British Wildlife

Scuff

I'm feeling a bit patriotic, so here are some of our native mammals.......

BWC.jpg

BW0.jpg

BWC2.jpg

BWC4.jpg

All together now - AAaaahhhhhh (except the stroppy wildcat) :D

As always........SUPERB!!:thumbup:

Apart from the obvious answer, how & where did you manage to get the shot of the wildcat? Or was it captive?

Cheers

Lance

All of these animals were captive. I do try very hard to get an angle to make them look as natural as possible.

As for the pussy cat, he looked just like your average tabby , but a bit bigger. But when you got withing 10 feet of him is was all hissing and growling. Imagine what it is is like trying to give your pet pussy a bath, with all of the hissing, spitting, clawing and blood (yours) that that entails - then times it by 10 !!!

some great pictures mate. just out of interest what camera have you got as me and my missus are thinking about getting a decent one

cheers

Thanks for the kind comments. Sorry for the delay in replying, I,ve been oop norf shooting this weekend.

The camera used for these was a Canon 1dMkIII, with a 300mm f2.8Lis lens.:cool:

Actually, the lenses are more important than the camera. Yeah sure, the camera helps, but if you have crap lenses.......

some great pictures mate. just out of interest what camera have you got as me and my missus are thinking about getting a decent one

cheers

I have just noticed your locations..... Exactly the same as mine. Guildford/Wellingborough - Kinell:eek:

• 2 months later...

Had another good stroll around today at the London Wetlands Centre. Well worth a visit.

GTMedia-1.jpg

GTMedia-4.jpg

GTMedia-5.jpg

All shot with a Canon 1DsmkII and Canon 500mm f4Lis

• 1 month later...

It’s funny, I’ve been trawling through the POTN site looking at the 50D shots and I can’t say I am impressed with them. I think it’s having seen what the mighty 1D can do that has altered my perception of what is a good shot. Obviously this is directed mainly at Scuff (he of 1D fame), but apart from the skill of the operator and lets be honest if you have a 1D you should be pretty slick or really rich, the crop frame cameras seem to be poor in comparison. I look at the shots from the 50D and they just seem ordinary, in fact I don’t think I have ever seen a crop frame camera produce an image as good as a FF one (assuming reasonable competence of the operators). The colours look all wrong and unsubtle (especially the reds), the contrast doesn’t look right somehow and even thought the images have been sharpened they still don’t have the bite of a FF picture. The Crop sensor images just don’t have any clout, plus I think, to my inexperienced eyes at least, that quite often people look like they have been sorting the levels looking at the histograms, not the shot. I like a picture to look natural and quite often it’s nice to see a calmer shot with less vibrancy and luminance (as long as you can clearly see what you are meant to be looking at).

I guess if I ever get the hang of this Photography lark I am going to have to save up big wonga and enrol on a course, shadow a pro and buy a FF camera. Mind you it’s possible I am suffering from Emperors clothes syndrome?

I think it's because anyone with a 1D, or 5D for that matter, tends to have all the experience behind them and likely a large collection of expensive very decent lenses. I'd expect giving Scuff a 40D to use with his lenses would yield images that are still great quality.

Still, with a 2-300% price difference you'd expect the FF cameras to be a step up from the prosumer cameras. But then I remember taking some lovely photos with am Olympus OM-10 which cost me a grand total of £60, with a 50mm prime and some Ilford B/W film.

It’s funny, I look at the 30/40/50D pictures and see the nice lens not the camera. Usually it’s the great Bokeh, but the camera just doesn’t have the ‘clout’. I agree the most important piece of equipment is the person behind the lens, but doubt even a pro could produce full frame picture ‘clout’ from a crop frame camera. I will find out soon when Scuff gives me the 500mm he promised me:D

I look at the 5D and the 1D and that lot, then at my humble 350D, and yearn for a useable ISO 3200 :D

I still think most of it comes down to technical knowledge and experience. Some of the things studio photographers can do with an infinity curve and half a dozen strobes still amazes me. Regardless of camera, or even lens combinations for that matter.

I think it's because anyone with a 1D, or 5D for that matter, tends to have all the experience behind them and likely a large collection of expensive very decent lenses. I'd expect giving Scuff a 40D to use with his lenses would yield images that are still great quality.

Still, with a 2-300% price difference you'd expect the FF cameras to be a step up from the prosumer cameras. But then I remember taking some lovely photos with am Olympus OM-10 which cost me a grand total of £60, with a 50mm prime and some Ilford B/W film.

Hey Mort, OM-10 = Full frame :thumbup: 50mm primes are invariably as sharp as you like - Junk the zooms ;)

Bearing in mind that my 1DmkIII is a lot less megapixels than my 1DsII. Yet it produces images that are very nearly as good, and in some cases exceed those of the 1DsII.

The pixels are a lot less crammed in on these two cameras and I feel that this is where the ultimate image quality comes from.

50D and 15megapixels tooooo much. You could buy a 1dIIn and have some change, I'm pretty sure that you would be happy with the images. As I'm sure you have heard before, you do not need more than 8mpix unless you are doing huge prints. Also, all of the megapixels will need a good lens to go with them.

Now anyone got some spare cash for the new 24.f1.4L II :D

It’s funny, I’ve been trawling through the POTN site looking at the 50D shots and I can’t say I am impressed with them. I think it’s having seen what the mighty 1D can do that has altered my perception of what is a good shot. Obviously this is directed mainly at Scuff (he of 1D fame), but apart from the skill of the operator and lets be honest if you have a 1D you should be pretty slick or really rich, the crop frame cameras seem to be poor in comparison. I look at the shots from the 50D and they just seem ordinary, in fact I don’t think I have ever seen a crop frame camera produce an image as good as a FF one (assuming reasonable competence of the operators). The colours look all wrong and unsubtle (especially the reds), the contrast doesn’t look right somehow and even thought the images have been sharpened they still don’t have the bite of a FF picture. The Crop sensor images just don’t have any clout, plus I think, to my inexperienced eyes at least, that quite often people look like they have been sorting the levels looking at the histograms, not the shot. I like a picture to look natural and quite often it’s nice to see a calmer shot with less vibrancy and luminance (as long as you can clearly see what you are meant to be looking at).

I guess if I ever get the hang of this Photography lark I am going to have to save up big wonga and enrol on a course, shadow a pro and buy a FF camera. Mind you it’s possible I am suffering from Emperors clothes syndrome?

Yer know what Amanda, I'm with you on this one. I often look at technically good images from the *0D series cameras, but no matter how hard you try, they do not quite match the oozing quality found on the 1 series cameras when shots are compared like for like.

Now I may be incorrect - but to me I can see and feel the difference, and thats all I care about.;)

Yer know what Amanda, I'm with you on this one. I often look at technically good images from the *0D series cameras, but no matter how hard you try, they do not quite match the oozing quality found on the 1 series cameras when shots are compared like for like.

Now I may be incorrect - but to me I can see and feel the difference, and thats all I care about.;)

So perhaps I can copywrite the phrase ‘Clout’ with respect to the differences:D. Can’t think of another single word that encompasses all the differences. The funny thing is you can still tell if the x0D Camera has a great lens on it, it’s just that the picture is a diluted version of a FF.

On a side note, I have seen some of the HD vid that comes out of the 5DII and it is very impressive. I wonder if the stills image quality will match the 1Ds? I realise it doesn’t have a lot of the Pro features that real snappers might want, but it does look as though it will take a very nice picture.

Mmmmm, whilst the HD I have seen is good quality, I just do not want to be paying extra for a 'feature' that I wouldn't use.

Please Canon leave it off of the pro models along with the pop-up flash.

I wonder what the sales figures would be like if a manufacturer sold 2 versions of a Hi Spec SLR. One version with HD video but costing £300 more.

Mmmmm, whilst the HD I have seen is good quality, I just do not want to be paying extra for a 'feature' that I wouldn't use.

Please Canon leave it off of the pro models along with the pop-up flash.

I wonder what the sales figures would be like if a manufacturer sold 2 versions of a Hi Spec SLR. One version with HD video but costing £300 more.

I have a feeling Canon have created something most people don’t want, but now every major Manufacturer will have to put on to their cameras. It’s probably in part because people are moving slowly up the food chain from Compacts to Prosumer through Semi-pro cameras to FF. They probably like the feature. Although, does it cost that much more to make, once you have live view, you are just dumping digits onto a flash card, so I would imagine most of the hard work is in the electronics.