Everything posted by Phoenixboy
-
Bumpy ride - whose tried new shocks?
I have the same size wheels and tyres on my 1.5tsi ACT dsg, 19 reg. I went for this spec also for comfort with the higher tyre wall running with 205/55 16's. I wouldn't consider my car to have a firm/bumpy ride, as it doesn't have a sports orientated suspension set up. I'd first check your tyre pressures, mine are all set at 32psi (read 35psi), then check all your tyres have the same speed & load ratings, too. As the cheaper type XL rated tyres can give you a firmer ride feel. Then tyre choice/brand would also make a difference with side wall comfort, too.
-
DSG repair costs-should skoda pay
Good news, sounds like your persistence should pay off.
-
Octavia mk3 buying advice - what to avoid?
I'm fairly new to Skoda, only talking from my own personal owning experience. Although I'm not new to driving, owned many cars over the last 35 plus years of driving. I've now owned my 2019 1.5tsi ACT dsg SE for nearly a year now, has only 27k on the clock from new. So far the dq200 gearbox has been a pleasure to own, drive & it's been 100% reliable so far. I like my 1.5tsi ACT engine, it's the most fuel efficient 150bhp engine that I've every owned so far, for obvious reasons. I've averaged 48mpg long term with it so far on mainly e10 fuel. Within the year of ownership I've had the rear wiper motor replaced (common issue), under extended warranty & an s/s efb battery paid for myself. The only downside I can see from owning this engine is that it's a little jerky from a cold start at zero degrees or below, until it's fully warmed up, which sometimes takes up to 2 miles when very cold. This vastly improves when using a higher octane fuel, would this put me off from buying another? No. Obviously down to this super efficient engine running at it's emission limits. Fine when the outside temperature is above zero degrees (most of the time), from a cold start. If I were to buy another I'd also buy an estate, as you might as well maximise the space that you already have. I'd also consider a mk4 estate with the similar engine and dsg box within the future, probably the sel spec or possibly a Passat or a superb, too.
-
DSG repair costs-should skoda pay
I think I'd personally fight on a bit with 'skoda', not the dealership, try and increase their goodwill gesture, pointing out it has a fssh and that you've serviced with them last. It's a low mileage car just out of manufacturers warranty. See if they come back with an higher offer. If not, see if you could negotiate your £250 diagnostic charge down a bit. Then take your car to a independent gearbox specialist and pay at least half the price to have it repaired or reconditioned. If the o.p is stuck for an independent gearbox specialist I do know of a couple up north around 70 miles away from Leeds. Although I'm sure you'd have some closer to you. Good luck with it.
-
recharging the battery?
If it has a 4 year guarantee, may be worth having it load tested. As I'd say it was a little low at 12.34v, swapped mine at 12.28v. Mine being an EFB, yours an AGM. I was quoted a £10 difference between the two, fitted.
-
recharging the battery?
I've just had my 4.4 year old battery replaced, was at 12.28v prior to starting, had s/s fault come on a few times, prior to starting. After testing it with my multi meter, then had it load tested at my local garage whom also confirmed it needed replacing. It's an EFB battery, new battery replaced, now reading 12.6v at rest, s/s light not come on since and my s/s now seems more reliable. New battery has a 2 year guarantee.
-
DSG repair costs-should skoda pay
I own the same gear box & the same engine, my cars an 19 reg & covered 27k, up to now the dsg box has been faultless. I'm not sure what Skoda are like with regards to goodwill gestures once your car is out of manufacturers warranty? As I'm fairly new to vag cars, although in the past I've made many warranty claims with other manufacturers. Do you have a fssh? I hope they paly ball (Skoda that is).
-
Buying Advice
I now understand what point you were trying to make. The extended warranty with Cazoo is payable monthly at £19 per month or a one off fee via their checkout. It's an insurance backed rac product, so I presume if Cazoo were to go "bust", then you'd keep the cover. Not sure about paying monthly though, as no doubt Cazoo would take a cut from that, too.
-
Buying Advice
When I sold my last car to them, they offered me a grand more for my car than anyone else, so I happily took it & they collected my car from my home, then bought my Octavia elsewhere. Although I think most people want to test drive their cars first, prior to buying, as Cazoo are now finding out. No I'm not buying an warranty from Cazoo or a car, I was replying to the original op on here with regards to purchasing a car from them.
-
Buying Advice
After buying and selling many cars within the past, including recently selling one to Cazoo (easy process), I'd always test drive the car first, look over it with a fine tooth comb, if you are not happy with it, walk away, there's plenty more out there. It's easier to get jobs done prior to buying a car, than afterwards. I bought my last Skoda online only, after driving a similar specked car from a different dealership within the same group. The car was good when I received it, but needed some bits & pieces doing to it, including some bodywork & servicing, after arguing on the phone & threatening to drive their car back to them for a full refund. The work was eventually done to an acceptable standard, but I had to take the car in to another dealership to have it done at my own time. When you pay top cash for a low mileage nearly new, used car you'd expect it to be of a decent standard, you can't pick up everything from photo's. I certainly wouldn't buy a car from Cazoo, as it's a failing company now. If you took out their extended warranty, they went bust, what then? Generally with cars, like most things in life you pay for what you get & if it's cheap it's usually cheap for a reason. Within my experience a lot dealerships don't prepare their cars to decent standards prior to sale, so it's best to view them in person, first.
-
Changing a s/s battery?
So far, yes, although it's early days.
-
Changing a s/s battery?
New battery now fitted (EFB), they'd ordered an AGM in by mistake, 20 mins later had an EFB dropped off. So in the end had it supplied, fitted and adapted for £150 all in, so was pleased with that and a 2 year guarantee on the battery. They used a type of cloned system to adapt the battery. New battery showing 12.7v with engine switched off.
-
Changing a s/s battery?
Yes we have another car within the household & that has an AGM battery, no doubt that would be more expensive to replace. The garage will be replacing mine tomorrow, so they'll be adapting the battery. My s/s has been all over the place over the last 6 months, so hopefully the new battery may help with that, too.
-
Changing a s/s battery?
-
Changing a s/s battery?
Thanks for the info, no I don't have vcds. It's booked in tomorrow and I'll get a 3 year guarantee with the s/s battery. It's a trusted garage I've used within the past, they generally service and repair a lot of Octavia taxi's. They are also a dsg repair specialist. Just one of those things I suppose with batteries, I once had one fail at 18 months from new on an vauxhall. As predicted the dealer extended warranty doesn't cover batteries, so I haven't took it there for a replacement.
-
Changing a s/s battery?
Thanks for that. Now I'm home got the multi meter out, on idle it's 14.5v, which would be normal I presume, prior to starting 12.28v. So I'm thinking it's a little down? Had to double check, just incase. I'll probably have it fitted, doubt I'd be able to buy a new one for much less than £160.
-
Changing a s/s battery?
I had a s/s fault warning appear on my dash this morning prior to starting it after finishing work. So I decided to go to a garage and have it load tested. They said it needed replacing. It's sitting at 12.2v prior to starting. I'm going to double check this when I get home using my multi meter. I'm also considering replacing it myself, dependant on price. If I do replace it myself, is it a straight swap or is there anything else involved? Garage quoted £160 to replace it, which I thought was very reasonable. I also have a dealer extended warranty, but I doubt it'll cover the battery, but I'll check. My Octavia is just over 4 years old with 26k on the clock, so a little disappointing, but a battery could go at anytime.
-
DSG delayed response
I started most of my driving life using manual transmissions. Over the last 10 years or so I switched over to auto's, I've owned several, including torque convertors, now onto my second dsg box, same as yours, although mine is twinned to the 1.5t engine. I'd say my dsg box was as responsive as any other auto I've ever driven (CVT's seem to be about the worst), there is a slight lag between changes when accelerating from a roundabout etc. I've not found this to be significant though. I personally much prefer auto's now to manual boxes, find them smoother. I've never once though that my dsg box was unsafe, always found it smooth & reliable at all times, never sluggish to take off from a standing start. If you are not happy with it take it back to the dealer & explain your issues. You have the most protection legally speaking for the first month after purchasing a used car. Some autos have a bit more throttle play than others, this can be decreased by myself selection sports mode, but to be honest I rarely use it, I just put my foot down harder if required.
-
7 speed DSG clutch...cost?
Hello & welcome to the forum. I'd only use a main dealer if you'd took out an extended warranty with them, otherwise I'd use a independent gearbox specialist to have a look at it for you.
-
Octavia III randomly braking on the highway
I own a 19 plate 1.5tsi dsg, does not have brake assist, fortunately that was one of the reasons I choose a lower spec car. Could it be a sticky brake caliper? I once had this on another car, but the effected wheel would squeal as well. I released the caliper myself, then eventually replaced it, was on the back, too.
-
7 speed DSG - oil change or not?
I have the same box, it's sealed for life. Personally I wouldn't change it, you have a taxi driver on here that stated he's covered 200k without an oil change.
-
Octavia holding resale price
It's all down to supply & demand, basically. I'd go with whatever you fancy the most for the cash that you want to spend. I tend to buy as lower mileage as I can afford with a fsh, preferably from a reputable dealer, just in case it needs to go back within the first month from purchase, as you have more legal rights buying from a dealer. Obviously doesn't have to be a main dealer, as you tend to pay a little bit more for that privilege,
-
ŠKODA OCTAVIA HATCHBACK 1.5 TSI SE L 5DR DSG
Although within my experience with vauxhall service prices are negotiable if you ask, I was offered a major at £350 directly from the dealership using vaux parts. Think they did my a brake fluid change for £20 last time I was in for a service, so swings & roundabouts I suppose.
-
ŠKODA OCTAVIA HATCHBACK 1.5 TSI SE L 5DR DSG
If I were to keep it, I'd pay the £698 to cover 2 Skoda services, 2 mot's, 2 years extended warranty & breakdown cover. Then 6 months later I'd hopefully pay the £550 for the cambelt replacement. Skoda servicing is cheaper than Vauxhall/Stellantis, as they now charge £440 for a major, alone. Although £75 for a brake fluid change by Skoda is steep. Do you have any idea if not having my aircon serviced by Skoda, would effect a potential claim later on with their extended warranty? As I think the aircon service would be outside of their fixed price servicing.
-
ŠKODA OCTAVIA HATCHBACK 1.5 TSI SE L 5DR DSG
I also test drove a Scala 1.0t dsg, I liked it, not enough to give my Ocativa up for, though. At least i put that idea to bed.