Keyed!

Hey,

I am completely gutted, Got home from a friends house last night and woke up to find that my door had been keyed while we were over there having dinner. Two gouges, one on the front passenger the other on the rear passenger side door. The little scumbag did a good job of it too, got it right down to what I assume is the metal.

Was hoping to hear if anyone had any advice on repairing this stuff. A friend told me he knows someone who can buff it down and touch it up, but will still be noticeable if you look for it. The only other option I can think of would be a complete respray of the two doors, plus the panels around them. Now, I was advised against this as apparently when you attempt to sell on the car it could be interpreted as repaired crash damage (ie resprayed doors and panels). Is this true? I'd really appreciate some kind words as this has soured my Fabia experience. Two punctures, an egging and now this. :(

Will post some pics tomorrow if that'll help.

Thanks,

Darragh

Dad does such repairs, and they can be done without respray and almost completely invisible.

He hates them as they're time consuming, but after seeing the before and after effects of a scorned GF on some blokes car, I'd have never though key scratches could be resolved so well!

I've had my car for 18 months now...

Day 6 car reverses into my bumper leaves a big black mark, cleans off but leaves a scrape...

Day 13 passanger side door keyed on a Saturday Afternoon in broad day light :rolleyes:

Lucky I have had nothing since :o

Hey,

I am completely gutted, Got home from a friends house last night and woke up to find that my door had been keyed while we were over there having dinner. Two gouges, one on the front passenger the other on the rear passenger side door. The little scumbag did a good job of it too, got it right down to what I assume is the metal.

Was hoping to hear if anyone had any advice on repairing this stuff. A friend told me he knows someone who can buff it down and touch it up, but will still be noticeable if you look for it. The only other option I can think of would be a complete respray of the two doors, plus the panels around them. Now, I was advised against this as apparently when you attempt to sell on the car it could be interpreted as repaired crash damage (ie resprayed doors and panels). Is this true? I'd really appreciate some kind words as this has soured my Fabia experience. Two punctures, an egging and now this. :(

Thanks,

Darragh

Unless you really know what you are doing any repair is likely to be detectable, either take it to an expert or go the respray route, if you find a bodyshop who speak the right language it will be a cash job. A home bodged repair might increase the cost of the respray to correct it

A properly done respray will be hard to detect & perfecty acceptable, you would be amazed how many cars have minor repairs before they are sold as new, if you are worried what people might say take a decent set of pictures before the work is done. I think the advice you were given against this was "not of the real world"

Yeh I had the entire offside of my vRS scratched about a week ago. It was done on my driveway so naturally I felt pretty gutted, and I don't think it was random either because I live in a cul-de-sac and I keep my car tucked away near some bushes on my driveway.....so I have definitly upset somebody.

Either way I had a good friend that just finished his apprenticeship for Mercedes as a panel beater so he sprayed the entire side of my car for £300. It looks fantastic! You would never know for the life of you it was keyed.

Was pretty upsetting though, especially as the girl\boy obviously made a point to come onto my drive and key my car. :(

This ****es me off stuff like this.

Mines has been hit thrice in 4 months

1. some moron scrapes the rear quarter while parking (i dont use car parks now)

2. Sitting in the street some incompetent tw4t hits my wing mirror and scrapes the edge ( i turn my mirrors in now)

3 While sitting at the garage i assume a door has swung and hit the drivers rear door

RAGING

:eek:I also seen my mate who just got a brand new astra, and thest little brats were leaning up against it! while a football was being kicked between them! hes already had a wing mirror yanked off! :mad:

probrably not the best place for him to park the car but theres no where else thats close.

also its when your sat in the car yourself and someone opens the door and you hear a massive clonk as you look at someone next to you getting in or out of their car!! i dont get people sometimes.

Someone did this to my car about 4 times in the same place. Luckily it wasn't down to the metal so it polished out. Set a camera up and found out who it was and it was a nieghbour. I was parking in her space so she keyed my car. One afternoon I saw her car in a carpark at a shopping center and keyed it to fu*k.

She never keyed my car again. Slag:mad:

Hopefully you will find out who it is and do the same to them or maybe even set fire to there car. These people got no repect.

I feel for you!!!

Gaz

Sorry to hear about the damage to your car.

ChipsAway don't do bonnets/doors IIRC, but the guy in my area gave me a couple of bodyshop recommendations when my girlfriend's car got keyed, so maybe worth giving them a call.

Hey,

Thanks,

Darragh

Have had the misfortune to have had mine done three times, and so far the total bill is in excess of 1k, part insurance part cash......Not so nice....:thumbdwn:

Hey everyone,

Thanks for the kind words and the great advice. I've to check with my insurance broker to see if I have no claims protection, and if I do I'll go for a respray. I'd still be paying a €190 excess, but if it needs to be done! I've been since told that a buff down and touch up by a local and skilled repairer is a good option, so I might go that route instead.

The thought had crossed my mind to seek vengence, but then I'd be as bad as them. I just need to take this on the chin and really be careful where I park in the future (ie, from now on it'll be employing a cloaking device).

Here are a few pics of the damage.

keyed_1.jpg

keyed_2.jpg

keyed_3.jpg

The light didn't help, but I think you get the idea. Anyway, I'll keep you up to date with how it all goes.

Cheers!

... if you are worried what people might say take a decent set of pictures before the work is done.
I second that advice. :thumbup:

It's just plain jealousy and spite.

Personally I wouldn't claim on the insurance for that, it's not that bad really. I would just get it touched up by someone who knows what they're doing. You'll just go through the roof if some git does it again.

Had mine keyed a couple of weeks after I'd bought it - along all four nearside panels! To say I was gutted was an understatement! Luckily it was able to be repaired without the need for a full respray, but it just makes you feel sick that some jealous little punk would do that to a car!

Feel for m8, i had a hire car after an accident parked it up 1 day came back after work some **** scracthed front 2 back wing doors back panel the works still cost me my excess, then when i bought a 2nd hand 306 had it 2wks got scratched down both drivers side doors.

Wifes car got wing mirror pulled off along with several others up & down the road, it sucks!

Cheers everyone. Hitting over to the bodyshop some time this week to get it touched up rather than resprayed. Another side effect is that I'm afraid to park it in the area again (one of my best mates places). So instead I have to walk 10 mins up from the next parking spot.

If I found the **** who did it though, god help me!