Clunky Reverse and 1st gear after Helix setup

Alright guys been running the Helix clutch and SMF for a while now,

Ever since fitting its been clunky when stationary going from reverse to first and engaging first, sometimes you need to double clutch it...

It doesn't effect the driving of the car just wondered if anyone else's did this.

Basically when the clutch went on my car it blew itself into a million pieces (not really but went in style)

I replaced it with the full kit but didn't change the release bearing... is this likely screwed?? :thumbup:

Also on the off chance doesn't anyone know the weight of the flywheel? its the revised one :thumbup:

Ta

Jason

• 5 months later...
its because your car has been to the moon and back

RSmike has a point, the moon is a long way!!

Seriousally tho, should have changed the release bearing really.

Could have crud in.

Other than that, i know the single mass flywheels chatter abit more.

Dave

its because your car has been to the moon and back

LMAO :rofl:

if you changed everything else then why not the release bearing ? surely the smf set up would have come with a new release bearing ?

talk about a half arsed job lol

LMAO :rofl:

if you changed everything else then why not the release bearing ? surely the smf set up would have come with a new release bearing ?

talk about a half arsed job lol

Nah wouldnt say that

at the time i didnt know the release bearing needed done - if id have been half arsed i wouldnt of bought a SMF... 30k on its fine so im happy :thumbup:

Edited by jasc1988

I'd be concerned that the release rearing wasn't changed. Site sponsors (JabbaSport in my case) always ship a replacement clutch as a kit including a new release bearing and new clutch-cover mounting bolts.

Another possibility is the dog-bone mount either loose or worn. I didn't realise how bad mine was until I did skudmissile's (thanks John) DIY dog-bone mod on a spare mount he supplied me with.

Fill the gaps around the rubber insert on a spare mount with clear silicone and leave it to cure for a day or three. Leave it somewhere the smell won't bother you. Old one out, remembering to use a trolley-jack and a block of wood to support the gear-box, filled one in, which should be good for 10k to 20k miles, when you can repeat the process with the one you removed earlier.

Apparently - it's a deep dark secret with uprated clutches - by nature they are clunky in low gears and will often creep in first gear, be difficult to engage. A couple of us have so discovered...

I found even 3rd difficult to engage around corners until I did the dogbone mod: http://briskoda.net/technical-guides/diy-uprated-dogbone-guide/106368/ Mine has been on for over a year with no probs. Silicon will fall out...

Don't worry about the slave - I changed mine and had worse problems than you report - you learn to live with it....

HTH

Bas

Apparently - it's a deep dark secret with uprated clutches - by nature they are clunky in low gears and will often creep in first gear, be difficult to engage. A couple of us have so discovered...

I found even 3rd difficult to engage around corners until I did the dogbone mod: http://briskoda.net/technical-guides/diy-uprated-dogbone-guide/106368/ Mine has been on for over a year with no probs. Silicon will fall out...

Don't worry about the slave - I changed mine and had worse problems than you report - you learn to live with it....

HTH

Bas

yeah seems to get 'stuck' in first or 2nd - i live with it.... its not every time just the occasional one

im running the vibrateknics dog bone mount too :thumbup:

could this be why i have trouble engaging 4th from 5th or 6th?

Never a problem going up the box just a problem coming back down.

Did have the vibra mount on but took it off as it shook swmbo to bits:)