Variable service intervals

Hi All

My 1.9TDi is set to variable service intervals, but is now on 16500 miles with no indication on the display that a service is imminent. I would have expected it show something by now.

The car has done those 16500 miles since the beginning of Jan this year on mostly A roads/duel-carriageway.

What have others been getting mileage wise between variable services??

TIA

Hi All

My 1.9TDi is set to variable service intervals, but is now on 16500 miles with no indication on the display that a service is imminent. I would have expected it show something by now.

The car has done those 16500 miles since the beginning of Jan this year on mostly A roads/duel-carriageway.

What have others been getting mileage wise between variable services??

TIA

You can check how many miles you have to go until service.

At the end of a journey,

1. switch off the ignition one notch only (to stop the engine) then

2. press and hold the mileage trip reset button in for more than two seconds, until

3. a display comes up telling you how many milkes/days to go 'till next service.

Bingo!

At a quick guess the miles covered plus miles to go (for your motoring) will be around 22,000 miles (your no where near on time). A minimum will be 18,500.

At a quick guess the miles covered plus miles to go (for your motoring) will be around 22,000 miles (your no where near on time). A minimum will be 18,500.

I thought the upper limit on variable servicing was 20k or 2 years. :confused:

At least that's what it was on my other VAG cars (TT/Beetle/Passat)

Managed 16k in the TT and 18k in the Beetle - sadly the Passat was written off before it had the chance of a service :(

I thought the upper limit on variable servicing was 20k or 2 years. :confused:

Two years, yes; but my local dealer told me some time ago that a gently driven Motorway mileage car can go to 25,000 miles or so, before service is due.

Its the whole point of 'variable' service; the ECU keeps track of a multitude of factors and then predicted the right time.

I had a problem a few weeks ago with the exhaust pressure sensor on my DPF and the service prediction plummeted from 18,000 (just been serviced) to 11,000 in about 10 days and 500 miles. Got the sensor fixed and the service prediction has now moved back up to 16,500 and I've covered 2,000 miles in the meantime.

Last time I checked at the gumpf it was 20k variable servicing. It does depend on how you drive on how soon it comes on :) If you are mainly doing fairly consistent A-road and motorway will mean it will be a long service interval. If you rag it everywhere and do track days it will prob be a 10k service anyway :D

You can check how many miles you have to go until service.

At the end of a journey,

1. switch off the ignition one notch only (to stop the engine) then

2. press and hold the mileage trip reset button in for more than two seconds, until

3. a display comes up telling you how many milkes/days to go 'till next service.

Bingo!

Every day's a school day here :thumbup:

Thanks for that, I'll have a look later.