price servicing deal within the future, but at this point I don't really want to commit to another two years worth of servicing, depending how long I keep the car. As it's my first Skoda.
-
1.5t dsg jerking from a cold start.
My 2019 Octavia 1.5t se dsg seems to be jerking whilst driving at low revs from a cold start. It's especially bad at around zero degrees, I've owned the car now for 4 months, it's covered 24k from new with a fsh, mainly skoda. I did notice it a bit over the summer months, but the issue wasn't as bad. I'm putting it down to the 'kangarooing', effect that seems to be effecting some of these engines. I rang my local Skoda dealer, whom said it's not one of the vehicles that was eligible for the software update. Once the engine is fully warmed up it runs a lot better, I like my car within every other way, but cold morning starts can be annoying, especially at lower speeds up to 40 mph, worse on a slight downward incline. No ECU light present, either. I also had the plugs changed around 3 months ago now, by a Skoda dealer. I also believe the issue was there prior to the plug change. If I take it to my local dealer they want the usual £126 to look, offer no guarantee of finding or replicating the issue. So it maybe something I have to live with. I've been running it exclusively on E10 fuel, too. Any advise?
-
Driver’s door - creaking [interior]
Yep my passengers side door creaks when very cold, was -4 for me this morning, once it warms up it stops, I just add it to the list of rattles & creaks that I already have. Although my main priority is a cars reliability & so far it's past that test within all weathers.
-
SCALA 1.0 versus 1.5 petrol engine for rural driving
I own a 2019 Octavia 1.5t dsg, had it 3 months now, engine is great, very economical, I've averaged 48mpg long term, enough power for me. you don't notice when two cylinders drop out, either, apart from a dash light activation to tell you so. It's covered 24k from new & has used no oil up to now. I'm considering a Scala next, If I did buy one I'd certainly go for the 1.5t engine with the dsg box. Maybe within 2 years time. It's the most economical 150bhp petrol engine I've owned yet & I've been driving for over 30 years. Neither have I ever suffered from kangarooing from a cold or warm start. Also the 1.5t is a 4 cylinder engine, very smooth, I've previously owned a couple of 3 pot 1.0t engines (not vag), they weren't bad, but not as smooth as an 4 cylinder engine within my opinion. If you have the chance I'd advise you to test drive both engines first, then make your mind up. The sports function works very well with the 1.5t engine, improves throttle response & it changes gear higher up the rev range to make the most from your extra power.
-
H7 Halogen bulbs last no time at all
My MB & LB lights are both H7's (55w), as I bought the SE spec, purposely. I uprated my halogen bulbs to Lidl's 100 brighter bulbs, I bought a few twin packs of H7's when they had them on offer for a fiver a box, used them on different cars, too. Seem to last well & they're made in Germany. So may be worth keeping an eye out for when they're next on offer. I've never blown a set either, even when I'd replaced them on a different make of car & ran them for over year until I bought my Octavia. They seem equally as bright as a previous set of Osram 150's I also fitted a few years ago, but the Lidl bulbs were a quarter of the price. I wouldn't say they're white though, maybe a little whiter than stock bulbs & a bit brighter.
-
All season tyres for Octavia
I think "Riken", are Michelins budget brand, unofficially. I've also used those as winter tyres within the past when I was running with two sets, worked perfectly well for winter usage.
-
All season tyres for Octavia
Maxxis AP2's are decent, if you could get them within your size & they come with 9mm of tread from new, bonus.
-
All season tyres for Octavia
I ran a set of AP2's for a couple of years on narrower tyres, 205 55 16's. They performed very well all year round, I live high up within a valley, so we do have deep snow at times. Main reason I used to run with a set of winters & summers, until I found it physically difficult to keep swapping wheels & tyres around on an yearly basis. I also like the look of the tread pattern on the AP3's, although I can't vouch for their performance. So within my opinion all season tyres were a good compromise.
-
All season tyres for Octavia
I've used maxxis all season tyres & their summer performance tyres within the past, found both good & had decent longevity. I'm new to Skoda, but generally speaking an all season tyre would give you good all year round performance, you'd never gain extreme levels of performance from one during the summer months, compared to the best summer tyre available, well within my experience, anyway. With my particular type of driving style, I'd be happy to settle for good all year round performance levels from my tyres. I've also in the past ran with two sets of tyres, winter & summer. As I live up north & can experience harsh winters. I have summer tyres fitted to my Skoda right now, but have narrow tyres fitted (relatively speaking), plenty of tyre choice, too. So when I come to replace mine I'll also be putting on all season tyres. When I had the Maxxis all season tyres fitted to a different car they were the Ap2's, happy enough with those for all year round use & from memory I think they also had 9mm of tread from new, which was surprisingly good news . Not sure about the tread depth on the AP'3's from new though. I'd be happy to use either.
-
Lane Assist and Front Assist - Just me?
I test drove the previous model Civic (1.0r CVT se), prior to buying my 2019 Octavia 1.5t dsg. I was impressed with the overall interior build quality of the civic, not so much with the CVT box. Also the 1.0t needs a very expensive timing belt change every 4 years (dealer cost £1500), as it's a wet belt, strip engine down job. So that put me off the 1.0t a bit, alongside the CVT transmission. The 1.5t Civic has a timing chain I believe so probably a better choice, but couldn't get it within the SE spec which I prefered. So I went for the Octavia instead. Was a close choice for me, though.
-
Lane Assist and Front Assist - Just me?
My s/s really doesn't bother me to be honest, as I could turn it off if and when required. When I stated that I have 'a little', noise when my car drops 2 cylinders, I meant to say 'very little', noise, infact I hardly notice it has occured, apart from the screen light. I think it's a good idea and it saves fuel. I like my car on a whole and it's my first Skoda in over 30 years of driving. The only annoyance I have is an resonance/rattle type sound that seems to be coming from my front dash area at between 1700-2000rpm whilst slowly accelerating. Not resolved it yet, think it's probably been there from factory. If that's the only thing I've got to moan about, think I'm doing well🤣
-
Lane Assist and Front Assist - Just me?
Mine was a 1.4t Leon dsg with the tech pack. "Reliable", meaning it doesn't work when you want it to, probably less than 50% of the overall time, also would cut out whilst you were slowly moving or just before you stop. Basically it had a mind of it's own. My previous Astra auto with S/S, the S/S would only work around 10% of the time, that was always the case from when I bought it, no matter what the driving conditions were, long, short journies, mattered not. There's little vibration from my Octavia's engine, after it fires up again.
-
Lane Assist and Front Assist - Just me?
I've previously owned 4 auto cars with s/s, none worked reliably. 3 X Astra K's and a previous Leon 1.4t. To be honest I usually leave mine on and put up with it, although my current Octavia and my 4 other previous cars were autos. I've also owned an Astra J with a manual box, the s/s on that was more reliable.