Was my Octavia 2 car security breached?

I found this morning the light lamp in the middle of the ceiling (the back lamp) broken (the two screws that keeps the lamp are broken) and the lamp hanging from the ceiling. I can't believe the lamp was defective from the start (the car is manufactured in October 2005) and right now it just happened to drop while standing overnight in the parking.

Can it be that somebody entered the car disabling the alarm (??) which is a pretty good one also with motion sensor but if they had the newest RF tool and the alarm was shut down then all it takes is to start the car - and I know O2 has the chip in the key to make ignition work. Is there a system to tamper with the lock mechanism using the ceiling lamp in the O2?

Please tell me should I buy a newer alarm? Thanks

I found this morning the light lamp in the middle of the ceiling (the back lamp) broken (the two screws that keeps the lamp are broken) and the lamp hanging from the ceiling. I can't believe the lamp was defective from the start (the car is manufactured in October 2005) and right now it just happened to drop while standing overnight in the parking.

Can it be that somebody entered the car disabling the alarm (??) which is a pretty good one also with motion sensor but if they had the newest RF tool and the alarm was shut down then all it takes is to start the car - and I know O2 has the chip in the key to make ignition work. Is there a system to tamper with the lock mechanism using the ceiling lamp in the O2?

Please tell me should I buy a newer alarm? Thanks

Got kids by any chance? :rolleyes:

No kids here, no one to pull the light like crazy to break it from the screws.

I had some stuff in the glove box, nothing missing, very odd that's is why I'm stupefied and the only explanation I have that they were professionals looking to take the whole car not just gimmicks from the glove box.

Isn't the chip from the original hey safe? What would they want with the light? Can a short circuit there can override something and the car would start with a fake key? I moved the car, so the car works fine.

only two keys i beleive can be programed to the car so if you have both then nothing to worry. The only way im aware of getting past the alarm on modern day cars (and dont know if it works on skodas) is a remote door bell being pressed near to your car as you press your blip key, this blocks the signal and leaves your car unlocked (one reason i have the bleep feature so i know its locked).

apart from that could it not have broken with time and how plastic becomes brittle with age?

I really hope that is the case, but still I can't figure how that piece to have failed after just 3 years, it's nothing that moves (or is it moving along with the body of the car?). It's not normal anyway - but if it's only a small defect I will not worry. The bad thing would be if my car is unprotected from burglars.

If you are concerned go up a main dealer and have them check that it all works still. Maybe lock the car with you in it and see if the alarm goes off.

If you are really concerned get it fixed properly and at the same time have something like a clifford alarm with black Jaxx and a tilt alarm fitted.

This would stop people lifting it or getting very far if they stole the key.

Another option is that the screws were done up too might and eventually with the heat/cold the plastic finally gave up under stress.

Another option is that the screws were done up too might and eventually with the heat/cold the plastic finally gave up under stress.

Twas very hot here yesterday so if the car was sat in the sun?...

The car sat in the sun many times and in sub zero temperatures, down to minus 20 in winters, but the plastic can crack but not broke away on its own. But again if somebody were to broke in the car they can't do anything by tampering with the light, somebody from where I have installed the alarm told me this would be foolish.

The car sat in the sun many times and in sub zero temperatures, down to minus 20 in winters, but the plastic can crack but not broke away on its own. But again if somebody were to broke in the car they can't do anything by tampering with the light, somebody from where I have installed the alarm told me this would be foolish.

They could have disconnected the sensors to the alarm and fiddled with the wire so it looks like it's all ok?

To sum up though if you're worried get it all checked and some extra, possibly mechanical security fitted.

(one reason i have the bleep feature so i know its locked).

I wouldn't trust that 100%, if your door isn't fully closed the car will still bleep when lock button is pressed. Try leaving door open and press the button ;)

Guys, I guess the lamp broke by itself. The car is fine, alarm good, doors locking.

@gaff .. if I leave a door open or the trunk the alarm bleeps more than once

@gaff .. if I leave a door open or the trunk the alarm bleeps more than once

Maybe I was getting mixed up with mk1 :confused:

Just checked mine and it WILL Beep once if either rear or front passangers door is open, BUT Will NOT beep at all if the drivers door is open.....interesting.

Beeping twice happens when Opening car.