VRS Air conditioning

Fabia 2005 05 1.4 16v Daft question but how cold do a normal functioning a/c sytem get on Skoda's Mine is not getting cold at all. The cold position on ambient air is in fact colder than when running the a/c at max fan speed with the a/c switch lamp illuminated.Previous cars have been ice cold in the Honda 3ltr accord two door through to warmis on LR and Rovers, Any ideas please.

ADS

love those audi wheels :thumbup:

but really, the aircon shouldn't effect the fuel that much....

70 mph one way , and 90mph they other would affect the fuel that much! lol.....:P

And as i said earlier the fact that in one direction you were travelling uphill more would affect the mpg. I get between 55 and 65 depending on how fast i'm driving on the way to work but only ever get between 40 and 50 mpg on the way home.

Cheers

Dave.

Hmmmmm, maybe it was something else then.......

Like you say uphill/downhill. Don't think i drove any faster one way than i did the other.......

Maybe another trip up there with the air-con on, and back down with it off would prove the hill theory??

Or just a long term test on my commute to work over the summer...?

Fabia 2005 05 1.4 16v Daft question but how cold do a normal functioning a/c sytem get on Skoda's Mine is not getting cold at all. The cold position on ambient air is in fact colder than when running the a/c at max fan speed with the a/c switch lamp illuminated.Previous cars have been ice cold in the Honda 3ltr accord two door through to warmis on LR and Rovers, Any ideas please.

ADS

You can check whether your air con is working correctly by leaving the car running with the AC switched on, and opening the bonnet. The compressor is near the front of the engine bay, and the silvery pipes leading into and out of it can be clearly seen. If the AC is working correctly, you should see droplets of condensation (or even frost) on one of these pipes, and this proves the compressor is cooling the refrigerant correctly. If not, you may be due a regas. If you do, however, it may be that your flap motors or your evaporator temperature sensor that is/are playing up (symptoms and fixes both covered on here)...

HTH :)

Whenever i switch mine on the fuel computer readout drops dramatically!!!! It roughly halves!!! Last summer i drove up to Edinburgh for my brother-in-law's stag do. Had the air-con on for most of the journey back. Had to fill up twice, compared to just one fuel stop on the way up (but that was just outside edinburgh).

Air-con is thirsty!!!!!!

I just open the windows unless i really really need to switch it on. Especially with Diesel now £1.25/litre round here!!!!!

Yep, same here, it will knock a good few MPG off with the air-con switched on.

Yep, same here, it will knock a good few MPG off with the air-con switched on.

That's only valid if you're driving in town (and only slowly, even then!) Driving on the open road with your windows open wastes far more fuel than using your air con does!

That's only valid if you're driving in town (and only slowly, even then!) Driving on the open road with your windows open wastes far more fuel than using your air con does!

Yeah, true. I find that on a long cruise economy is only a few MPG down, but around town it drops from an indicated 50MPG to 38MPG.