LPG on my 4x4

Just had a chat with a local company with respect to converting my Octy to run LPG

Looks a sweet install, and it'll will pay for itself in 12 months.

The guys had a lot of experience of the VAG 1.8T so no problems, should even get a 60 litre tank in the spare wheel well,

Was going to change to a diesel but........

You can't argue with 44p a litre!!!!:D

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yep, I think the 1.8T is quite well suited to LPG really. Not so sure on more modern FSI engines though :confused:

If you do a lot of miles, it certainly makes sense.

I'm sure a guy on here, WrightyRS I think his name was did over 100k before he blew his engine up! :P

Government will soon bring the LPG duty in line with Petrol.

Have you got anything to back that up? As I'm currently considering going LPG I'd be very interested to read anything that suggests this will happen.

44p a litre? Where from? It's 55p a litre round my way.

A local attendentless fill point, basicallys set an account up, you get a chip key and pin number to fill up, and get billed at the end of each month and payed by DD. Much easier than regular fill stations.

Have you got anything to back that up? As I'm currently considering going LPG I'd be very interested to read anything that suggests this will happen.

Currently from what i've read there is a 5 year aggrement with the govenment not to increase the Duty on LPG, currently it goes up about 0.5p/year. Car tax also goes down:D

How would a remapped octi run on this out of curiousity, would it not pre ignite under compression :confused:

Apparently ok, as it still uses ypur current injector signals processeed through it's own ECU to inject the right quantity of mixture, still need to do some more reading on the matter:confused:

unless you do a lot of miles its not worth it.

my works van is LPG and swmbo has an LPG vectra that was given to her by her brother in law.

it doesn't run as well on gas(either vehicle) and although the cost of fuel is lower the mpg is also far lower. the vectra will do about 200-230 miles from its 50litre tank and costs about £25 to fill up but it'll do 400 miles from £60 of petrol driven in the same way so over 400 miles you can possibly save £10 at best.

how much is the conversion going to cost and how does it affect your insurance?

if it costs £1500 to convert and no difference on your insurance then thats going to take 60,000 steady miles just to break even. but if it costs nearer 2k then expect 80,000 steady miles to break even.

not only that but lpg is much more picky about weak ignition systems so if your ignition system is only running at say 85% petrol won't care and it'll work fine but you'll get misfires and knock from lpg.

my 4 year old lpg transit has had 4 new sets of coil packs so far at least just because it missed on lpg but ran fine on petrol.

nothing to back it up just faith in the government, think how they have rebanded VED

Well yes i do have a vRS on LPG.

And no i didn't "Blow" my engine up.

Just make sure you get a "Flashlube" kit fitted.

LPG has less lubricants than petrol and runs differently.

The Flashlube will also stop the valve seats from burning out like mine did.

I've had to replace the head not the engine.

I would convert any car in the future no question.

Out of interest, how do you find the different fuels, is there any noticable difference in power like bengie says ???

Hi , i ve run a 1.8 turbo from new on lpg no problems in 55000miles and it was chipped by JS to 210 BHP

current got a 4x4 est on lpg which is running perfect to , no one can tell when its on LPG , Its all down to who fits it , a well set up/ fitted kit runs perfect only go for the new er kits which take the fuel injector signal and modd them for lpg injectors

it be a turbo thing but the two i use definitly don't run the same on lpg and both are factory fitted options not aftermarket, not that it makes any difference i suppose.

I genuinely can't believe anyone would consider this. It's only cheaper at the moment because of the tax advantage, which could easily be withdrawn overnight at any point.

Honestly, just buy a diesel.

it be a turbo thing but the two i use definitly don't run the same on lpg and both are factory fitted options not aftermarket, not that it makes any difference i suppose.

The ford and vaux where just fitted aftermarket to a price and the not the best or most up to date kits availble

gov has frozen tax for 5 y on lpg but after that who knows ??

i love lpg 110 octan better than super @ 98 ish and its cheaper to run , but all all down to to the kit and who fits it and how much care they take fitting and mapping it

Ta, your the second person to recomend that so will do.

The conversion i've been offerd does look sweet latest technology and ecu controlled, and the millage i do will pay off the kit in abound 12 months (350miles a week) so if duty does go up after that ( even if it does it will still be chepaer that petrol) i will just have a car that can run dual source with a range of about 800 miles:D

:cheers:

Blanchie

800 miles??

i'd like to see that happen, on a long trip with steady driving i could get 400miles from my petrol tank and i'd be very surprised if you could get 400 miles from an lpg tank considering that you can only fill an lpg tank to around 85% and it does about 85% the mpg so you would need a 90 litre lpg tank roughly to manage this i'd say.

personally i don't think 18k a year is enough miles to warrant an lpg conversion really but it is your choice :)

the vectra we have is great, i like the fact its lpg but i didn't pay for it so thats just a bonus :D

Yes I'd revisit your maths. At 18k pa I reckon the payback will be more like 3 years min.

not sure how you've done your calcs but...yes my original 12 months was optimistic, but my 350 miles/week is just for work.

But according to my calcs even with the 80% efficency defisit (eak spelling) LPG against Petrol Will save me ~£20 a week in fuel ie ~82 weeks to break even.

Petrol used / week £52.34 (1.1299/litre) @ 34mpg.

LPG used / week £31.85 (0.55/litre) @ 27.2mpg (80% of 34mpg).

savings = £20.49 a week.

I know these are calculated figures but talking to people that actually run LPG cars at work, they're about right.

Yes our loverly Govenment may up the cost of duty on LPG in about 2 years but the price that petrols going up your still going to have a big gap between the two.

:Cheers:

Blanchie

Thanks for clearing that up Wrighty! :thumbup:

I simply remember you coming on in the hunt of a replacement engine, and jumped to conclusions... :P :o