Turns out after 2 years that my car is registered as stolen!!

Zetec-S

Can't believe what I've just found out about my (well hopefully mine) Octy vRS. At the weekend agreed to trade it in against a Focus ST (yer I know it uses a ton of fuel, won't be as reliable as a Skoda etc etc). Garage rang me up earlier and told me the HPI check wasn't clean. To say I was shocked is an understatement.

Turns out that it is coming up as an Insurance theft, which from what I can see is that it is still outstanding against a theft in 2004, while I bought it in 2006!!

I bought it from a franchised Renault dealer (one owned by Renault UK at that) and did the normal thing of asking if it was HPI clear at the time and was told it was. Either they were lying or an insurer has managed to back date a claim against it.

Speaking to the place selling me the Focus, looks like I need to have a right go at the Renault dealer, cause even if there is an explanation, the fact that this is registered against the car means that its trade in could be reduced.

Not impressed at all!!

Zetec-s

P.S. Sorry to be leaving but looking forward to the extra 45bhp!!

So the car is CAT D or CAT X stolen recovered? That will affect the value.

Unless you got in in writing "HPI clear" from the renault garage you bought from, I doubt there is anything you can do.

The moral is its best to always do your own checks, they can be done for £5 depending where has an offer on.

Dont worry about it. Sounds like the HPI register was not updated when the car was recovered, it happens sometimes. My old Boxster, when HPI checked came back as finance outstanding with 3 different companies. The skoda dealer sorted everything, he had to contact all the companies to confirm that the debt was paid.

Stolen/Recovered shouldnt affect the value, as all that says is that the car was stolen/insurance settled and later found. As long as its never been a catc or d then all should be well.

Having spoken to the Renault dealer, appears that he is talking to HPI to get it taken off. So fingers crossed.

Like you say if stolen and recovered hopefully won't effect value, although still not impressed that they told me verbally that it was clean when I bought it.

still not impressed that they told me verbally that it was clean when I bought it.

Depending on the sequence of events, its possible that it was clean when they checked. Its quiet possible it was added later, although I cant think why.

I don't think the mpg of the ST is that bad, especially after seeing what some of the Octy vRS guys are getting.

Well maybe not... but the ST's 5 pot sounds awesome... so I for one would be using more right foot just to hear the luverly noise :thumbup:

Well maybe not... but the ST's 5 pot sounds awesome... so I for one would be using more right foot just to hear the luverly noise :thumbup:

The exhaust and that straight 5 together just make the best sound in the world. When I got the vRS I loved the turbo woosh noise it made but the noise the ST makes is something else!!

Coupled with the pops and bangs on overrun :thumbup:

They sound even better when tuned. :cool::D

Over the 635miles I did on the recent Ring trip I averaged 25mpg, thats including my 4 laps.

Just a bit confused here. Are you saying the car is stolen/recovered, or still classed as stolen and not recovered? :confused:

From what I can tell it is classified as stolen!! If it had been recovered I think it should show as nothing outstanding against it, but its not clear to be honest. Somehow I don't think an authorised Renault dealer (and one owned by Renault UK) would have been selling a stolen car if they knew about it, especially as they had taken it in part ex. Always possible the salesman was bent?

From what I can tell it is classified as stolen!! If it had been recovered I think it should show as nothing outstanding against it, but its not clear to be honest. Somehow I don't think an authorised Renault dealer (and one owned by Renault UK) would have been selling a stolen car if they knew about it, especially as they had taken it in part ex. Always possible the salesman was bent?

If it is classified as stolen then I'd get on to Citizens advice pronto and see what your legal options are. As I understand it (I could well be wrong though) you may lose the car as technically it isn't yours, however, you may be able to claim your money back from Renault as they sold a car that wasn't theirs to sell in the first place.

If it was stolen and not recovered, surely this would appear on the DVLA system and therefore it wouldn't be possible to renew the road fund licence? Or am I missing something :confused:

If it was stolen and not recovered, surely this would appear on the DVLA system and therefore it wouldn't be possible to renew the road fund licence? Or am I missing something :confused:

Thats what I've been thinking. Its really strange as the car shows up as stolen in April 2004, but then it also shows the change of owner in Jan 2006 (i.e. me) and the DVLA have allowed it to go through no problems.

It seems that the likely answer is that the car was stolen, at which time the previous owners reported it stolen to the insurers who marked it up as such. Then when it was recovered the insurers were notified but they never took it off the register.

Still not too pleased that it was stolen in the first place and nobody told me, but hey its a second hand car so you never know.

Whatever happens I'm sure I won't be out of pocket, because I asked the dealer and they told me the HPI was clean. If it goes to court who is going to believe a car dealer (from a city with a bit of a reputation for stolen goods) against a Chartered Accountant!

I would have thought your own insurance company would have had something flagged up on their system if it had outstanding claims of some sort on it. Maybe it would be worth phoning them as they would have access to the database where the car's insurance history would be stored

If its stolen & then recovered & didnt go back to the owner the Insurance co will have sold it on & it will always be stolen recovered, I dont think its possible to have it taken off the register but I hope Im wrong. The previous owners name is on the log book, I would try & contact them for some background.

If its still listed as stolen & not recovered then be prepared for a bit of a battle to get it cleared, If it looks like you have got a car with dubious identity the Police will get involved & the first thing they do is take the car away for examination, Ive just had problems with something I bought thinking it was legit & it took 4-5 months to sort out during which time the car was locked away by the police for 3 months in their apointed storage yard. Interestingly it used 1/2 a tank of fuel, kerbed an alloy & lost a couple of roof trims whilst securely parked :mad::mad:

I have no criticism of the Police themselves as in the end they did a thorough job & I came out far better than I might have done.

As yours is still carrying the reg of the stolen car & has been for a few years Im sure it must be an admin error by HPi

Update on the situation. Just got a new report sent through from HPI and the car is now showing as completely clean!!

Spoke to the Renault dealer again this morning and they had contacted HPI to get the stolen report removed. Appears to have worked, so fingers crossed should get the Focus this weekend.

My previous Renault also raise queries with Skoda when I traded it in.

It still showed outstanding finance from the week before I bought it pre-reg. For whatever reason the Renault dealer purchase was still showing.

It was an error in the end and sorted out quickly.

Possibly this is something like that.

My mate has an ST and loves it. He reckons he averages 22mpg. As mentioned sounds great when booted. He can't help but drive like a hooligan in it.

It really should have been the Ford ASBO.

Update on the situation. Just got a new report sent through from HPI and the car is now showing as completely clean!!

Spoke to the Renault dealer again this morning and they had contacted HPI to get the stolen report removed. Appears to have worked, so fingers crossed should get the Focus this weekend.

Excelent result :thumbup:

Woohoo!

Now get 5-cylindering! :D