Everything posted by Phoenixboy
-
ECU light.
AA have been and put there code reader on it, said there were codes stored, 2 cylinders had a miss fire. Cleared them, said there's nothing he could do unless the codes were live. Said it's possible one coil pack could break down, to then show two miss fires on separate cylinders. Then said it could have been condensation or bad fuel. So that's it, unless it were to happen again. It's been 100% reliable until today, apart from the new battery which didn't stop it from starting. The s/s light has gone off, too.
-
ECU light.
I eventually got through to a decent dealership, first one I rung said I'd have a 5 week wait for the diagnostic. Rung another, advised me to ring Skoda Assist (AA), as its part of my 'all in plan', which I've just done. Should be with me within the hour, hopefully they'll be able to diagnose the issue, maybe transport my car to a dealership if required.
-
ECU light.
I've restarted it a couple of times since, ecu light out, but I have a start and stop system error that comes up just after I start the car, then it goes off again. If it was fuel related I'd have thought the issue would have occurred soon after I'd filled up, but I've covered 100 miles since I last filled up, problem has just occurred since this morning. When the ecu light was actually flashing the engine sounded like a bag of hammers.
-
ECU light.
Just started my car again, ecu light now flashing, before it was static, s/s light on as well, engine sounded rough, screeching type of sound as I was walking to my garage for my code reader. Got back to the car, ecu light now not illuminated. Checked with code reader again, same codes displayed, buy one now saying fault now there on start up. Engine sounds OK, but maybe slightly lumpy on tick over.
-
ECU light.
I'll do that once it stops raining.
-
ECU light.
No the ecu light is on permanently. Regarding fuel I use a mixture of petrol types, mainly whichever was handy at the time. I tend to use e5 over the winter tike as my car is smoother from a cold start. As well we know the kangerooing effect with this engine. I do get the odd s/s light illumination prior to starting (only occasional), but my battery is good. Don't think that's related though. Most of my journeys are 10 miles plus, engine warms up quickly. Happy generally with it so far and it's good on fuel.
-
ECU light.
I moved over to Vag after many years of Vauxhall/Stellantis rubbish hoping for better reliability. Vauxhalls up until around 10-15 years ago were very reliable.
-
ECU light.
I'm hoping it's something easily diagnosed by them. Only had the warranty now for just over a month, if it had been under a month, I would have not been able to make a claim. Rung my local dealership up to book in for an diagnostic, sorry we are too bust to talk, someone will ring you later. Thanks for your help.
-
ECU light.
-
ECU light.
I took it from engine code on the v5. Do you mean chassis number? I'll have a look on the Cambelt cover. As I've had generic codes relating to multiple missfires, maybe not be a coilpack then? If they are single packs. Cars still driving A1.
-
ECU light.
G022H722 I'll check under the engine bay for the coilpack or packs. I'm no vag expert, looks like single coilpacks, bit hard to see with the plastic cover on. Thanks.
-
ECU light.
I had the plugs replaced at my request, no faults. Yes I know what you mean about a decent reader, but I have the warranty, otherwise I probably would have bought one.
-
ECU light.
Also come up with random missfires, reason I suspect coilpacks. I have the skoda extended warranty, so I'm booking my car in for a diagnostic. Plugs were changed last year my Skoda main dealer at 22k, car now covered 30k.
-
ECU light.
I own an 2019 Octavia 1.5tsi act dsg se, 30k on the clock, fdsh. My ecu light came on this morning and stayed on. Checked the battery, it's OK and it's charging OK. Got out my trusty generic code reader, came up with p0300, 302 and 303. So my guess new coil pack required. Fortunately (I hope), I've took out the Skoda all in service and warranty plan. I'm booking it in for an diagnostic, initially at my expense, my fingers are crossed. Owned the car a year now, so far its had a new battery (I paid), rear wiper motor (paid for under dealer extended waranty), rear brake pads and discs, I changed them. Anyone have any further ideas on possible fault cause?
-
Timing belt change no longer required at 5 years old?
Not sure.
-
Timing belt change no longer required at 5 years old?
It's only Skoda recommendation that has changed, if it snapped they wouldn't repair or replace the engine for free. Unless you had an extended warranty that covered it whilst it was within official recommendations.
-
Mk3 Octavia Rear Brake Replacement
Nice clear instructions & pictures. I changed mine a few months ago, although I had to take off the rear caliper carrier bolts off to replace my discs, that was the hardest part of the job for me. Limited access & you need an m14 tool to take them off.
-
Best Skoda for mostly short drives & occasional longer trip?
Well it also depends how much you want to spend & the spec of car you are after. I own a 19 plate Octavia 1.5tsi dsg SE ACT dsg, I've averaged 48mpg long term from it on e10 fuel, very happy with that. I went for a lower spec car as I wanted smaller wheels (16"), less tech, no lane assist, auto lights or auto brake assist either. So for me I bought the right car for once. Also the boot his huge, also a bonus. I'd say it's a slightly longer car than average, width about average. I've mainly also owned vauxhalls prior to this & I'm not disappointed with my Skoda. It may also be worth while you test driving a 1.0tsi dsg, too. as you'll get a newer car for your money, it certainly won't feel underpowered, compared to your normally aspirated 1.8 Astra engine. Also the 1.5tsi ACT engine drops two cylinders when you don't need them to save fuel, my car has ran on 2 cylinders for around 30% of the time, not that you'd really notice that apart from a dash light informing you of it, does so automatically to save fuel.
-
1.0 TSi and 1.5 TSi Cambelt change interval
Officially the 1.5tsi ACT engine is 10 yearly change intervals (mileage dependent), but that's only guidance, there would be no guarantee if it were to snap early. Skoda wouldn't pick up the bill, unless it was within their extended warranty. I own a 19 plate 1.5tsi, recently took out Skodas all in warranty/servicing package, so if my belt were to snap over the next two years, as it's still on the original belt it would be covered. I'd probably test drive the 1.0tsi engine first, I was impressed by it, although it was fitted within a friends Up GTI, that cars a lot lighter.
-
Which break pads brand are good ?
I'd use any apart from an original or brembo pads, don't rate either. I changed my rear discs & pads a couple of weeks ago. The pics that @Carlstonhad kindly provided also show the spring clips on top of the pads, these hold the pads within their carriers. I just used a cheap set of british made OEM discs, cost be £20 each & a set of cheap pads at £16, I expect them to out last the original set that only lasted for 29k from new.
-
DSG issue - possible mechatronic unit
If Skoda can't guarantee a fix or diagnose the issue correctly, I'd take it to an independent gearbox/dsg specialist, go from there. I had my gearbox linkage replaced on a different make of vehicle, symptoms were I couldn't remove my key from the ignition after placing my lever in park. Other than that my car ran perfectly well. Was also an auto, torque converter type.
-
All in warranty.
Up to now my Octavia has been very reliable (apart from rear wiper motor), it's the main components I've took the warranty out for, too. I don't see it to be a lot of cash to spend, considering what you actually get for your money & how much your car was worth. I rung Skoda up to ask how much a years extended warranty would be alone, then my servicing on top, £400. So the all in warranty is certainly better value for money. As far as I can see it's for cars aged 3-6. Mine being 4.5 years old, now. As I've said I'll do my own brakes or anything else that doesn't directly effect the extended warranty.
-
All in warranty.
As stated it's the Skoda all in extended warranty, plenty of info on their website about it. Cost me £840 for two services, one major inc plugs, two MOT's, 2 years AA breakdown cover (inc home start), 2 years extended Skoda warranty. Mainly bought it for peace of mind to cover my dsg box, engine inc timing belt whilst under warranty. I won't be buying any dealer extras, including brakes, as I've just changed the rears myself for less than 25% of their quoted cost.
-
Looking to purchase; some advice required
I agree with the previous poster with regards to wheel size on the U.K's potholed roads. I've owned my current Octavia for a year now, my first, personally I wouldn't consider anything above 16" wheels for comfort & you have a wider, cheaper selection of tyres to fit. Usually the higher the trim level the bigger the wheel. I'd consider putting 16's on it if you liked the car, not forgetting to inform your insurance company if you did.
-
Replacing rear discs and pads.
This is my first Skoda, so I have no idea about superbs, apart from sitting in one & I liked it. Although my dad did own a few skodas back in the late 70's/80's. Showing my age. Back then everyone took the mick out of them, but in fact they were very reliable & kept your hands warm when you pushed them😂Actually his were reliable & very easy to work on, engines being in the back. I think some of the earlier Ocatvias weren't as deep. As the first set of discs which didn't fit were meant to fit an earlier model. Maybe 1 or 2cm in it.