Some more new Superb reviews

Just found a couple more Superb reviews:

Lycos Cars review

Some great pictures here, most of which I'd not seen elsewhere.

MSN cars review

From talking with Skoda yesterday, it looks like the full details will be available sometime this week. They mentioned that the details were already in the 'Engage' system, whatever that is.

From what I can tell, new models will be S, SE and Elegance. Elegance will have full leather interior and Columbus as standard. It sounds like the new park assist, and adaptive lighting wlll be options, though.

As soon as the details are available, I'm going to be ordering one, as it sounds and looks brilliant.

Bagpuss.

I have been told by my dealer that a number of Left Hand drive versions are soon to be doing the rounds so that potential purchasers can try it out. If I like I have no doubt I will be ordering one once the UK Specifications are released.

MSN show the usual half a*rs*d journalism we've come to expect nowadays!

"From the driver's perspective, this is a nice place to be. The dashboard is taken straight from the Passat with a few Skoda styling features added"

They obviously havent compared the two cars together as the two dash boards have nothing in common except for mayby the shape but everything else is different

I have read that the car is 20% VW/Audi and 80% Skoda so I would imagine that the 20% is engines, running gear and floor pan and maybe some switch gear but how many other car firms share components, ie: Peugeot, Reanult, Citreon or Ford, Mazda or Vauxhall, SAAB everyone one does it but its frowned upon when Skoda use VW parts.

I do wish these journalist would do their home work or we just get the Top Gear attitude that Skoda's are for tight people who cant afford a VW which is amazing as they dont have the same opinion of Seat!

Does make my blood boil

Actually, MSN aren't totally wrong, they just didn't clarify which Passat.

This months Top Gear magazine has got reviews of both the new Superb and the Passat CC. The dashboards are virtually identical. The only difference I could see was in the steering wheel and the fact that the VW has a different key (for keyless entry etc.).

Bagpuss.

Actually, MSN aren't totally wrong, they just didn't clarify which Passat.

This months Top Gear magazine has got reviews of both the new Superb and the Passat CC. The dashboards are virtually identical. The only difference I could see was in the steering wheel and the fact that the VW has a different key (for keyless entry etc.).

Bagpuss.

the superbs dash is all new. it isnt from the passat!

I am not convinced by the inclusion of the 1.4tsi (turbo / supercharged jobby) as in a Mk5 golf I drove recently it seemed a little gutless and buzzy.

not what you'd expect in a luxo barge, even at entry level, that's a big chunk of metal to move around.

I didn't say they were the same dash, just that they looked virtually identical.

The Superb has borrowed instrument cluster, satnav, gearstick surround and climate controls from the Passat. The contour of the dashboard is definitely different, as are the vents and glovebox facing, but it's clear that there is a lot of cross pollination from the Passat (and why not, it's a pretty good thing to be borrowing from).

Bagpuss.

The problem is that when they made the old Superb, they used the Passat instruments fitted with dials that you just can't see. I drive with my sidelights on all the time just so I can see the pointers - must do a rewiring job sometime so the instrument lights come on with the ignition.

It's all very well copying something from the parent vehicle but it's unforgivable to make it worse. Hope they do better on the next one.

Has the new Superb got that unspeakable electric handbrake fitted to the Passat?

rotodiesel.

I was in the Skodä new car showroom next to the museum in Mlada Boleslav last week and was disappointed that the only Superb on display in there was the old model. I only saw one new one in the Czech Republic, which was on the road out of the town and I managed to get a photo of it at some traffic lights. I'll post it after I return to the UK next week as I'm staying with friends near Munich at the moment.

I didn't say they were the same dash, just that they looked virtually identical.

The Superb has borrowed instrument cluster, satnav, gearstick surround and climate controls from the Passat. The contour of the dashboard is definitely different, as are the vents and glovebox facing, but it's clear that there is a lot of cross pollination from the Passat (and why not, it's a pretty good thing to be borrowing from).

Bagpuss.

Sorry Bagpuss but do you need glasses because the two are completely different, I'll give you the sat nav but all VAG cars will have that in at least one model! but your completely wrong on the rest,

The instrument cluster protrude forward and are angled to the driver on the Superb where as there flat on the Passat,

The gearstick surround is completely different because the Superb has a conventional handbrake where as the Passat doesnt have one,

The climate control are designed to look like a retro stereo on the Superb where as on the Passat there more modern, although i will agree they look like there laid out the same,

And amazingly one thing you said was different, the contour on the dash is about the only similarity between the two!

I always thought that Skoda in the original Superb had taken the Passat dash and made it alot nicer place to be and to look at, even a friend a work with a 56 plate Passat preferred the Skoda finish but on the new Superb I think that Skoda has out designed VW and made the Superb cabin alot nicer and more pleasing place to be, the only thing I would nick of the new Passat is the steering wheel as I dont like the Superb one at all!

Oh well. I can see definite similarities between the two, enough to make me think that one is derived from the other.

How the car actually appears in the flesh is another thing entirely. For me, Skoda has always had a unique branding which differentiates them from other VW marques, and I've no reason to believe the new Superb will be any different.

It'll be interesting to see what our company car drivers think, as most of them would have definitely chosen the old Passat instead of the Superb. I think the new car might have them thinking twice (which is exactly what Skoda want).

From speaking with our leasing company, Skoda have been giving them a very aggressive pitch on the new car, and are really hoping it will do well in the fleet market.

Bagpuss.

Oh well. I can see definite similarities between the two, enough to make me think that one is derived from the other.

similar doesn't mean identical - Where shall we start, each as a steering wheel, 2 dials........ :) Joking aside I do agree with you bagpuss