Bike Chat

KTP

given most people i know currently either have done or going for their bike licence.

i'm currently thinking/wanting badly to do the same.

who here has bikes, when did you go for the licence, was it hard and what do you ride?

I've got a bike but dont get out on it much.

ZXR 400 SP flat slide carbs, close ratio gear box, its even got a slipper clutch as standard which is great considering its now an old bike. Looking at getting something else as its just too small for me and if i'm on it for more than an hour or two at a time I get cramp and various aches and pains. It doesnt suit the taller rider.

Did my Bike DL years ago. Didnt pass first time, put my foot down on the U turn. The examiner took me down a little back road where there was only enough room to park a car on one side of the road. I knew straight away I wasnt going to make the U turn and was really p1ssed off for the rest of the test knowing i'd already failed.

The hazard perception test was new to me, didnt have that when I did my car test. Not a problem at all if you already drive. Not a problem if you dont have a car as long as you use your common sense.

I did the direct access bike test and I didnt find it easy but it wasnt hard either. I think the hardest thing is confidence. You only have a couple of days to get used to the bike and learn what you need for the test so its hard to build up your confidence in such a short space of time.

I'm in a similar boat Keith.

I've got a bike (CBR600) but no license.

Am planning on going to Honda Two Wheels near Cameron Toll for my test though, just do the whole week training, with test at the end.

Think it comes in at £630 if you dont have a CBT or anything.

£530 if you already hold a valid CBT.

Although everyone is warning about the changes coming up in October, so i'd better get my finger out!

Also need to go book my theory.

Oooh bike test :(

Well I passed mine on the 3rd attempt

Dont be put off though

I am 5ft 3.5" and my legs go all the way up to my knees :lol:

But I wanted to do my DAS , I was determined I was going to do it

I did my CBT and it was fantastic fun!!!

So then I got a little 80cc bike to train on

I went all over on that

So then started doing my DAS over a long period of time to buil up confidence too (as I am a shortie)

After then I was pushed in to do the DAS test after only being on a 50cc for approx 2 hours

I did not feel that this was right , but I did it and failed due to the turn in the road and locking up on the emergeny braking (first time I ever did it :( )

But the examiner was an older guy , and I had him for my second test

So again I had a try

He took me on a 125cc test course :( fuming aint in it :(

I did a turn in the road that was only just wide enough for 2 car width

Then there was parked cars all over , I was absoluetly doing myself

BUt I did it , I could not believe that I did it , with all the life savers in too!!!!

Got back to the test centre , I was so happy , but I failed!!!!!!

He said I wobbled on the turn in the road and I indicated slightly too early for a left turn :(

So I decided I was going to go to another test centre and had a couple of hours with an alternate training centre too

Got a bit more miles under my belt

I passed

It too 2 years and 1 week from passing my CBT to my DAS

10th January it was when I passed

It was fantastic!!!! Great feeling

The main thing with the DAS is that you have to do it on a 500cc bike and they are usually too high for me

But hey I have a lovely 400cc bike now and I love it to bits

Now I just dont get the time to ride it :(

But hey....... one day

Do it , have fun , but be very careful

My dad always says to me "On a bike , you are only as good as the worst driver on the road"

Can you tell , he does not approve of me having a bike?

Mid life crisis ;) ?

Sarah

I've got a bike but dont get out on it much.

ZXR 400 SP flat slide carbs, close ratio gear box, its even got a slipper clutch as standard which is great considering its now an old bike. Looking at getting something else as its just too small for me and if i'm on it for more than an hour or two at a time I get cramp and various aches and pains. It doesnt suit the taller rider.

I used to have a ZXR400 L2. I know what you mean about the comfort:rolleyes: I did 10 hours in the saddle one day. couldn't walk for a week after it:P

I did direct access too in 2000. I did 1 hour lessons once or twice a week for 3 months then the test. It was all included in the up front price. It was a good laugh learning to ride. I passed my test first time but I got marked down for not doing a great emergency stop (it was November and snowing).

Don't have a bike any more. SWMBO made me sell it after dropped it at about 40mph outside her mothers.

I was 'allowed' a fast car to stop me moaning about not having a bike but it's not the same:(.

I am the wrong person to ask :) I passed mine on an RD250DX just after my 17th Birthday :)

One of my best mate's is an instructor at a school in Nantwich and has sorted out some great deals on Direct Access and CBT for people I have sent over to him.

PS

Now Riding XR 600 Supermoto and a fairly heavily modified (and ultimately supercharged) Z1000.

I can't really do "proper" Superbikes anymore because of a couple of medical factors and the last true superbike I had was a GSXR1000 K5

Sarah, I've got 2 female biker friends about your height (and some taller ones, but that's not important right now ;) ). One of the 2 presently rides a Kawasaki 600 commuter with a bikini fairing; the other had a Yamaha Virago, and swapped it for an R6. My advice would be to talk to a good place about setting the seat height (and maybe preload cos if you're only iccle you're likely quite light too).

Sarah, I've got 2 female biker friends about your height (and some taller ones, but that's not important right now ;) ). One of the 2 presently rides a Kawasaki 600 commuter with a bikini fairing; the other had a Yamaha Virago, and swapped it for an R6. My advice would be to talk to a good place about setting the seat height (and maybe preload cos if you're only iccle you're likely quite light too).

:lol: light....bless you Ken , the more you talk , the more I like you :lol:

I must admit they had the shaved seat for the 500`s when I was traing

It was funny , they forgot to swap it over one day

I went out , turning left at a junction , I needed to stop , so put my left leg down

My right leg behind the knee was on the seat by the time I reached the ground

The guys I was with (instructors) was on the road opposit rolling on the path as they was watching me :(

They said they could see my eyes getting bigger

Then they said , no we are not helping , get out of it yourself

But I did it , the piggin shuffle way....

Sarah

Ah another biking thread.

I've got 2 bikes at the mo.

A honda CBR900RR Fireblade :thumbup:

A honda CB400 super four :)

two great bikes, I would suggest doing your bike test asap, bikes are so much cheaper than a car to run, and they are more fun, and go faster for much less money!!

(ie a ferrari compared to a zzr1400, or busa) :eek:

But its more than that, Riding a bike can be a great experience, meeting new people, and feeling like you and the bike are one as you ride down the road, much better feeling than being stuck in a boring car. (except skoda's they arn't boring:cool:)

I passed my test 1st time, when i was 17, (had a moped since i was 15), im now 19 going on 20 and I have ridden many bikes, and i have to say i prefer bikes to cars always. - Although a nice octy vRS might be nice:D

did my test aged 18 so missed all this DAS stuff.

my first bike was a Yamaha RD80LC which got blown up quite regularly. that was followed by a Kawasaki KR1S which was fantastic but crippling to ride then a 5 year gap to a ZXR750K1 which got nicked :(.

gonna have to do my bike test again if i wanna ride over here, hopefully next spring :thumbup:

Mark

No road licance.....yet! Hoping to sort that out soon though.

Riding a RMZ250 (MX). Got a full Rocket pipe on it and some lil bits on the carb, get plenty of these :D

Had a go on one of these the other month, they are to much fun! Hoping to get a supermoto when I pass :)

aprilia_sxv_supermoto_racer_experience.jpg

Shaun